New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift awful jerky movement with NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q

I'm relatively new to VR, and after checking the recommended specs for Oculus Rift (original one, not Rift S) I purchased a HP Omen with an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Max-Q graphics card. The laptop has an i7-9750 processor, 16GB RAM and SSD, so it should easily meet the requirements of the rift. But when I plugged in the rift for the first time I'm getting tonnes of jerky movement and lag when moving my head or controllers around. The screen on the laptop is also doing the same when using the Rift. All I've done so far is the tutorial and tried to navigate the home room, but it's completely unusable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely at a loss as to why this would be the case.
Tagged:

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 938
    3Jane
    edited October 21
    The Max-Q is a 'cut-down' version of the GPU - but still should be able to give you a pretty reasonable experience (my laptop is pretty good with a generation earlier).
    That said, for the first half minute or so, on the laptop, it seems to be doing 'catch-up' and stutters before settling down and behaving.
    Stupid question - do you have an alternative USB port available to try (a powered USB Hub would be nice too) just in case it is a simple data bottleneck.
    I'll wish you luck - laptops are very much hit-and-miss in VR, even those sold as VR Ready.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • paul.carpenter.5076paul.carpenter.5076 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the tips #RattyUK, I'll certainly give them a go. I noticed that the GPU pretty much goes straight up to 100% usage once I launch VR, is this normal or is it a sign that the GPU can't handle the load?
  • paul.carpenter.5076paul.carpenter.5076 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    For anyone else who maybe reading this and having similar problems, managed to fix the issue by altering the PhysX settings in Nvidia Control Panel. It was set to automatically select between CPU and GPU and was clearly doing a bad job! Switched it to GPU only and VR experience was as smooth as can be! Phew, didn't waste all that money on the laptop after all!
  • trek554trek554 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 5
     That makes no sense whatsoever as that setting has absolutely no bearing on anything other than a game that uses hardware physx. And you can probably count on one hand the number of games that have used hardware level physx in the last 6 or 7 years. And in fact of those couple of games they will typically not even let you use the full hardware level physx on the cpu anyway and will just grey out the option in a game or simply run reduced effects. And I am not aware of any VR games that uses hardware physx. Bottom line is what you are describing as a "fix" for your VR games is in no way shape or form any kind of fix at all other than coincidence. 
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 249
    Nexus 6
    That lag and stutter is there every time i and a few other users in the forums put the HMD on and the Home starts. Workaround is to restart the VR system from the desktop apps "Beta" tab. (Yes it works even if you're not in PTC.
    [email protected], ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 938
    3Jane
    trek554 said:
     That makes no sense whatsoever as that setting has absolutely no bearing on anything other than a game that uses hardware physx. And you can probably count on one hand the number of games that have used hardware level physx in the last 6 or 7 years. And in fact of those couple of games they will typically not even let you use the full hardware level physx on the cpu anyway and will just grey out the option in a game or simply run reduced effects. And I am not aware of any VR games that uses hardware physx. Bottom line is what you are describing as a "fix" for your VR games is in no way shape or form any kind of fix at all other than coincidence. 
    But, if it worked for him, he can't be wrong, surely?

It may not work for you, but that isn't at all unusual, is it?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Hiro Protagonist
    RattyUK said:
    trek554 said:
    But, if it worked for him, he can't be wrong, surely?

It may not work for you, but that isn't at all unusual, is it?
    That setting has nothing at all to do with any VR games...
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited November 8
    trek554 I think you are wrong about this one. Physx is used extensively in the Unreal 3 and 4 engines. Maybe not hardware Physx but nevertheless there are many many reports about this option effecting gameplay across the board in UE games.  I can speak from personal experience that this setting absolutely does make a difference.

I have a 2080TI and never had problems with stuttering until Asgards Wrath. It was very noticeable. I read this page and changed this setting from auto to the card and the stuttering went away. You can actually toggle the setting while the game is running so it is very easy to test it for yourself.  The consensus is that it should be set to the card unless you have a powerful enough CPU in which case it doesn't matter.
    Hiro Protagonist
    trek554 I think you are wrong about this one. Physx is used extensively in the Unreal 3 and 4 engines. Maybe not hardware Physx but nevertheless there are many many reports about this option effecting gameplay across the board in UE games.  I can speak from personal experience that this setting absolutely does make a difference.

I have a 2080TI and never had problems with stuttering until Asgards Wrath. It was very noticeable. I read this page and changed this setting from auto to the card and the stuttering went away. You can actually toggle the setting while the game is running so it is very easy to test it for yourself.  The consensus is that it should be set to the card unless you have a powerful enough CPU in which case it doesn't matter.
    a game engine using physx for its physics engine has NOTHING to do with what is being talked about. that setting in the control panel is ONLY for hardware accelerated level physx. a game using normal physx for physics will run everything in software which is only done on the cpu anyway. the ONLY way this setting could be having any impact in a game with no hardware physx is if something is completely borked somewhere. 
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited November 9
    trek554 this topic has been debated so many times in so many forums over the years there isn't any point doing it again here in a forum less dedicated to NVIDIA hardware specifically. Anyone can google this topic and see the consensus. I understand the argument that this setting SHOULDN'T have any global effect but no one from NVIDIA has ever said that, the NVIDIA Control Panel documentation doesn't say that, and no NVIDIA card documentation says that. I don't know where this argument comes from other than random people on forums. The consensus is that this used to be true many years ago before CUDA enabled video cards but now any developer can make use of Physx effects in UE 3 or 4 and any modern NVIDIA card has the capability to accelerate those processes through the GPU. So who is to say that developers aren't taking advantage of that?

Physx effects originally were handled by the CPU unless the application specifically coded for GPU acceleration and then you had to buy the special Physx PPU card. It was a gimmick that never took off and that's why it was phased out and there are so few games that use it. Those cards were discontinued and the API for Physx can now be run on any CUDA-enabled GeForce GPU. (any modern card). We also now how NVIDIA Flex which specifically advertises itself as running these same types of effects on GPU instead of CPU. Maybe the Physx setting effects FLEX as well? I don't know but the Physx setting in the NVIDIA control panel demonstrably adjusts whether and how a physx effect gets accelerated by the CPU, the GPU, or both. I say demonstrably because in all of the many discussions I referenced there are countless people who can replicate their performance change by toggling this setting.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 9
    trek554 this topic has been debated so many times in so many forums over the years there isn't any point doing it again here in a forum less dedicated to NVIDIA hardware specifically. Anyone can google this topic and see the consensus. I understand the argument that this setting SHOULDN'T have any global effect but no one from NVIDIA has ever said that, the NVIDIA Control Panel documentation doesn't say that, and no NVIDIA card documentation says that. I don't know where this argument comes from other than random people on forums. The consensus is that this used to be true many years ago before CUDA enabled video cards but now any developer can make use of Physx effects in UE 3 or 4 and any modern NVIDIA card has the capability to accelerate those processes through the GPU. So who is to say that developers aren't taking advantage of that?

Physx effects originally were handled by the CPU unless the application specifically coded for GPU acceleration and then you had to buy the special Physx PPU card. It was a gimmick that never took off and that's why it was phased out and there are so few games that use it. Those cards were discontinued and the API for Physx can now be run on any CUDA-enabled GeForce GPU. (any modern card). We also now how NVIDIA Flex which specifically advertises itself as running these same types of effects on GPU instead of CPU. Maybe the Physx setting effects FLEX as well? I don't know but the Physx setting in the NVIDIA control panel demonstrably adjusts whether and how a physx effect gets accelerated by the CPU, the GPU, or both. I say demonstrably because in all of the many discussions I referenced there are countless people who can replicate their performance change by toggling this setting.

sigh, I dont need a history lesson as I know all about how physx started. get through your head that a game does not just randomly make use of hardware accelerated physx just because it uses physx for its physics engine. if a game uses hardware accelerated physx then they make that abundantly clear and market that optional feature. the internet is full of morons that have no clue about that setting or what it actually does. many years ago I even saw an idiot even claim it made their performance better in GTA 4 by putting it on gpu in the cp. I guess I cant argue with people that are too stupid to even realize they are stupid.