cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly Disconnects from WiFi

NosePunch
Adventurer
My Quest keeps disconnecting from my home Wifi, even though I'm only a few feet away from the router.  This is getting annoying.  Are there any solutions that actually work?
17 REPLIES 17

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
Maybe your router keeps switching bands? If your router uses both 2.4 & 5ghz bands and both are giving out exactly the same SSID, it can cause problems. 
Go into your router’s settings & simply rename one (or both), assuming your router will let you (some don’t). Then connect the Quest to whichever band you prefer & hopefully it’ll stay connected.

ezop73
Rising Star
I'd also check your wireless channel to see if your getting interference from your neighbours wifi.. (download an app for your phone to see which channels are best for your location) 

AlexCFS
Honored Guest
disconnect is not the issue, the issue is after it disconnect, sometimes it won't connect back up. I have to switch off wifi in quest and re-able wifi to get reconnection, very annoying

My router is a mesh router group, all 2.4/5ghz on all routers use same SSID. This disconnect issue only occurs when the quest thinks 2.4ghz is better and drop from 5ghz. switch between 5ghz routers seems have no issue.

I learn this by looking at the mesh app, it shows what devices are on the network with 2.4 or 5ghz.

Can we have an option to lock quest only to be on 5ghz?

ezop73
Rising Star
Quest will only connect to a 5ghz network, the disconnections are on your end, you need to separate your 2.4ghz SSID and your 5ghz SSID so you have 2 wifi networks, 1 for 2.4ghz & 1 for 5ghz

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer

ezop73 said:

Quest will only connect to a 5ghz network, the disconnections are on your end, you need to separate your 2.4ghz SSID and your 5ghz SSID so you have 2 wifi networks, 1 for 2.4ghz & 1 for 5ghz

Although 5ghz is probably the fastest, the Quest will work with either 2.4 or 5ghz.

The problem Alex has is that his router won’t let him rename the SSID’s. If he can find a way around this & manages to rename one of them (either 2.4 or 5.0) then he will be able to connect to whichever band he prefers & the disconnections will stop.

A possible solution might be to get a cheap Netgear router (maybe you’ve already got one lying around) & plug it into your mesh router via an Ethernet cable. Set up the cheap router’s WiFi & allow the Quest to connect to that.

ezop73
Rising Star

ezop73 said:

Although 5ghz is probably the fastest, the Quest will work with either 2.4 or 5ghz.

The problem Alex has is that his router won’t let him rename the SSID’s. If he can find a way around this & manages to rename one of them (either 2.4 or 5.0) then he will be able to connect to whichever band he prefers & the disconnections will stop.

A possible solution might be to get a cheap Netgear router (maybe you’ve already got one lying around) & plug it into your mesh router via an Ethernet cable. Set up the cheap router’s WiFi & allow the Quest to connect to that.

For me to get the quest to connect to my 2.4ghz wifi, I have to manually type in the SSID, it doesn't list it on the wifi connection list in the headset nor does my neighbours 2.4ghz SSID pop up (who also has 2 SSID's). so that's in effect is telling me the quest doesn't automatically search to 2.4ghz, therefore its not recommended.

I do understand what his problem is if he has no way of renaming or splitting his SSID then maybe he can turn off 2.4ghz but that in itself is a whole new problem because not everything runs on 5ghz

yep your right if he still cant do any of the above then his only 2 options are buy a whole new mesh wifi setup that will allow both 2.4 & 5ghz SSID radio beacons or buy a cheap and cheerful router just for the quest.

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
ezop73 , if you have to manually type in the SSID then I’m guessing your router simply isn’t broadcasting the SSID. Your 2.4ghz WiFi is active, but the router isn’t advertising the fact.
There is usually a setting on the router...  like this for example..
rey3gv0jv3ir.jpeg

Not that you need to change anything, as yours is working ok as it is ?

Span24
Honored Guest

AlexCFS said:

disconnect is not the issue, the issue is after it disconnect, sometimes it won't connect back up. I have to switch off wifi in quest and re-able wifi to get reconnection, very annoying

My router is a mesh router group, all 2.4/5ghz on all routers use same SSID. This disconnect issue only occurs when the quest thinks 2.4ghz is better and drop from 5ghz. switch between 5ghz routers seems have no issue.

I learn this by looking at the mesh app, it shows what devices are on the network with 2.4 or 5ghz.

Can we have an option to lock quest only to be on 5ghz?

I had the exact same problems with my NetGear R9000.  I had to disable the 'Smart Connect' option which then allowed me to rename the 5GHz SSID then configure Quest to use only the 5GHz SSID.  Perhaps your router has a similar option?  Good Luck!

andy587
Honored Guest
You could try disabling 20/40mhz coexistence. Worked for me on my Orbi setup