cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off the Oculus Rift S?

BazimCZ
Honored Guest
Hello, how do I turn off the Oculus Rift S? When I quit the Oculus software I can still see a white LED in my headset.
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just unplug it. The Rift and Rift S are both designed to be on all the time but sleep when not in use. They still use a tiny bit of electricity because they generate heat to prevent the lenses fogging up when you first put them on.

BazimCZ
Honored Guest
Unplug it every time? Im too lazy on that ... It isnt different way?

Richooal
Consultant
No, it isn't different way.

However, when your laziness is countered by a growing need to turn it off, it will be a suitable solution.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

uKER
Adventurer
I don't get all the paranoia about that light.
The white LED is just a standby light, like mostly every device has.
The headset turns off the moment you take it off.
The standby allows the headset to start the Oculus app the moment it detects you put it on.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

I just stare at the light and feel myself drawn to it until I bump my face into the cushion which breaks the hypnosis.

Then it begins again after shaking my head and blinking.

WAAAGH!

Richooal
Consultant

uKER said:

I don't get all the paranoia about that light.
The white LED is just a standby light, like mostly every device has.
The headset turns off the moment you take it off.
The standby allows the headset to start the Oculus app the moment it detects you put it on.

My Rift has an orange standby light. Are you saying that they changed the colour to white on the Rift S? Oh my god, what about standards people? They should have checked with Lenovo about their standby LEDs before signing over the S.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
But when your headset is plugged in, you can see there is small led glowing on controllers as well. All the time. So if you don't use your headset, but have it plugged in, batteries are constantly drained.

DuxCro said:

But when your headset is plugged in, you can see there is small led glowing on controllers as well. All the time. So if you don't use your headset, but have it plugged in, batteries are constantly drained.

The controllers shouldn't be active all the time, the LEDs on them should go out 4 minutes (approx.) after the headset is plugged in or 4 minutes after the PC boots. They will also become active if they're moved (even by a small amount) or if the headset proximity sensor is activated.

If they're staying active all the time, something is preventing them from going into standby, the headset proximity sensor could be being activated (do you have a VR cover or something near the sensor?) or they may be on a surface that's moving or vibrating when touched... or something on your system is keeping them active, check things like USB power saving settings.

It's possible there's a problem with the controllers but I think it's likely to be one of the other things.