cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my Quest Rest itself?

MichPopz
Honored Guest
I put my quest on my face this morning after having it powered down the past couple of days and saw the text "Erasing" and then it turned on and was completely empty.  I had to re-setup my device as new and re-download everything (which is a lot).

Any idea why this happened and how I can avoid this happening again.... After working really hard the past few days I was hoping to play for the next hour but now i have to wait for the downloads to happen and annoy my family with reduced internet while i download.

7 REPLIES 7

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Hmmm... maybe you hit the reset in your phone app somehow?
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

kojack
MVP
MVP
It would be theoretically possible to trigger a factory reset by accidental button presses, but very unlikely (turning on by holding power and volume down, then using volume to pick the option from a menu, power to select, then select yes to accept).
Accidentally hitting it in the oculus app is more likely, but still rare I would guess. (Although I've had my Note 8 phone unlock and start pressing buttons in apps while in my pocket, even with the don't unlock in a pocket safety feature).

One possibility is its related to the recent rolling release of version 9.0 of the Quest software. Maybe it upgraded itself while you weren't watching, and something went wrong and it reset.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kingarrilla
Explorer
Something similar also happened to me on Saturday. Developer Mode seemed to turn off.

No chance of it being done in oculus app. It is on a device that was locked in an office over the weekend.

Very small chance of it being done by button pressing configuration. Is it even possible to set developer mode through the bootload anyway?

TomBomb_FR
Explorer
This has happened to me for the second time today.

It happened before but it was around the release of a big update so I thought it was related. But now, it just did so again. I turn on my quest, the Oculus logo stays on for ages, and at some point, I see "Erasing". I'm going to have to set everything back up, and of course, my saves are lost too!

Seriously, the Oculus Quest is a pretty good device, but God is it unstable. Freezes, crashes, resets like this every now and then really hurt the experience. Come on, Oculus, get your  .... together !

Digikid1
Consultant
It IS an android device.  Hence unstable.

TomBomb_FR
Explorer
Thank you, that's a very useful comment...

Digikid1
Consultant

Thank you, that's a very useful comment...

I aim to please.  You're quite welcome. B)