New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Software Releases FAQ

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 148 Oculus Staff
edited October 16 in General

Hi everyone - On the past few release note threads, I've noticed that there are some common questions and misconceptions that pop up each time regarding our software release process. I've put together this FAQ to help explain how our rollout process works. If there are additional common questions in the future, I'll add to this post here. Please let us know if you have any feedback or additional questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can!

Oculus Software Releases FAQ

Q: The release notes have been posted, but I have not yet received the latest update. Why not and how do I get it?

A: With each software update, we roll out the release gradually to ensure stability of the software. When release notes are posted, this signals that we have begun rolling out the software update to a percentage of users. Assuming everything looks good as we monitor the rollout progress and initial user feedback, we continue rolling out the software update to a larger percentage of users until it is rolled out to everyone. This typically occurs over the course of a few days. One exception here is the PTC (public test channel) for Rift software. When a new PTC update is rolled out, it is available to all users who have opted into the PTC at the same time.

Q: What is the PTC (public test channel) and how can I opt in?

A:
The PTC is a release channel where you can try out and provide feedback on an upcoming software update before it is released to everyone. The PTC is only available for Oculus PC software (Rift and Rift S) at this time. If you would like to join the PTC, head to Settings > Beta within the Oculus desktop software and toggle the Public Test Channel option. Please note that you may encounter issues with a given PTC release since it is pre-release software, but you can always opt out which will return you to the latest non-PTC software version. We rely on user feedback to help us improve each software release and ensure that any issues are resolved before the update is made available to all users.

Q: How do automatic software updates work on Oculus Quest and Oculus Go?

A:
If there is an available update for your Oculus Quest or Oculus Go device, it will download the update automatically if the device is on and in sleep mode. If you are currently using your headset or it is fully powered off, it will not download the update during that time. The next time the device is powered on and left in sleep mode, it will download the update. We recommend plugging your device in to ensure that it has enough power to complete the update process. Alternatively, you can use the new manual software update option to search for an available update.

Q: You recently released an update that includes the option to manually check for updates on the Oculus Quest. How does that work?

A:
As of the 9.0 software update on Oculus Quest, you can head to Settings > About > Software Update to check if there is an available software update. While release notes for a new Quest software update may have been posted (indicating that the rollout has begun), this new feature will only find an available software update to download if you are part of the percentage of users that we have made the update available to at that time. As we mentioned above, we rollout new updates gradually over time to an increasing percentage of users. You must be part of the group for which the update is available at that time in order to manually find a new update.

Q: Someone in my region has received the latest software update, but I have not. Why?

A:
Rollouts are not determined by region. Rather, we start each rollout with a percentage of our global users and ramp that percentage up over time. Other users in your region receiving an update is not a good signal that the update should be available for you as well, but you can typically expect to receive the update within a few days.

Q: How can I provide feedback or receive support on an issue I’m experiencing with a recent software update?

A:
If you are running into an issue for which you need support, please first head to our support center and see if we may have already documented some troubleshooting steps for your particular issue. If that does not answer your question, please use the Contact Us link to open up a ticket with our support team.

For Rift and Rift S, if you believe you are running into a bug that may need to be resolved with a future software update, please use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop application to send us a report of what happened. Please be aware that you will not receive a response, but it will allow our engineering team to review your issue and look into possible resolutions. For all other platforms (Quest, Go, Gear VR), please open up a support ticket and provide your report there.

Finally, if you simply wish to leave feedback in the form of a feature, functionality, or enhancement request, please head to the Oculus UserVoice channel and send us your idea!