New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brand New Oculus Quest stuck in USB update mode

my brand new Oculus Quest is stuck in USB update mode, Auto scrolling without me touching any buttons, and powering itself on and off again. I have tried holding down the power button for 2-30 seconds with and without the volume buttons. When plugged in it has a solid red light on as it is powering itself on and off again. I had it working last night and this morning with various apps and waited until it went through the full update when I first set it up. I am really hoping for an easy fix and that I haven't bought a dud. Any ideas?

Comments

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Have you tried charging it until that red light turns green?
  • PonBonPonBon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine is too do you know what the problem is 
  • Rayne23Rayne23 Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    Im having the same issue, has anyone came across a solution?
  • RedBarn5RedBarn5 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine just started doing this - did anyone get it resolved?  It looks like an ongoing issue that they have, judging by the dates on here 
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Neo
    Well, by all accounts 4 of you have this problem, out of 1000's so I don't see it as a major issue, mine is not doing this......

So have you all tried to do a factory reset ? and can only assume that all last years posters have fixed it.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • briankandersonbriankanderson Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Also having the same problem.
    Auto-scrolling through the "USB Update Mode" menu.
    No button combo allows me to move past this screen. :-(
    Has been working great for a couple weeks now since I received it - now this.

Any further suggestions from anyone?
    Neo
    Try a factory reset as detailed here :- 
    https://support.oculus.com/263086061243965/
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • spookfighterspookfighter Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 2020
    same problem,, brand new, stuck in usb update mode. you cant reset, you cannot update, its just stuck
    Neo
    Try leaving it on until the battery goes flat.  Your going to have to submit a support ticket.
  • 3vilEmpire3E3vilEmpire3E Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @Umpa_PC  I too am having this issue and i opened a support ticket.  they wont do anything for me even though its so new im still under warranty.   further if a factory reset was possible i would do it but nothing can be selected.  i have been trying every possible combination of buttons.  nothing works.  at this point i feel ripped off by the company and am genuinely upset
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,365 Volunteer Moderator
    Hold the power button for 20 seconds, it will reboot. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • karmacomposerkarmacomposer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yes, does long-pressing the power button till it shuts off or reboots working?  Does allowing the battery to die and then charging it to full and turn it on allow you to use it?  I would definitely stop trying to update via USB till it's resolved.

Mike
  • felinefrenzyfelinefrenzy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the same problem.   Holding the power button 20 seconds or even longer and that doesnt work!  Did anybody get this resolved?  If so, how???
  • BaeBae48BaeBae48 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anyone got a fix for this issue yet? Seems to be a problem a lot of us are seeing you would think they would offer a fix.
  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 164
    Art3mis
    hold power button and volume - button down until it shuts off
    8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun
  • nishruu2nishruu2 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    factory reset ....full recharge,start again...lol
  • Mloading_19Mloading_19 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Nothing works u cant click factory reset it scrolls past it if u try and it dosent connect using a phone just stuck there and its been like this for months i dont know what im supposed to do with it. I will honestly open he system and reset it there somehow if i can

• richpippyrichpippy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Purchased the Oculus quest 2 early Nov 2020 had it 2weeks, and it's stuck in "USB UPDATE MODE" showing 5 options I've tried, BOOT DEVICE, FACTORY RESET, and none of these 2 options will command with the power button with a short press or long press, it will show me DEVICE INFO and allow me to POWER OFF  and that's it, I can only think there's a issue with the software, I've read so many people with these issues, I'm now going to return the headset back to where I purchased it as it's classed as not working.
  • Shauns78Shauns78 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I've got a similar problem. Software update on an original quest and half way through it lost controller tracking. Performed a factory reset being suspicious of a failed software update. Now it bounces between factor reset menu and trying to boot, but cycling between the default launch screen and a blank screen. Sound is present through out, no matter if visuals are there or not.

This is certainly a failed software update, as this did not happen to me until I attempted to update to the latest and greatest. Now I'm stuck. 

Technical support does not seem to know what is going on and also seems wholly unwilling to provide actual support. 

This is frustrating at the least and is significantly encouraging me to invest in a different platform. 
  • QupoQupo Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Any new update regarding a solution to this problem?
  • niachitoniachito Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi, any update? I had a one week device stuck in usb upload mode. 

Also I'm from Argentina, I can't send it to a store.
  • HPS_SnrHPS_Snr Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem,, brand new, stuck in usb update mode. you cant reset, you cannot update, its just stuck. I tried all the suggestions above and sat with Oculus online support for a long time. They do not have a solution yet, will get back to me in 3 to 5 days.
  • LucyandCooper.2018LucyandCooper.2018 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem, I've had the device less than a month. USB update mode.  Factory reset (CHECK), Drain power and then charge all the way (Check), Held power for 30 seconds (Check), Opened a support ticket, they will respond in 2 days.
  • v41kv41k Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey, did they ever get back to anyone on that support ticket? What was the fix?
  • tesswebtessweb Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just got quest 2 yesterday haven’t been able to play it as it’s stuck in usb update mode. Store is out of them so have to wait till they get more. This is the worst tried everything too getting it to work. Nothing works. 
  • Tinytiger910Tinytiger910 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue and having tried all of the options listed above. Opened Oculus ticket and just waiting at this point.
  • ClarensGrollmannClarensGrollmann Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    Same issue with me