New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    If you see only 1 screen (besides your rift screen) in windows then you will have a single large screen in VD, yes. The curved screen option will most likely be useful in your case.

I will work on curved screen prototypes this weekend so if you have a rift and would like to help me test them out, let me know.
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • nitram166nitram166 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Sounds awesome, unfortunately I won't have a Rift before DK2 ships out.
    As I currently do not have one, do you still think I could launch VD and see it as you do other Rift demos?

I read something you discussed here earlier, about it requiring the Rift to be plugged in. Is there a possibility you could remove that restriction and send me that version? I'd then be able to test out the theory of 3 screens -> 1 screen.

- Edit -

Oh s*** I just forgot.
    The image of the screen is projected onto the screen of the Rift.. It's not opened as a fullscreen window on the screen of the Rift (right?)
    If it is possible to open what the rift sees, in a window on top of my Eyefinity screen (3:1) (even though I know this creates an endless duplication effect), then I'd be able to test with 3 screens. Otherwise I'll just run 2 screens with Eyefinity and use the last monitor as the Rift (if possible?).
    Art3mis
    Yea you'll need an extra screen to preview what goes on the rift. If you can make your Eyefinity screen with only 2 monitors and keep the third one as your rift screen, you would be able to run it. PM me your OS (Win7 or 8, 32bit or 64bit) and I'll send you the debug build I use internally.
  • nitram166nitram166 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I can indeed run Eyefinity over 2 screens and run a 3rd screen next to them.
    And I don't mind sharing my OS: win7 64 bit
  • InfinimitsuInfinimitsu Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    So I've tested the latest build and followed your suggestion about running games in windowed mode. That worked fantastically. I've only tested it on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and it looked amazing. Really makes me excited about seeing this in DK2. Here's my notes for this release.

1. Curved screen doesn't seem to work. When I tick the box the Rift goes black, and my main display looks normal. It doesn't crash, though, so I can just untick the box and it goes back to normal. Could this be due to resolution settings? Should my resolution be set to something specific to make this work?

2. Is it possible to add an option to place the screen above your head? I'd like to try to play some games while laying down, or watch a movie and it'd be great to be able to move the screen vertically so I can have my head tilted back and still be able to center the screen.

3. I see what ccs was saying about the image convergence. When I look to the right or left edge of the screen it causes me to strain my eyes. Not sure if it's just me needing to get used to it or if there is something to what ccs was saying.

4. Playing a game from my Steam library worked, like I mentioned. Something that I found worked pretty well for me was that I set my Steam game to run from my Nvidia GPU and I set Virtual Desktop to run from my Intel integrated graphics. That seemed to run a lot smoother with a higher framerate.

Thank you so much for this utility! Really can't wait to see this in DK2 and ultimately CV1!
    Art3mis
    1. Curved screen doesn't seem to work. When I tick the box the Rift goes black, and my main display looks normal. It doesn't crash, though, so I can just untick the box and it goes back to normal. Could this be due to resolution settings? Should my resolution be set to something specific to make this work?
    It is just experimental at the moment as I don't have a DK1 to test it out. It will work with any resolution. Have you tried resetting the orientation (F4)?
    2. Is it possible to add an option to place the screen above your head? I'd like to try to play some games while laying down, or watch a movie and it'd be great to be able to move the screen vertically so I can have my head tilted back and still be able to center the screen.
    That's a good question, have you tried resetting the orientation (F4) when you are laying down? I was thinking that this would do the trick but I may be wrong. If that doesn't work I'll surely add something that lets you do that.
    3. I see what ccs was saying about the image convergence. When I look to the right or left edge of the screen it causes me to strain my eyes. Not sure if it's just me needing to get used to it or if there is something to what ccs was saying.
    Try playing with the screen size and distance. I'm using the same projection matrices as the tiny room demo that comes with the Oculus SDK so I'm not sure what's wrong here. As soon as I get the DK2 I'll be able to adjust things :D
    4. Playing a game from my Steam library worked, like I mentioned. Something that I found worked pretty well for me was that I set my Steam game to run from my Nvidia GPU and I set Virtual Desktop to run from my Intel integrated graphics. That seemed to run a lot smoother with a higher framerate.
    That's good to hear that it works with different graphic cards, I wasn't sure if it would! Yes Virtual Desktop doesn't require any horsepower as it doesn't render anything besides a 2D plane. Running the game on your beefier GPU and hooking your rift to the integrated graphics is a great idea.
  • UnknownFormatUnknownFormat Posts: 39 Oculus Start Member
    Long time lurker on the forum but had to pop up on here for my first post to say that this is superb!

Very good job. Worked straight away on 64bit Windows 8. The curved screen doesn't work for me at the moment but that's not a big deal. As someone mentioned already, can't wait to see this in the dk2. I guess you need to switch to the new SDK before it will work with the DK2 is that right?

Tried playing transistor on Steam and it worked great, again on the DK2 its going to be even better.

Keep it up!

Cheers
    Art3mis
    formatt wrote:
    Long time lurker on the forum but had to pop up on here for my first post to say that this is superb!

Thanks man, feedback like this is what motivates me! As soon as Oculus releases the DK2 SDK I'll be updating Virtual Desktop to support it.
  • shimaajishimaaji Posts: 56
    I just read about this on reddit. Since I don't have a DK1 and will have to wait until August at least for my DK2 I won't be using this just yet I suppose, but since I still have Windows 7 I was wondering:

Will I only miss out on desktop duplication on Windows 7 or is there a noticeable performance impact involved in comparison to using the same software on the same system in Windows 8?

Since I have a lot of stuff set up on my system and I'm currently considering a full Mainboard+CPU+memory swap for late 2015 or early 2016, which is still well within the lifetime of Windows 7, I didn't want to upgrade to 8 until then, unless I happen to run into multiple unexpected reasons to do so. ;)

This program looks really interesting and I'm looking forward to using it, when I get my DK2. So if there are actually significant performance advantages to be had Virtual Desktop might actually become a reason for me to more closely consider upgrading. ;)

tl:dr: Does it run significantly faster in Win 8 or is the desktop duplication the only real difference compared to running it in Win 7?
    Art3mis
    shimaaji wrote:
    tl:dr: Does it run significantly faster in Win 8 or is the desktop duplication the only real difference compared to running it in Win 7?
    There's no difference in performance between Windows 7 and Windows 8 as far as Virtual Desktop is concerned. You'll only be missing the desktop duplication feature but the rest (open on oculus rift, the games list, etc. will still work)
    Art3mis
    I've added the ability to duplicate the rift onto the desktop when playing VR games, this allows you to see what the player sees without having to switch to duplicate mode in windows or use an HDMI splitter.

Note that this is still experimental and not super user friendly. The problem is that Unity doesn't allow the game window to be captured by default so we need to run the game in windowed/borderless mode. To do this, you'll first need to check the option "Duplicate Rift on Desktop in Game". Next you need to launch the game with -popupwindow manually outside of Virtual Desktop, in the Unity Configuration dialog, make sure to check "Windowed". After you hit play, use Shift+Win+Left/Right Arrow to move the game onto the rift. At this point, what appears in the rift should also appear on your monitor.

This will not work at 75Hz with the DK2 since the game will pick up the refresh rate of the monitor it was launched on. Unity doesn't support both the -popupwindow and -adapter arguments at the same time. I'll report the issue and hopefully this will get fixed in the future.

Let me know what you think!
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,306
    Neo
    great, will try this out on DK2 when I get it, and you've had chance to recompile it or whatever. And am on windows 8.1 which I recommend to the windows 7 folk. I was one for ages too and swore I wouldn't upgrade but 8.1 is better than 8.
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | Future Reverb G2/Quest 2 owner | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • schnappyschnappy Posts: 13
    Thank you for this awesome app!!! This is a huge step in the right direction.

So while I don't think it is practical for using it as a normal desktop yet, I was curious and loaded up Wildstar. Well this worked out very well with Wildstar. The way I have customized my UI in the game, I was able to have any important info centered on the bottom of the screen with my FOV mainly just having my character and immediate environments ( depending on my zoom level). I actually played for a good solid 30 minutes. the FPS loss was minimal as far as I could tell. One thing for sure, I am now officially in frenzy mode for my DK2.

Oh and I also loaded up Skyrim with all my ENB and graphics mods in windowed mode... to me, this is a lot better than any 3rd party driver injection method. This is more like playing Skyrim on a giant IMAX screen than being immersed in the world but still really cool!
  • spideysensespideysense Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So I'm trying to install this and I keep running into this error:

http://i.imgur.com/7EPCfAv.png

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit. I've tried fiddling with permissions to no avail. I also found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12894279/msi-error-1001-installutillib-dllcorbindtoruntimehost but it doesn't seem to be something I can do on my own. So I'm a bit low on ideas and need some help.
    Art3mis
    So I'm trying to install this and I keep running into this error:

http://i.imgur.com/7EPCfAv.png
    Thanks for reporting the issue spideysense. Are you logged-in as an administrator user on the machine? If you right-click on setup.exe and click Run As Administrator, that should solve your issue from what I could find. The installer needs to make changes to the registry (for the Open on Oculus Rift feature) and that's probably why you are getting this error.
    Thanks for the update! Curved screen is working much better now!
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    @guygodin

Maybe working in symbiosis with this software can push virtual desktop further? http://www.actualtools.com/virtualdesktops/

Im using their other software, actual multiple monitors, and it is quite competent and nifty.
    Art3mis
    Maybe working in symbiosis with this software can push virtual desktop further? http://www.actualtools.com/virtualdesktops/

If it generated multiple monitors in Windows (kinda like how EyeFinity from AMD combines them into 1) it would work out of the box. But from I can gather it's using it's own proprietary way of handling multiple desktops.
  • ZephyxZephyx Posts: 29
    So, having run into this, it is very much along the same lines as something I was thinking about attempting once I receive my kit. That being said, since you've already got your hands rather deep into this, I was curious about something.

My job at the moment is IT Administration, doing everything from server setup and maintenance to remote desktop sessions for individual clients needing assistance with a wide range of problems. For a program like this, is it feasible to create multiple desktops? For instance, at several points during my day I have 4+ remote sessions going, would it be possible to create 4 windows that I could simply look around to view and work on them simultaneously? Obviously there would need to be at least a way to detect the active window and what not, but at this point I have no real understanding if such a functionality is even possible. Though it would be immensely useful if it were.
    Art3mis
    Zephyx wrote:
    My job at the moment is IT Administration, doing everything from server setup and maintenance to remote desktop sessions for individual clients needing assistance with a wide range of problems. For a program like this, is it feasible to create multiple desktops? For instance, at several points during my day I have 4+ remote sessions going, would it be possible to create 4 windows that I could simply look around to view and work on them simultaneously? Obviously there would need to be at least a way to detect the active window and what not, but at this point I have no real understanding if such a functionality is even possible. Though it would be immensely useful if it were.
    It looks like Microsoft has a Remote Desktop Services API (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383459(v=vs.85).aspx) so I think developing something like you describe is certainly feasible. You have to understand though that with current HMD resolutions, being able to read a single monitor in 3D space is already painful. If you wanted to display 4 of them, each one would get about 200x200 pixels on the DK2 which would make it impossible to read or decipher anything (to get an idea, take a screenshot of your desktop with Print Screen and resize it down to 200x200).
  • ZephyxZephyx Posts: 29
    Ahh alright, still much appreciated for the response, glad to know the idea is feasible at least. Who knows, maybe I can find some method to make the idea work. I actually do have a few ideas, however testing will have to wait till I learn a bit more coding and have a kit to test them :)
    So something I am wondering about. Since I have been using this program to see what games work well with it, I was wondering is there a way to hook my PS3 directly to the PC and somehow broadcast my PS3 Video into a program on windows desktop?
  • UnknownFormatUnknownFormat Posts: 39 Oculus Start Member
    schnappy wrote:
    So something I am wondering about. Since I have been using this program to see what games work well with it, I was wondering is there a way to hook my PS3 directly to the PC and somehow broadcast my PS3 Video into a program on windows desktop?

I guess if you use a video capture card this might work. I haven't looked into them recently but used to use an s-video one a good while back. I'm sure they must have moved on and you can get HDMI inputs now!?
  • AcaideusAcaideus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Is there anyway I can help test to get this running on the Dk2? I will be getting mine on Wednesday.
    Art3mis
    Working on it, should be releasing a new version supporting DK2 later tonight :3
  • AcaideusAcaideus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hell yeah! You're doing gods work good sir!
  • Face9Face9 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Loving it, very handy and saves lots of "Make this my primary monitor" swapping, thanks!
    Works nicely on DK2, though the posi forward/backward tracking is reversed for me ;)
  • graygray Posts: 44
    Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Virtual Desktop.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.40.0
    Application Timestamp: 53d36cea
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
    Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
    Fault Module Timestamp: 524f83ff
    Exception Code: c000001d
    Exception Offset: 0000000000095c01
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: af8f
    Additional Information 2: af8fcf0a4d9cbbd1d77c07d77926ae58
    Additional Information 3: 2d11
    Additional Information 4: 2d11870264f2882d5a62e899621dc9ca

EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.
    Art3mis
    Face9 wrote:
    Loving it, very handy and saves lots of "Make this my primary monitor" swapping, thanks!
    Works nicely on DK2, though the posi forward/backward tracking is reversed for me ;)

Doh! I'll have this fixed shortly
    gray wrote:
    Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.
    EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.

Thanks for reporting it. Direct mode doesn't work for me either so right now VD only supports extended mode. It shouldn't be crashing though. Do you get a message box with a description of the error when it crashes? Another way to get more info would be to look at the event logs in control panel->administrative tools.
  • mrjazzmrjazz Posts: 366
    This application only works correctly when set to "flat". When using the "floating"-option the head-rotation is messed up, especially when repositioned to a location far from the neutral one. The "curved"-option messes up the head-rotation even more, as the screen is almost stuck to the head.
    Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift!
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001