New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DK2 - Will it come with the hard briefcase like DK1?

RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Posts: 16
NerveGear
edited June 2014 in General
A colleague has a DK1 - and I saw that hardcase/briefcase that it comes in and thought how awesome that is for transporting your Rift around.

Anyone know if DK2 will come with one too?

Comments

• DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    We'll know in bout 3-4 months.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • HadtstecHadtstec Posts: 372
    Hiro Protagonist
    No Hardcase was mentioned in the list of items included when ordering the DK2 and I remember seeing comments that it was cut for cost reasons.

However, that was before the Facebook acquisition.
    Would be a nice touch for Oculus to throw a hardcase back into the deal, even if its exactly the same case as before ;-)
    DK1 | DK2 | GearVR | CV1 Pre-Ordered

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
  • GizmotweakGizmotweak Posts: 734
    I would be happy with a cardboard box and foam liner as long as it gets here by the end of July.

Heck bubble warp will do if it ships sooner.

I don't expect it to spend a lot of time in a case once i get my hands on it.

If it was my call, I would say spend the new (F)oculus Monies on upgraded components and new features instead of a fancy case.
    This space available for advertising.
  • HadtstecHadtstec Posts: 372
    Hiro Protagonist
    Gizmotweak wrote:
    I would be happy with a cardboard box and foam liner as long as it gets here by the end of July.

Heck bubble warp will do if it ships sooner.

I don't expect it to spend a lot of time in a case once i get my hands on it.

If it was my call, I would say spend the new (F)oculus Monies on upgraded components and new features instead of a fancy case.

Ah, but you see its not a "fancy case", rather than a very useful storage and transportation case. You want your DK2 right now, but I can guarantee that it will soon be gathering dust and also would not fair too well if transported loosly in a rucksack or suitcase...
    DK1 | DK2 | GearVR | CV1 Pre-Ordered

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    yes, thats true...point taken.
  • jngdwejngdwe Posts: 566
    Art3mis
    Without a doubt, I want the DK2 to come with a hardcase like the DK1. For developers and enthusiasts who may be moving it around alot, for demonstration purposes especially, it requires a protective case. If it doesn't come with a case, I hope that the DK1 case will fit the new DK2.
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    I certainly hope the consumer release will come with some sort of decent carrying case, I really don't want to have to leave it lying around when it's not in use like I do with my other computer peripherals.
  • geekmastergeekmaster Posts: 2,866
    Nexus 6
    If no case, Oculus or some third party could sell an affordable case for it.
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    So long as they pass the savings from not having to include a case unto the consumer and give us the option, that'll work. I suppose it's more likely that they'll just keep the price the same and use the case as pure profit though.
  • RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I plan on taking my DK2 between the office and home quite regularly - so I hope it comes with the hard case!
  • mscoder610mscoder610 Posts: 117
    Art3mis
    Ben Lang (from RoadToVR) posted a photo of the DK2 case on Twitter. Cardboard, not the plastic briefcase from DK1, but still looks decent to carry around.

Bp6kqpiCUAEDJvb.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/benz145/status/476999664919515136/
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    Well, it's a start. Now we just need to find a nice plastic case that the custom-cut foam will fit in.

Hopefully that's a pretty common size box.

Cyber - any way you could get us the inside (or even outside) dimensions on that?
  • RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Could Oculus perhaps release a hard case accessory? #instabuy
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    edited June 2014
    So long as they pass the savings from not having to include a case unto the consumer and give us the option, that'll work. I suppose it's more likely that they'll just keep the price the same and use the case as pure profit though.

So 10$ makes or breaks the cost savings xD I hate when people say that... it's not like they will use some $50 carrying case or $100 one... Either way, if they include one, you will have to pay for it. Rather that "cost savings" go into making a better VR unit.

I'm cool with the cardboard. Less e-waste this way :)
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    There are many differently sized pelican cases out there.

A good place to start.

The cardboard box is smaller, so it gets to be a situation of packing more on a skid, and these will probably be air shipped and thus weight and volume are both a number to be watched as a cost.

The cardboard box is probably a trade off on delivery speed. You want a big bulky shipping box, a plastic case, you can have one...but....You'll just have to wait an extra 22-25 days for your kit to arrive, as it will be ocean shipped instead.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    They could send my dk2 in a paper bag for all I care. As long as it works, I'm good. I'll use the DK1 case if it fits. If not, no biggie.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • Crespo80Crespo80 Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    IMHO it's an excellent compromise between a plastic briefcase and nothing at all :mrgreen:
    They saved money from the plastic itself, the molds, the added shipping cost due to the weight and bulkiness, etc. and that probably reduced the cost for us :)
  • bostromnzbostromnz Posts: 117
    Brain Burst
    With the foam cutouts it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to 3D print a case. Who wants to design it??
    Corsair 760T - RoG Ranger VII - i7 4790K - EVGA GTX 780 ACX - 16Gb Vengeance Pro - DK2
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    I will try to reuse my DK1 case. Maybe I can get the RiftUp! and the DK2 in one case?
    Box should be black imo.