Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam - Page 42 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    When the distance changes it keeps the same relative screen size because without it it was kinda hard to control.
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • MiLO83MiLO83 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Hi guygodin,
    I just installed the update, everything works great here.

I've been wanting to talk to you for some time, as we all have Dev Kits,
    A large population of us are 3D Modellers.

Can we have the option to make and import our own background scenes like the "Home Theater"?
    I would very much enjoy making my own! (Like my livingroom at my childhood house for watching cartoons)

Please respond via PM and here for everyone else.
    - Myles Johnston
  • PeteoPeteo Posts: 262
    Just installed Virtual Desktop. But every time i launch I get this error:

Could not load file or assembly 'SharpDX, Version=2.6.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b4dcf0f35e5521f1' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

It will not run. im on win 7 x64 oculus 5.0.1 DK2

sorry had old version still installed. Uninstalled that version and re installed the new version. Pretty cool!!!
  • guygodin wrote:
    When the distance changes it keeps the same relative screen size because without it it was kinda hard to control.
    sorry I don't know why I didn't see that screen size slider!
    Much better.
  • Hi there.

I am running Windows 8 and have been attempting to install Virtual Desktop. Unfortunately, I am unable to get past the point where the installer tries to update my version of DirectX 11.1 from 6.2.9200.16420 to 6.2.9200.16492. This action is performed immediately after I click the Next button on the Prerequisites page. On the Prerequisites page, the following information is given:
    Name                        Version                                                       Action
    .NET Framework 4.5          Required: any. Found an acceptable version.                   Skip
    DirectX 11.1 Runtime x64    Required: 6.2.9200.16492 or higher. Found: 6.2.9200.16420.    Install

After the necessary update for DirectX 11.1 is download from Microsoft by the Virtual Desktop installer, a window appears with the message: "The update is not applicable to your computer." This prompts the installation to fail, and I am then returned to the Prerequisites page.

If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know. I would very much like to take advantage of the convenience that Virtual Desktop has to offer. I have spent a good few hours searching high and low for a way to manually update my DirectX 11.1 subversion, but to no avail.

Thank you!
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just updated Virtual Desktop and Tri-Def. Now StarCraft II is working again. Also had a chance to try out The Walking Dead which worked fine as a 3D game (can't see how that can be made VR without Tell Tale actually updating it themselves).

No new suggestions so here are my old ones:

1. In the cinema room let Screen Size affect how close we "sit" to the monitor. Not sure if the chair can be moved or if this is a static screenshot making that impossible. If so, maybe let the screen approach us.

2. Ability to use our own 360 equirectangular or sky box images (2D and 3D) as the background.

3. The "show desktop" in video player doesn't work with the cinema room selected as the background.

4. Can there be an "equidistant" viewing option where every part of the screen is same view distance? It'll look flat far away and small but gets more curved the closer it gets. It's my preferred viewing mode in Live View Rift.
    Art3mis
    MiLO83 wrote:
    Can we have the option to make and import our own background scenes like the "Home Theater"?
    I would very much enjoy making my own! (Like my livingroom at my childhood house for watching cartoons.
    The assets need to be compiled so it's not an easy process. I've been looking into adding the option to use custom skyboxes or custom models but it's not a simple task..
    I am running Windows 8 and have been attempting to install Virtual Desktop. Unfortunately, I am unable to get past the point where the installer tries to update my version of DirectX 11.1 from 6.2.9200.16420 to 6.2.9200.16492.
    This has been fixed in the latest version. Re-download the installer (from http://www.vrdesktop.net) and run it again.

Thanks for the suggestions Nuke.
    1) This will cause clipping issues with the seats, not sure if its a good idea..
    2) as ive said before, skyboxes are made from 6 2k x 2k textures, not something the average user can create. I might add the ability to import "environment packs" in the future though..
    3) this is by design
    4) well the curved mode is actually a sphere so in theory the distance from the screen is the same no matter the angle. I should probably check out liveviewrift to know what you mean..
    NerveGear
    edited April 2015
    guygodin,
    Why do the assets need to be compiled?
    Is Virtual Desktop using a 3rd party engine of sorts?
    What engine is it?
    As for it not being a simple task, it would very much be worth it.
    We could link environments to desktop shortcuts...
    but also, movie or game themed environments for different 2D movies and games.
    Like watch Jurassic Park in a JP Jeep, or Star Wars on the Death Star..
    I hate to say it but I wanted to make my own environments so bad,
    I hooked up full screen webcam capture to a texture in unity3d a couple weeks ago, but it didn't work very well.
    Any other 3D modellers here want to see this feature?
    I use Virtual Desktop alllll day. I just can't see without knowing why you can't just get some open source .obj loading code from somewhere... I'm just sayin, custom environments is the way to go! :D
    Art3mis
    It's using SharpDX (and the SharpDX Toolkit). So things like skyboxes are essentially DDS textures compiled with the toolkit, Models (like the home theater) a FBX compiled with the toolkit...
    NerveGear
    So if I were to get said SharpDX toolkit.... I could convert a fbx myself?

EDIT: I have been reading:

"1) As SharpDX uses Assimp.NET as backend to load and convert models - it supports any format that is supported by Assimp.NET.
    2) The main processing is done in the ModelCompiler class."

So if you used assimp to load fbx files instead of precompiling them?
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    MiLO83 wrote:
    Any other 3D modellers here want to see this feature?
    Any other whatever do of course want to see this feature :D

It's not a must but it would be so great. Through Easter I took a few 360 degree full sphere photos with my Google phone up in the norwegian mountains - it's on Google Maps, try if you can find them :D

... anyway, to even be able to use my own skyboxes would be great.

@guygodin:

Being able to resize the window is a great feature, but could you please have it so it load up with the last size used when it start up?
    NerveGear
    edited April 2015
    Hi Guygodin,
    Gudmornin.

I have gotten a custom 3D model to work by converting it from .obj to .tkb via tkmodel.exe, and replacing HomeTheater.tkb with it. The HomeTheaterA.tkb was just a renamed PNG file as far as I can see so far.

However, i'm missing the logic behind the texture reading, as the entire mesh displays the desktop (With the UV coords that should be referenced to the PNG) :p

I am using 3DSMAX, and have tried..
    Naming the materials "Screen" and "HomeTheaterA"
    Using material ID 1 and 2.
    Multi-Sub material.
    Drag and Dropping a texture onto the model in viewport.
    (In different combinations)

I am only using 1 texture named HomeTheaterA.PNG and renaming it to .tkb.

Would you be willing to send me the original HomeTheater.fbx so I can take a look?
    Whats the step i'm missing?

:idea:
  • onionburstonionburst Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey Guy, first of all thanks for your wonderful commitment to devving this killer-app for the rift, you will come into much fortune with the path you are on and I use this app every day.

Secondly, I have an issue installing this latest version of VR desktop. As another user pointed out earlier, I cannot get past
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    I can't install this version, I'm getting an "error configuring Windows features" just after it installs Microsoft speech platform packages.

I have the packages installed and all the updates and media update, but my install consistently fails at this part. Windows 7 64bit. Tell me if I can help solve this issue in any way, I've tried to do what you said to troubleshoot and nothing works.
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    edited April 2015
    guygodin wrote:
    The last thing it does after installing the speech stuff it making sure that windows media player features are inatalled. Can you try to go in the control panel, programs and features, then windows feature and make sure you have all the windows media stuff installed?

I can try to tweak the installer if that doesnt work. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, I've just found out that I'm affected by this problem, but under Windows 8.1:

http://www.leeenux-linux.com/blog/fix-f ... windows-7/

I haven't found a way to fix it yet, so I'm afraid I'll have to do a full Windows reinstall :x
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
    Art3mis
    Okay I've removed the "media features" requirements from the installer, can you guys give it another try and let me know if that fixed your problem?

Download here

Thanks
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    Thanks, now it installed fine. Anyway thanks to this problem I found out that my Windows setup is corrupt ;)
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
    Art3mis
    Being able to resize the window is a great feature, but could you please have it so it load up with the last size used when it start up?
    It already saves the size and distance when you hide the window.
  • drewarddreward Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Great app. Could you support multiple virtual monitors? This would be amazing for me.
    And now for the really big ask....
    IS there any way to insert your 2D desktop as a floating image or display inside another DK2 App. While debugging I would like to be able to see other windows without removing my DK2
    Art3mis
    dreward wrote:
    Great app. Could you support multiple virtual monitors? This would be amazing for me.
    And now for the really big ask....
    IS there any way to insert your 2D desktop as a floating image or display inside another DK2 App. While debugging I would like to be able to see other windows without removing my DK2
    Can't create virtual monitors as I've said many times. It's a limitation of Windows. A monitor has to be tied to a graphics adapter and port on the video card.

You can use something like the "headless ghost" to simulate a connected monitor if you have free dvi/hdmi ports on your video card.

Can't render stuff in other apps (at least not without injection and that's not something I plan to do)
  • frogglerfroggler Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens, like shown in the image below.

"Set Rift as main monitor" and "Don't mirror to monitor" does nothing.

I don't get it :? Am I doing something wrong here?

Virtual Desktop runs smooth though.

I,m currently on Win 8.1 64bit
    Using latest 0.5.0.1-Beta Runtime
    Geforce 780Ti
  • jwvanderbeckjwvanderbeck Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had tried out an early version of this but it was pretty basic at the time, and I passed on it. With the latest release I decided to try it out again and it really has matured a lot. I especially like the new built in player for 180/360 video content!

If I can i'd like to possibly request two things, which should be pretty simple, I hope, for the video player.

1. The ability to skip through the video with hotkeys like most video players. I know I can seek with the mouse but that has two problems. One it just isn't as convenient as quickly jumping through say 30s with the arrow keys, and secondly it causes the huge UI to cover up the video for several seconds.

2. How come I can't lean in on the videos like I can everything else in Virtual Desktop? I would love to be able to lean in and have the video get larger just like normal.
  • OnEdgeOnEdge Posts: 37
    guygodin wrote:
    In next week's update, mirroring will work as a global option so this will allow games that have launchers to be mirrored. I havent tested iRacing specifically but it let me know if it doesn't. As for the ability to remap key bindings that will be added shortly after.

Hi, just trying to get mirror mode working for iRacing but so far have no success. Has anyone had better luck?

I am running 2 monitors + the rift (all from the same graphics card). When the game loads in the rift one monitor shuts off and the other continues to display one side of the windows desktop.

Thanks for any help!
    Art3mis
    froggler wrote:
    Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens
    Use the regular game executables, not the direct-to-rift ones.
    1. The ability to skip through the video with hotkeys like most video players. I know I can seek with the mouse but that has two problems. One it just isn't as convenient as quickly jumping through say 30s with the arrow keys, and secondly it causes the huge UI to cover up the video for several seconds.

2. How come I can't lean in on the videos like I can everything else in Virtual Desktop? I would love to be able to lean in and have the video get larger just like normal.
    Great suggestion with the arrow keys, I'll implement that. For the videos, I have to project the screen at infinity so leaning in doesnt have any effect. That's just a limitation of 360 videos in VR because the camera that filmed the video had a fixed position.

Mirroing to monitor uses dll injection and is experimental. It will only work with certain games (it might not work on some games if they do quircky things in their rendering). That being said I will have a look at iRacing and try to figure out why it isn't working.
  • OnEdgeOnEdge Posts: 37
    guygodin wrote:

Mirroing to monitor uses dll injection and is experimental. It will only work with certain games (it might not work on some games if they do quircky things in their rendering). That being said I will have a look at iRacing and try to figure out why it isn't working.

Thanks very much!
    NerveGear

I present to you the HomerTheater Environment Hack. :D

If Guy says it's ok, and only with his permission I will make a video showing how I did it, and also release the environment.

Hey Guy! I did it!
    Art3mis
    Haha very cool! I love it! Feel free to make a video on how you did it. I'll eventually add support for custom environments so you don't have to replace the home theater or one of the skybox.
  • frogglerfroggler Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    froggler wrote:
    Can't run any games or applications when inside Virtual Desktop. When starting Stuff it just says "Launching..." and nothing happens
    Use the regular game executables, not the direct-to-rift ones.

Yeah that doesn't work either :-/ Just says "Launching..." and nothing happens. This is on Win 8.1

On windows 10 It's the same problem, but worse since navigating is really sluggish.

On Windows 7 everything is working fine. I'm able to launch whatever I want! BUT now Headracking is not working at all in the Rift. No tracker attached it says in the Oculus Configuration utility.

Win 8.1 is the one with less issues apart from VR desktop not being able to launch stuff.
    Art3mis
    I really have no idea why it would fail to launch stuff. Are you running VD as administrator?
  • trillbotrillbo Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    I really have no idea why it would fail to launch stuff. Are you running VD as administrator?

I'm having the exact same problem. Windows 8.1. Running Virtual Desktop as administrator.
    Art3mis
    I'd be curious to know if a process is created at all (look in task manager), does it stay at "launching..." forever?