Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam - Page 40 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• ToastyrToastyr Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Blackish:

Seen this question a lot on both deskope and virtual desktop, and unfortunately it's not possible due to the nature of the workaround. These apps function via copying the windows desktop to the rift window. WIthout a windows desktop on another monitor, there's nothing to copy. Running the two on the same screen ends up with a hall of mirrors effect.

It's a problem for me too, laptops disable their screen when closing the lid, leaving an attached Rift as the only monitor. There is a workaround using a virtual monitor application, but I haven't tried it.

Why Oculus didn't include a 2D sbs rift mode in their video driver or hardware, I'm not sure. This problem would be completely avoided if the video driver for the rift used the normal video output from windows, performed the needed distortions and split screen effects, and sent that to the rift.

with that driver, the oculus would work as a normal monitor after the drivers were installed. Unfortunately I'm not proficient enough with windows driver code to write it. I can only speculate why they didn't write it. (It'd be interesting to know though.)
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 331
    Brain Burst
    i love the home theatre background.

however i am way too much in the front row, i have to look up way too high to see the top of the movie, and the lights seem to dim then undim too often.

i would like to be able to be in the middle row in that background, i would love a cinemascope movie theatre as well.

overall i would say that virtual desktop has the potential to be better than LiveViewRift which is my current video player of choice for the rift, it's just that virtual desktop could do with a cinemascope option and the ability to adjust seating position and lighting options.
  • tbhausentbhausen Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    BLACKISH wrote:
    Love it!

Just one thing: Can you make it work when I have nothing but the DK2 attached? (I need that setup for a project)

Why yes, yes you can! Just use a Headless Ghost as your primary monitor and set up Virtual Desktop to start when Windows (preferably Windows 8.1) starts. My sim-racing cockpit doesn't even have a traditional monitor anymore! Bonus is, you can really control the size and refresh rate of the Ghost to optimize your Rift experience. I use 1600 x 900 for a balance of size vs. readability.
  • tbhausentbhausen Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Also, for whomever wanted multiple windows (and cited Elite: Dangerous as an example), you can get three Ghosts and set up an AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround group with these three virtual displays and have a seamless, wrap-around, ultra-wide display that would probably support as many windows as you ever care to have open at once. This would be awesome for gaming, too, in windowed mode on games that support multiple displays. The Ghosts and Virtual Desktop make so many things possible.
  • JKay6969JKay6969 Posts: 101
    Brain Burst
    tbhausen wrote:
    Also, for whomever wanted multiple windows (and cited Elite: Dangerous as an example), you can get three Ghosts and set up an AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround group with these three virtual displays and have a seamless, wrap-around, ultra-wide display that would probably support as many windows as you ever care to have open at once. This would be awesome for gaming, too, in windowed mode on games that support multiple displays. The Ghosts and Virtual Desktop make so many things possible.

Just be careful about how many displays your graphics card supports at once, my R9 290X can only support 3 at one time so when I plugged in my 2 Headless Ghosts I got the message "More than 3 displays are connected, which one do you want to disable" or words to that effect. I got round it by plugging one of my Headless Ghosts into my onboard HDMI port to utilize the GPU contained on my Intel Core i7 4790K and it worked in Virtual Desktop however having the extra 2 Virtual Displays gave me issues when not running Virtual Desktop like apps, windows or prompts being sent to the virtual displays instead of my actual display, all I had to do was Hold the Windows key, Left Shift and press Left or Right Arrow key to move it between displays but it was irritating enough to unplug the Headless Ghosts and put the idea to bed for a while...
    CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
    RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz
    GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB
    DK2: Delivered
    LENSES: Scratched
    SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:
  • I have windows 7, DK2 kit and I cannot get my icons or task bar on the screen. Just a floating image of my background. If I right click somewhere it will pull up the windows desktop properties and if I click screen resolution or any other it will flash an image of my desktop real quick and go back to a blank, floating image again. Any ideas???
    Brain Burst
    okay I started using star field background and set the wallpaper as transparent and disabled the wallpaper, this created a really cool effect for 4:3 and cinemascope movies wherein there are no black bars when using pot player in windowed mode, and i can of course dynamically adjust the size to my likeing.

as far as i can see there are 2 things i would like to have.

1: windows aero theme to remain working
    2: when disabling desktop wallpaper it should be a temporary thing that only applies to that virtual desktop session, once virtual desktop has ended the original wallpaper should be restored.

a better option for number 2 could be adding the ability to hide anything on the desktop, like icons, this way you can watch movies with a perfect frame, this could be similar to a 'show desktop' win + space shortcut but it shouldn't hide the current window, which would be a video player.

also the size of the options window which allows you to change image size etc is an issue for me, I am on a 1360x768 monitor, i can't view the whole window and make changes to the various options due to this issue.
  • HyronHyron Posts: 4
    As suggested in this thread https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21054&p=252696#p252696 we are preparing to utilize multi monitor VD on oculus. What are the requirements for the system which could display 4 HD screens as virtual desktops? Any graphic card/processoor/memory recommendations?
  • birinhosbirinhos Posts: 6
    I have DK1 and it says "no rift detected" on mouse over on the system tray...

my rift is on ...

at the start it says the OVR must be running ... what is OVR ?

I have de "oculus rift configuration util" (0.4.4 )running .. this is the OVR ?
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    1: windows aero theme to remain working
    With Windows 7, I have to turn Aero off to get decent capture performance (if I enabled it u would get 15fps). With windows 8, desktop composition is always enabled and it doesnt affect the performance so upgrade to Win8 or Win10 for that.
    2: when disabling desktop wallpaper it should be a temporary thing that only applies to that virtual desktop session, once virtual desktop has ended the original wallpaper should be restored.
    There is unfortunately no good api to save/restore the wallpaper (mostly when using a slideshow) which is why I cant save and restore the original settings. I wish I could though XD.
    iceman191 wrote:
    I have windows 7, DK2 kit and I cannot get my icons or task bar on the screen. Just a floating image of my background. If I right click somewhere it will pull up the windows desktop properties and if I click screen resolution or any other it will flash an image of my desktop real quick and go back to a blank, floating image again. Any ideas???
    Make sure to set your monitor as the main display and not your Rift.
    Virtual Desktop Developer
    Brain Burst
    doing the following kindof gives you a temporary walpaper functionality:

while virtual desktop is running
    go into wallpaper selection and choosing black but NOT clicking on okay,
    then alt tab out,
    Playing a movie, or whatever you want to do.
    quit virtual desktop,
    on wallpaper selection click cancel, it then reverts back properly.

man that blows about the aero thing, hopefully there can be some fix for that later.

any chance you can get this to work with the rift as primary display, that is pretty much my standard mode of operatoin given vorpx and most other games work in that way.

maybe i can look into some program that switches the main display from rift to monitor, i could look into that, once figures out it could be added to a batch file that runs that before virtual desktop is run.
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Did that other post here about enabling Aero but disabling the auto-reshape for windows help in this case? It helped stop the judder in a number of my Rift demos.
    Art3mis
    Nukemarine wrote:
    Did that other post here about enabling Aero but disabling the auto-reshape for windows help in this case? It helped stop the judder in a number of my Rift demos.
    No, windows 7 doesn't have an API to capture the desktop. The current technique with GDI and the DWM diabaled is the only way to get it to work at a decent performance. The only other way would be to have video card specific APIs (like ShadowPlay) but those arent public and nvidia said they didnt want to license them. There are no magic tricks possible here, you need to update to Win8 or Win10.
  • dudeman21dudeman21 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Just downloaded this today and it is a neat idea! However, under Windows 8.1 in extended mode there is a type of judder that looks like it might be caused by not calling DwmFlush() before presenting the back buffer. Calling that function will tell the display manager to go ahead and do its compositing things and get out of your way so that it doesn't result in a stall that makes you miss the v-sync while the driver waits on the display manager.
  • Having issue trying to uninstall or repair ,so i cannot launch the program, i get an error ( see picture attached) then it crashes. i can't delete or system restore the 1 year i have had it installed since since i have installed programs that used a one time key code i won't get another for free if uninstalled, help me fix this. it's been 4 months or so since i used my pc and just trying to update everything.
  • TUFOMTUFOM Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I get slight but yet annoying judder with my setup. I overclocked my 1nd display to 75Hz so both oculus and main display are running 1080p @75Hz. I have forced Vsync from drivers, enabled it from virtual desktop settings and I run full screen enabled. Also tried disabling and enabling aero and now I run aero disabled. Problem persists.

My PC:

G3258 @4.2Ghz
    8GB DDR3
    HD 7850 2GB @1100/1400

I am wondering is my pc just too weak for virtual desktop? If Vsync is on in virtual desktop I get 64-75 fps, but if off about 95-115 fps. Problem does not change way or another by this. Capture rate is between 76-78.
  • crazywojcrazywoj Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just want to say to the person or people that developed this, great job! works great for me. Anyway to get more backgrounds? not always on here maybe msg me on crazywoj@hotmail.com
  • Thank you sooooo bloody much for this amazing app! I recently got my Rift and it was the first app I installed. I forced my monitor size up to 3360px wide, I connected all my PCs through a ethernet network and now I can control them all through Remote desktop! Its brilliant, I'm having a blast. Its the perfect solution for me because not only can I control everything from one place, I also have a load of privacy, which is perfect for my line of work... ahem...

For the future I highly recommend the following:
    - Multiple virtual monitors.
    - or perhaps no monitor at all, just loose windows everywhere. The whole sphere is a desktop, minimizing windows drops them to the background.
    - customized backgrounds (I have loads of 360 pictures I use for my work)

I'd love to help with programming if you need it, although it would be mostly conceptual development. I have experience in C#, JAVA and a little C++.

I really hope Oculus find a way to jack up the res a.s.a.p because the pixels are still very visible, but this is already more awesome than ever.

Cheers!
  • indio007indio007 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Anyone know if there is a fix for vr desktop basically starting demos with the double screen thing?
    Rift is on right as secondary. When I switch the to the right , demos start using the Intel integrated processor instead the nvidia.

Anyone come across this.

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify. When I run the game out of VR Desktop, Vr Desktop stays and the game is embedded in the vr desktop screen as the 2 game screens.
    Art3mis
    For games that don't launch on the rift correctly, use the "Set Rift as main display" option at the bottom of the games tab.
    NerveGear
    edited March 2015
    Thx for the reply.
    I did set rift as main display.

I'm getting the double lens embedded in the VR desktop.

This is actually the second rift and laptop I've setup. The first one was flawless.

I'm really bummed cause this laptop has a GTX970M and the thing is rock solid.

I think it's the Nvidia Optimus that's the issue.

I think it's going to be a recurring issue as these HD4000/Nvidia chipsets are adopted by more end-users.

Also, for some reason Mirror to Monitor is greyed out....

I've had to resort to using MultiMonitorTool by Nirsoft to do quick switching but it's not a very elegant solution.

here's a link to a screen shot if that helps. this is both monitors apparently. the left side is the DK2

edit:forgot url
    http://goo.gl/LFkYDy
    Art3mis
    Optimus is tricky, if you cant disable Optimus entirely in the BIOS then you'll likely have issues.
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 575
    Art3mis
    How about Direct mode in VD with the latest update? Did they fix it?
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
    Art3mis
    Sharkku wrote:
    How about Direct mode in VD with the latest update? Did they fix it?
    No, the layered compositor didn't make it in this release it looks like. None of the API additions that I also need have been implemented so.. yeah kinda bummed.
    NerveGear
    wouldn't you know it ... running vr desktop as admin fixed the issue....
    doh! :oops:
  • OPTOPT Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I hva strange problem with virtual desktop - it gives me notification that no monitor detected and I should use at least one monitor and I am using lap top!!!! with one built-in screen ! If I connect one more monitor to my lap top virtual desktop starts up but in main screen - not in Oculus...
  • mrgreen72mrgreen72 Posts: 683
    Art3mis
    I would very much like to use VR Desktop with iRacing, mainly for the mirroring option, but here are the current issues:

- You have to launch iRacing with their crappy web interface and VR Desktop needs to launch the game itself to activate the mirror option. It would be nice to have VR Desktop "watch" for certain exe's, removing the necessity to use it to launch. Sim Commander 4 does this.

- The key mappings conflict with iRacing which makes some of the default black box controls unusable. I'd rather leave iRacing's bindings alone since they're used by my Voice Attack profile and whatnot, so it would be great to be able to reassign keys in VR Desktop. Or, have an option to make VR Desktop stop listening for keys when it doesn't have focus?
    Art3mis
    In next week's update, mirroring will work as a global option so this will allow games that have launchers to be mirrored. I havent tested iRacing specifically but it let me know if it doesn't. As for the ability to remap key bindings that will be added shortly after.
    Art3mis
    guygodin wrote:
    In next week's update, mirroring will work as a global option so this will allow games that have launchers to be mirrored. I havent tested iRacing specifically but it let me know if it doesn't. As for the ability to remap key bindings that will be added shortly after.
    tumblr_m2lgtk6i1c1rpx5jto1_400.png
    Art3mis
    Hey Guy, you wouldn't possibly have a beta I could try over the weekend?

My nephew is here and would really like to watch his uncle race. To make fun of him, most likely... :lol: