cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link usb-c to USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 pc

Wolf1976
Explorer
Hello

I have a Oculus Quest and love it but want to connect it to my pc when the Link cable/option is released.

What i have read is that the cable on both sides has a USB-C connection which i do not have on my motherboard (MSI B450A Pro)

I do have 2 USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 ports which i can use, now comes my question.

To do this i need to use a adapter but is this possible? does this affect the speed and perfomance to the oculus ? Or can i do this without problems.

second option would mean a new PCI-E card with USB-C connection but that mean more investing.

13 REPLIES 13

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
As far as I understand it, the new cable will have a USB-C connection at one end (that plugs into the Quest) & a standard USB 3 socket on the other, in which case one of your 3.1 ports should be ok?

Wolf1976
Explorer

As far as I understand it, the new cable will have a USB-C connection at one end (that plugs into the Quest) & a standard USB 3 socket on the other, in which case one of your 3.1 ports should be ok?

Thank you, i hope so that would solve the issue

vargablood
Expert Protege
Yes you can plug it to any USB3(3.1) Port even if theres an Type A Connector on pc side only. There should be no performance difference between specification comparable usb 3.0 or 3.1 cables with typ a <-> usb -c or usbc <-> usbc connector.

enigma01
Trustee

From images I’ve seen of the Oculus Link cable it’s USB C connection both ends (the same as the standard cable supplied with the Quest). However the OC6 announcement it was said that any high quality USB 3 cable can be used. So you don’t necessarily have to use Oculus Link cable.

Wolf1976
Explorer

enigma01 said:

From images I’ve seen of the Oculus Link cable it’s USB C connection both ends (the same as the standard cable supplied with the Quest). However the OC6 announcement it was said that any high quality USB 3 cable can be used. So you don’t necessarily have to use Oculus Link cable.

Thanks i can always us a adapter from USB-c to A 3.1 2gen, i found something like these specs for a adapter 

Delock adapter
Specificaties:
USB 3.1 C to USB A adapter,
Type: 3.1 Gen 2 - SuperSpeed+,
connection 1: USB C Female,
connection 2: USB A Male.

• Connector:
1 x SuperSpeed ​​USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) Type-A male (host)
1 x SuperSpeed ​​USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) USB Type-C ™ female 
• Chipset: Etron EJ179V

PhenixS1970
Protege

Found the below cable on Amazon and ordered it anticipating the Link beta 🙂

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB
Right Angle Cable (5 m, Up/Down Angle on the Type-C end)"

Wolf1976
Explorer

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB

Cant find it do you have a link?

PhenixS1970
Protege

Wolf1976 said:

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB

Here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Right-Angle-Cable-Down/dp/B07LBT4RG5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=USB+3.1+Type-...

PhenixS1970
Protege

Wolf1976 said:

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB

Here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Right-Angle-Cable-Down/dp/B07LBT4RG5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=USB+3.1+Type-...

Actually I think that the left/right angle is a safer bet.  Took a better look at Quest now and I suspect the the up/down angle will come too close to the headstrap.