New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• InteriorDInteriorD Posts: 83
    Hi there,

I've tested VD with my DK2 and found a few problems:

The first is that head tracking is reversed, whereas head rotation is not. Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right, while looking left works as it should.

Another issue is that the health warning shows up a second time while using the control panel for VD and cannot be closed.

I have 2 monitors, and only my primary desktop shows up. It would be really cool if you could add multi-monitor support and a tool to arrange the monitors as you wish.
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    InteriorD wrote:
    The first is that head tracking is reversed, whereas head rotation is not. Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right, while looking left works as it should.
    Thanks for reporting this, yesterday I fixed forward/backward and today left/right is wrong haha, hard to test without a DK2! This should now be fixed!
    InteriorD wrote:
    Another issue is that the health warning shows up a second time while using the control panel for VD and cannot be closed.
    this is a bug/annoyance with the new SDK, the warning will re-appear if you switch from curved screen to either flat or floating. It should disappear after a couple seconds. Oculus is aware and hopefully this will get fixed in the next SDK.
    InteriorD wrote:
    I have 2 monitors, and only my primary desktop shows up. It would be really cool if you could add multi-monitor support and a tool to arrange the monitors as you wish.
    This is the next feature on my list!
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • InteriorDInteriorD Posts: 83
    Glad to be of help! I look forward to seeing the next release
  • VRCitizenVRCitizen Posts: 5
    InteriorD wrote:
    I've tested VD with my DK2 and found a few problems:
    Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right

In real life if I step to the left of my monitor, the monitor moves to the right (relative to me). Isn't that how it should work? I'm confused.
  • schnappyschnappy Posts: 13
    Anyway to maybe get Opentrack or some kind of headtracking to work separate from this app? I was using this program to play GTA IV in windowed mode with all the ENB mods (looks fantastic ) and while curved mode does help the immersion if I could get headtracking to work with the game also that would be amazing!
  • graygray Posts: 44
    guygodin wrote:
    gray wrote:
    Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.
    EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.

Thanks for reporting it. Direct mode doesn't work for me either so right now VD only supports extended mode. It shouldn't be crashing though. Do you get a message box with a description of the error when it crashes? Another way to get more info would be to look at the event logs in control panel->administrative tools.

Log Name: Application
    Source: .NET Runtime
    Date: 29/07/2014 17:50:38
    Event ID: 1026
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: admin
    Description:
    Application: Virtual Desktop.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
    Stack:
    at SharpOVR.OVR.ovrHmd_Create(Int32)
    at SharpOVR.OVR.ovrHmd_Create(Int32)
    at SharpOVR.OVR.HmdCreate(Int32)
    at VirtualDesktop.Engine.Game.Initialize()
    at VirtualDesktop.MainWindow.GameLoop()
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 29/07/2014 17:50:38
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: admin
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Virtual Desktop.exe, version: 1.0.40.0, time stamp: 0x53d36cea
    Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff
    Exception code: 0xc000001d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000095c01
    Faulting process id: 0x1538
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cfab4d397a0d49
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop\Virtual Desktop.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR120.dll
    Report Id: 776a8fa0-1740-11e4-b05f-005056c00008
  • Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

hGOaz8k.png
  • albinoalbino Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem as fellow poster endlessorigami
    Art3mis
    hGOaz8k.png
    Are you running on Windows 7? Do you have DirectX11 installed?

Gray
    It looks like the VC runtimes are not installed properly. They should be installed when you run setup.exe, can you install them from here (both x86, x64) and try again?
  • smallsmall Posts: 2
    Hi Guygodin,

Just tried your software on the DK2 that was delivered this morning and it worked right away. I have to say: THANK YOU. It's amazing when you get to see your desktop like it's a 200" screen.
    Movies play at a perfect framerate, but i do get a stuttering motion when i move my head to look at other corners of my desktop. Is that a known issue? Do you happen to know a solution?

Great work, thanks again,

Small
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,879 Valuable Player
    I'm afraid i get no rift detected when it's switched off or on. App doesn't start up at all.

Uninstalled and reinstalled.

Extended desktop and DK1 legacy ticked in config tool.

Windows 7 x64.

?
    Art3mis
    small
    This is an issue with the OVRService (SDK 0.4.0) and Oculus is working on it. Thanks for your feedback!

Andy
    Do you see the Rift in your display settings in windows? Do other demos work?
  • Tried this out today on my DK2 and all I see is a message saying "Virtual Desktop - Get the full experience with Windows 8" (I'm running Win7). I swapped my display to be horizontal, so the text appears fine and I can look around and see lots of black space - but no mouse pointer (no matter where I move the mouse) and no other icons or similar.

So I think it's working?! Just not sure what to do next :)

I did try a bunch of other demos and most don't work on DK2. The ConfigUtil demo does and The Room demo works perfectly, but nothing else works (The Rift, TechnoLust, etc), so it could just be related to that?
    Art3mis
    Tried this out today on my DK2 and all I see is a message saying "Virtual Desktop - Get the full experience with Windows 8" (I'm running Win7).
    The ability to see your desktop (and mouse cursor) is only possible on Windows 8 (which is why you see this message, so yes it is working :-)). Virtual Desktop will only launch 0.4 demos correctly. In order to run demos that are built with the 0.3.x SDK (Technolust, etc.) you need to follow the steps described here.
  • Figured as much - thanks for the reply. The message should literally say "No mouse or desktop on Windows 7 you wally" (or similar :) )
  • 9of99of9 Posts: 41
    Just tried this out (DK2, Windows 8.1, 64-bit) - I was getting 'msvcr120.dll missing' errors at first, but I got that fixed with some Visual Studio 2013 redistributables.

It launches fine now, but what's odd is it's quite juddery - I think it's running at a low framerate, which is odd as I've not had any framerate issues with other demos. Is there anything that might unexpectedly slow it down?
  • graygray Posts: 44
    guygodin wrote:
    It looks like the VC runtimes are not installed properly. They should be installed when you run setup.exe, can you install them from here (both x86, x64) and try again?

Appreciate the assistance here. Fully uninstalled & reinstalled using the link provided, with the Rift turned off the app loads but immediately crashes when the Rift is turned on.

Direct mode is now working for me using this workaround;
    Bopnc wrote:
    After two hour of struggle, I found (purely by luck...by taking a break) a workaround for my issue.

After plugging-in the rift and disabling my secondary screen into the NVIDIA panel, all I have to do is turning-off my rift then turn it back on, launch a demo...and direct mode works !

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10968&start=20#p150343
    Art3mis
    edited July 2014
    Good to hear you got it working Gray. Oculus weren't kidding when they said the new SDK was beta, yikes! Lot's of people with different issues, they have a lot of work on their plate :P

9of9
    Out of curiosity, what resolution is your main desktop and what is your video card? I do create a huge render target to maximize text clarity but maybe I've pushed it a little too far :P There are also issues with the latest SDK giving lots of judder so it's hard for me to know which is what.
  • dsmudgerdsmudger Posts: 7
    Tried with DK2, in extended mode, tried with DK1 support on and off: am I missing a step to actually start the virtual desktop as shown in the screenshot?

I only see a standard non-stereoscopic desktop in the Rift, same as when VD isn't running.

MacBook Pro Retina latest model, Windows 8.1, Nvidia GT750M. I have the VD tray icon, it's white, says 'Virtual Desktop' on mouseover (rather than any error etc)..
    Art3mis
    dsmudger: If the icon is white then it should be running, there's no extra step required. Very odd that you don't see anything. Is Virtual Desktop using any CPU in the Task Manager? Perhaps I would try to reboot your laptop see if this fixes it.
  • friedgoldmolefriedgoldmole Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I tried this out yesterday on Windows 7, installed it, opened up my start bar, right clicked on IE, clicked "Open on Oculus Rift" and it worked perfectly, I could see the IE window in the Oculus but also could look around and see my desktop. I assumed you had built in some fallback mode, where it was using the GPU and recording the desktop into a texture of something (I am no programmer) Today I updated the firmware on the DK2 (2.11) and this no longer works.

What I don't understand is you say the Desktop mode CAN only work with Windows 8, but I 100% absolutely (wasn't drunk, or dreaming) had it working in Windows 7 (64 Bit, 6.1 Build 7601)

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks

Liam
    Art3mis
    but I 100% absolutely (wasn't drunk, or dreaming) had it working in Windows 7 (64 Bit, 6.1 Build 7601)
    Maybe you had AngelJ's Deskope running? On Windows 7 you are supposed to see a logo with a banner that reads "Get the full experience on Windows 8".
    You didn't smoke anything did you?
  • friedgoldmolefriedgoldmole Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    You didn't smoke anything did you?

Nope, don't have that installed at the moment as you have to use the SDK 3.0 workaround, and I could never get the tracking working anyway.

Really weird, and nope wasn't smoking anything either.

Liam
    guygodin wrote:
    9of9
    Out of curiosity, what resolution is your main desktop and what is your video card? I do create a huge render target to maximize text clarity but maybe I've pushed it a little too far :P There are also issues with the latest SDK giving lots of judder so it's hard for me to know which is what.

2560x1440 :P I did also suspect that might be the issue, but dropping it down to a more respectable 1920x1080 didn't do anything to smooth it out.

Edit: 720p doesn't improve things either. Just a fine-grained stutter whenever moving your head.
    Not 100% sure what did it, but I got it working :)

I think it was something to do with making the Rift the primary display. Only problem is, in this mode I see the secondary display in the 3D environment, which means I can't access the tray area where the icon is..

Once it was working I tried swapping the primary display to be the laptop screen rather than the Rift - it keeps working but judders quite badly. I'll keep trying various combinations, maybe I was doing the right thing just the resolution of the main display is too high for decent performance?
    Seems no, it wasn't the resolution - with my laptop display as primary, the desktop layout is good (obviously with an inaccessible second desktop, but that's fine, you just don't put anything there), but it judders, even with resolution turned right down to 1024x768.

On the other hand with the Rift display set as primary, performance is great, but I can only see Windows' second desktop (i.e. same as what's on the laptop display), only the important stuff like the tray area and default location where new windows open, is now on the invisible/inaccessible desktop..
    Yeah, I can confirm it's the same on my end - if you make the Rift display the primary display, that eliminates the juddering. With... the above-mentioned issues.
    Art3mis
    Thanks for testing it out guys, other people seem to be having the juddering issue in other demos with the DK2 so I'm guessing we will have to wait and see... Just to confirm this issue is not virtual desktop specific right?
  • AltAlt Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Awesome work. I am loving this on my DK2. It makes launching apps directly onto it a breeze and lets me watch YouTube comfortably on my DK2. Is there any plan to try to correct chromatic aberration? It becomes very clear while reading text.
    Art3mis
    Alt wrote:
    Awesome work. I am loving this on my DK2. It makes launching apps directly onto it a breeze and lets me watch YouTube comfortably on my DK2. Is there any plan to try to correct chromatic aberration? It becomes very clear while reading text.
    Good to hear! There is chromatic aberration correction already :shock: at least in flat and floating mode.