New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Best VR apps for gait training on a treadmill

vicky.therouxvicky.theroux Posts: 2
NerveGear
I am interested in getting a Oculus quest VR headset for my 9yr old son with cerebral palsy. He has a gait trainer (with a safety harness,) that fits over a treadmill. I would like suggestions for enjoyable apps that would play well and encourage a lot of walking. He cannot fall down or trip while in this gait trainer, but I need suggestions for something that plays well even though he cannot actually turn on his feet. Maybe something with a hand gesture for turning/ducking etc?

I don’t want any games with shooting, punching etc, cuz, well, I am his mom :)

Answers

• max.tyson.0409max.tyson.0409 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    think your looking into the future too much there haha thats some next level ready player one stuff there 
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 544
    Trinity

If you hooked the quest up to a pc I would say give Sprint Vector a try, you move by swing your arms like you are on skies to go straight down a track; no reason you could not be running on a treadmill while you are doing it.

A new one is coming out called Pistol Whip where it looks like you are running straight down a hallway while enemies pop out and you have to shoot them; no reason why you could not play that game while running on a treadmill as well. Treadmill might make the game more immersive you feel like you are actually moving.

• vicky.therouxvicky.theroux Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    think your looking into the future too much there haha thats some next level ready player one stuff there 

VR treadmill training has been used since at least 2016 in clinical settings. Further back if you include Wii games as a form of primitive VR. The only thing it requires of VR is some form of accelerometer input and sensor.  Trying to come up with a more interesting platform than Wii fit jogging game.