heat dissipation technique — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

heat dissipation technique

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 561
Trinity
i was reading about how facebook wanted developers, arm in the article, to make heat less hot;

"reducing the heat that today’s processors emit"

i have a fan in my room, and it blows air on me while i sit on my chair and i had a thought.

if heat is finite, it can travel through the air and i can feel the heat in the air the fan pushes on me, but if i put a obstacle in-between me and the air the fan is pushing, the heat energy will be used up getting past the obstacle, which would make the air reaching me more cool.

so i have a old piece of plastic mesh from the crafting section of the walmart down the road and i got some of my nylon zip ties

i put the plastic mesh in the front of my fan and held it in place using the nylon zip tie and it made the air from the fan cooler.

see the attached picture to see my fan.

so my idea for facebook to reduce the heat is to have the fan they blow on stuff to cool it, to have the fan push air through a mesh like im using and then the heat will get absorbed by the mesh making the cooling system work better and make it so you need less energy to have the same cooling.

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,875 Volunteer Moderator
    Have you tested your results to verify your hypothesis? I think that the air will use up kinetic energy, rather than thermal energy, to get through the mesh. Meaning you’ll have slower air on the other side, and thus less effective cooling for the same amount of energy expended. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 561
    Trinity
    no i didnt test it i felt it. i was lazy to do an experiment because once it worked i was happy with it.

but i think the material, the mesh, can in fact be warmed up by heat contacting it, the mesh can expand with heat. so the heat does this to the mesh the mesh cools down and contracts and so there is a stabilizing cooling effect going on.

how would i test it?
    Wet bulb thermometer (thermometer wrapped in a damp cloth) would be the way to measure relative cooling due to air flow, with and without the mesh.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Trinity
    edited October 10
    hard to visualize since i never did this test before. a video showing how its done would help, ill google it and see what i find on a wet bulb thermometer test.

edit i found this video, i will look to see how much these wet bulb thermometers cost;

about 40 bucks Canadian. i will buy this at some point and do a test.

Trinity
    edited October 11
    i took some pictures using my flir one thermal camera, see the plastic shine meaning its gathering heat from the fan. i did the flir one thermal camera test so i wont need to do the wet bulb test.

It's not surprising that forcing air through a mesh will generate heat--there's friction from the obstacle to the air flow, so kinetic energy gets converted to heat. That doesn't imply that the air on the other side will provide more cooling though--it will be slower moving, and probably warmer (because it will carry some of that heat generated from friction).

Seeing heat in the mesh doesn't verify your hypothesis that this setup will generate more efficient cooling. If it could, then refrigeration and air conditioning would be much simpler than they are. What you're expecting to happen sounds to me like it defies the second law of thermodynamics.
    Trinity
    edited October 11
    so i tested on a wet rag, which was behind the mesh, the mesh was in-between the fan and wet rag.

i had to hold the mesh using a holding stick, which i hold my phone on and attach to my desk from time to time, more as a novelty.

also where i held the mesh affected the results. if i held the mesh against the fan, and held the flir one thermal thermometer close to the wet rag the results were vague, i figure the wind direction and other variables like wind direction were affecting the measurement.

so i moved the wet rag flat on the chair, put the fan up close to the chair, held the phone flir one thermal camera in the same position for both with and without the mesh, and took a comparison photograph.

doing this i saw a definite result to putting the mesh in the way, i held the mesh close to the phone and wet ray, about a foot away from the fan.

i will attach the photos and write the results here;

no mesh = 14.9
    with mesh = 14.1

i moved the phone for test 2, done a few minutes after test 1;

no mesh = 15.3
    with mesh = 14.7

not much difference, but i feel its cooler. now to put the mesh back on using nylon zip ties.
    Trinity
    edited 3:26AM
    a bit off topic, but there is an urban legend people who made a car run on water as a source of fuel;

then theres the urban legend of the perpetual machine that uses magnets;

then theres the urban legend i made here of the second law of thermodynamics being a bit off because the fan is supposed to made the grill in front of it hotter which makes the fan push hotter air which isnt what happens.

now if you put all these urban legends together you get the source of fuel for the car that uses only water.

if i refine my idea of the grill, theres the grill and the opposite side of the grill from the fan which was the wet rag. if i refine that to have a solid object to replace the wet rag, then put the two together stacking them together. this is to get the effect of cooling the wind from the fan.
    now i havent made this stack so i dont know if its even possible, this is just a theoretical stretch of the imagination to make the water fuel idea workable.

if you have the water be turned to steam by the revolving magnet free energy machine, the steam goes into a tube that has the heat collected on the sides of the tube using my stacked layer. the heated steam collects on the side of the tube and drops down and is recollected to be steamed again.

the air separated from the hot steam continues out the tube there is a separation of hot and cold air that can act to drive the car engine.

then all you need is water for the car fuel.

getting that going you can work on alternative fuel sources for greater energy output.