New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link usb-c to USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 pc

Wolf1976Wolf1976 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Hello

I have a Oculus Quest and love it but want to connect it to my pc when the Link cable/option is released.

What i have read is that the cable on both sides has a USB-C connection which i do not have on my motherboard (MSI B450A Pro)

I do have 2 USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 ports which i can use, now comes my question.

To do this i need to use a adapter but is this possible? does this affect the speed and perfomance to the oculus ? Or can i do this without problems.

second option would mean a new PCI-E card with USB-C connection but that mean more investing.

Comments

• SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    As far as I understand it, the new cable will have a USB-C connection at one end (that plugs into the Quest) & a standard USB 3 socket on the other, in which case one of your 3.1 ports should be ok?
  • Wolf1976Wolf1976 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    As far as I understand it, the new cable will have a USB-C connection at one end (that plugs into the Quest) & a standard USB 3 socket on the other, in which case one of your 3.1 ports should be ok?
    Thank you, i hope so that would solve the issue
  • vargabloodvargablood Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Yes you can plug it to any USB3(3.1) Port even if theres an Type A Connector on pc side only. There should be no performance difference between specification comparable usb 3.0 or 3.1 cables with typ a <-> usb -c or usbc <-> usbc connector.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 227
    Nexus 6
    From images I’ve seen of the Oculus Link cable it’s USB C connection both ends (the same as the standard cable supplied with the Quest). However the OC6 announcement it was said that any high quality USB 3 cable can be used. So you don’t necessarily have to use Oculus Link cable.
    NerveGear
    edited October 16
    enigma01 said:
    From images I’ve seen of the Oculus Link cable it’s USB C connection both ends (the same as the standard cable supplied with the Quest). However the OC6 announcement it was said that any high quality USB 3 cable can be used. So you don’t necessarily have to use Oculus Link cable.
    Thanks i can always us a adapter from USB-c to A 3.1 2gen, i found something like these specs for a adapter 

Delock adapter
    Specificaties:
    USB 3.1 C to USB A adapter,
    Type: 3.1 Gen 2 - SuperSpeed+,
    connection 1: USB C Female,
    connection 2: USB A Male.

• Connector:
    1 x SuperSpeed ​​USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) Type-A male (host)
    1 x SuperSpeed ​​USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) USB Type-C ™ female 
    • Chipset: Etron EJ179V
  • PhenixS1970PhenixS1970 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    edited October 18

Found the below cable on Amazon and ordered it anticipating the Link beta :)

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB Right Angle Cable (5 m, Up/Down Angle on the Type-C end)"

NerveGear

"USB 3.1 Type-C to USB Right Angle Cable (5 m, Up/Down Angle on the Type-C end)"

Cant find it do you have a link?
    Brain Burst
    Wolf1976 said:

Here you go:
    https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Right-Angle-Cable-Down/dp/B07LBT4RG5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=USB+3.1+Type-C+to+USB+Right+Angle+Cable+%285m%2C+Up%2FDown+Angle%29&qid=1571405841&sr=8-1

Brain Burst
    Wolf1976 said:

Here you go:
    https://www.amazon.com/Type-C-Right-Angle-Cable-Down/dp/B07LBT4RG5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=USB+3.1+Type-C+to+USB+Right+Angle+Cable+%285m%2C+Up%2FDown+Angle%29&qid=1571405841&sr=8-1

Actually I think that the left/right angle is a safer bet.  Took a better look at Quest now and I suspect the the up/down angle will come too close to the headstrap.
    NerveGear
    Wolf1976 said:

Here you go:

Actually I think that the left/right angle is a safer bet.  Took a better look at Quest now and I suspect the the up/down angle will come too close to the headstrap.
    Seems like a high price, original cable is around 79 dollars? what is the speed of this cable i dont see specs?

Brain Burst
    Wolf1976 said:
    Wolf1976 said:

Here you go:

Seems like a high price, original cable is around 79 dollars? what is the speed of this cable i dont see specs?

I agree it’s expensive (I started looking around for an appropriate cable once Link was announced but didn’t find any viable retail options here in Belgium).  Considering its usb 3.1 it should be 5 Gbit per second.  Most likely the Oculus cable will deliver a more stable solution but only time will tell.
  • Vern_SVern_S Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Neo Technologist - XR Developer - Rift/Rift S/Quest
    Unity 3D - 3DS Max - Adobe Cloud - iClone
    MSI GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro