Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam - Page 43 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• trillbotrillbo Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    I'd be curious to know if a process is created at all (look in task manager), does it stay at "launching..." forever?

The game doesn't show at all in task manager. Yeah it just stays at "launching..." until you quit and restart VD. I can grab some screenshots when home from work later if needed.
  • QuasaQuasa Posts: 7
    Hi Guy & all the community,

Amazing program you have compiled, really good work you have done. ;)

Ok so far, I have tried VD with most of my games (racing, FPS, RPG) & they all work nicely.
    I'm running the FreePIE Python script for most FPS games & with VD, it's perfect, we finally have it all as Tridef, VorpX, IZ3D or Virieo would do, but in better, all with head tracking included.

Some of the games I tried :

FC 2 / 3 / 4
    Dying Light
    Crysis 1 /2

Some more feedback soon as I need to experience more & test more stuff. But future looks promising. Another program which I need to test more in association with yours is OpenTrack with Oculus Rift HMD Tracker.

Here's the FreePIE Python Script used that makes all your FPS games working with head tracking, thanks to the developer of Star Citizen, Chris Roberts ;) :
    def update():
    	yaw = math.degrees(oculusVR.yaw)
    	pitch = math.degrees(oculusVR.pitch)

deltaYaw = filters.delta(yaw)
    	deltaPitch = filters.delta(pitch)

if (enabled):
    		mouse.deltaX = -deltaYaw*multiply
    		mouse.deltaY = -deltaPitch*multiply

if starting:
    	enabled = True
    	multiply = 17
    	#oculusVR.center()
    	oculusVR.update += update

recenter = keyboard.getPressed(Key.PageDown)
    toggle = keyboard.getPressed(Key.PageUp)

if toggle:
    	enabled = not enabled

if recenter:
    	oculusVR.center()

diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.yaw)
    diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.pitch)
    diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.roll)
    diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.x)
    diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.y)
    diagnostics.watch(oculusVR.z)

Now question is, what would be the best way of integrating this with your amazing program & make it almost perfect as you would have it with natively DK2 VR games ?

___Happy DK2 Immersion to all of you___
  • importonimporton Posts: 5
    Absolutely love Virtual Desktop! Best piece of software available for DK2!

The thing that I would like most that is missing so far is support for NVIDIA 3d vision content. If this was supported in the same way that SBS 3d content is currently supported it would be absolutely amazing.

That would be huge to play GTA V in an IMAX-sized theater with full low persistence. It would be a dream come true.

Did I just suggest something impossible?
  • tbhausentbhausen Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2015
    Guy,

Can I install 0.9.26 over top of 0.9.23? I don't have a physical monitor connected (my primary display is a Headless Ghost), and I'd like to update without reconfiguration if possible.

Thanks!
    Todd Bettenhausen
    Indianapolis, IN
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    tbhausen wrote:
    Can I install 0.9.26 over top of 0.9.23? I don't have a physical monitor connected, and I'd like to update without reconfiguration if possible.
    It depends if 0.9.23 was installed for all users or just a single user. In the first case, it will automatically replace the old version with the new but in the latter case It won't be able to uninstall and you'll end up with 2 which might conflict. You can always remove the lenses and look at the screen if you need to, that's the trick I use :P
    Virtual Desktop Developer
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the QUICK response :) Is default install of 0.9.23 all users or only me?

EDIT: I think I'm the only user set up on my PC (if that matters at all).
    Art3mis
    It should have defaulted to all users if you are admin on the machine. Note that this is no longer an option with 0.9.26 and it will always install for all users (to avoid those upgrade nightmares)
    Brain Burst
    Pretty sure I took the default and I'm an admin user... thanks again!
  • tryivtryiv Posts: 1
    after a few restarts with this applicatio installed i got a bsod on a startup,
    have had to do a system restore twice trying to figure out what caused the problem, i really am not sure why. my computer only has one free hdmi port, and it connects to the integrated graphics card and not my nvidia 860m, so when i run virtual desktop, unless i want just a black square in front of me, i have to tell it to run with the intel graphics card, could this be causing problems?
  • MiLO83MiLO83 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Hi, I'm not your buddy, Guy.
    I'm MiLO83 :)
    But since Guy hasn't answered yet,

As far as I know most computers wont let you use the integrated card and an addon card at the same time.
    You will want an adapter to convert another port on your gfx card to hdmi if you have for instance a display port port you are not using on the addon card. Yes I think this is the problem.

GUY,
    I was falling asleep and thinking about loading custom environments.
    I had this vision, to get the active title bar text of the active window, and search for keywords that could be mapped to different environments.

So for instance My Computer would be a computer desk, and then Photoshop could be set to an Art Studio. You could have a Ninja Turtles theme that searched for "Ninja Turtles" or TMNT in the active title bar, and automaically switch to the tmnt theme. You'd think this might be awkward if you were mousing around between apps or something, but you could have an option for a time limit between switching. Music folder or VLC / Media Player, switch automatically to that environment. Is a fade possible?

- Myles
  • danivesdanives Posts: 1
    guygodin wrote:
    Use the regular game executables, not the direct-to-rift ones.

I've been playing around with the Virtual Desktop for a little while now and love it, I think its fantastic.

My only gripe currently - and maybe there is just something wrong my end - is that some games launch fine and others don't. Now I've read not to use the direct mode which is fine, and I've successfully launched the Tusancy demo. However I've had a problem with other games I've launched - either with them not loading, or "refreshing" the app.

The latest one I tried, I got a copy of "Matrix VR" after seeing it in your game list on the front page, believing because that works for you, it should for me. However when I launched it, it just presented me with the game in a windowed mode, where one half of the screen was on the desktop. I dragged it fully into the screen and hit alt-enter to try and maximise it but that just reset the VR Desktop again (such as when you drag a window beyond its bounds, it restarts the VR Desktop app). I did just try the Titans of Space tour which worked fine.

So not 100% sure why some games would work and others wouldn't, although I do know that I have had some games open half on my main monitor and half on the oculus screen before and have had to drag them into the oculus view to render properly - however I can't drag them while in the virtual desktop as it just shows me the side-by-side screens.

Any idea?
    Art3mis
    The Oculus integration with Unity is horrendous so depending on which version the developer used to build the game you'll have varying degrees of success. When it doesn't launch correctly, you can try to hold CTRL while launching; the unity config dialog will appear: make sure to select 1920x1080 and the appropriate monitor. If that still doesn't work, try the "set rift as main display" option.

Hoping that the official oculus integration in unity 5 which should get released any day now will finally fix those issues that have been plaguing users for more than 2 years...
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    guygodin wrote:
    Being able to resize the window is a great feature, but could you please have it so it load up with the last size used when it start up?
    It already saves the size and distance when you hide the window.
    I ment Virtual Desktop's own Settings window. If I resize it, it goes back to default size next time it starts up.
  • Hello again, I wanted to make a note of something very strange...

So, months back I Kickstarted the Headless Ghost project, and ordered 5 headless ghosts. So I recently hooked them up into the computer, running them at 75Hz on 3x Headless Ghosts, and 75Hz on the Oculus Rift DK2 itself.

The problem I am having is that when you run 3 headless ghosts with the oculus, it projects the virtual screens just fine, except that there is a ghost-screen... Monitor 1, Monitor 2, and Monitor 3 all display within the virtual environment, but Monitor 4 (The DK2) allows your mouse to be dragged into it (but not windows), as if it was another monitor, which, as you can imagine, COMPLETELY distrupts the VR experience by overlaying the mouse DIRECTLY on the rift rather than within the virtual space. This has absolutely grounded me in regards to getting the workspace to work seamlessly.

In some cases, windows and programs open on this ghost monitor, and you have to Press Window + Left Arrow |or| Right Arrow in order to 'shift' the window's visibility into one of the 3 virtual screens.

If you need video footage of this phenomenon or more description, please let me know. This is driving me batty.
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    ClinkyCole wrote:
    The problem I am having is that when you run 3 headless ghosts with the oculus, it projects the virtual screens just fine, except that there is a ghost-screen... Monitor 1, Monitor 2, and Monitor 3 all display within the virtual environment, but Monitor 4 (The DK2) allows your mouse to be dragged into it (but not windows), as if it was another monitor, which, as you can imagine, COMPLETELY distrupts the VR experience by overlaying the mouse DIRECTLY on the rift rather than within the virtual space. This has absolutely grounded me in regards to getting the workspace to work seamlessly.
    I just got my own Headless Ghost and are now waiting for a USB to HDMI before I get to try this.

But back to your problem, and if I get it right I think this is just how it must be - at least if you run the DK2 in Extended mode. The DK2 is just another monitor and will always display as such. Windows doesn't know that you don't want to be able to move your mouse into, what looks to Windows, like just another monitor. There isn't a way to tell Windows that you don't want your pointer on that monitor, which is basically what you're looking for if I haven't misunderstood you too much.
    Art3mis
    Ruud is correct, this is caused by the fact that the Rift acts as a monitor in extended mode. The cursor is hidden on the Virtual Desktop window so moving your mouse over the Rift monitor should hide it but if you are holding the mouse down and doing a drag onto the Rift then it will be visible. A bit annoying but nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

In Direct mode, a lot of issues like this one will disappear. Just waiting on Oculus at this point..
  • sjonessjones Posts: 1
    Has anyone test the following scenario to see if it should work with Virtual Desktop?

I made Windows think I had two connected displays like this:
    Right click on the desktop, click 'Screen Resolution'
    Click 'Detect' on the next screen
    Click 'Another display not detected' and under the multiple displays option select 'Try to connect anyway on: VGA'
    Click 'Apply'
    You can now enable your desktop to be extended as if you have a second screen plugged into your computer.
    To view the virtual screen. This can be done remotely via LogMeIn or TeamViewer

Also its been about 6 months or so since I last look at this software. Have you made any headway into support multiple graphics cards? You site doesn't really say.
    Art3mis
    sjones wrote:
    Has anyone test the following scenario to see if it should work with Virtual Desktop?

I made Windows think I had two connected displays like this:
    Right click on the desktop, click 'Screen Resolution'
    Click 'Detect' on the next screen
    Click 'Another display not detected' and under the multiple displays option select 'Try to connect anyway on: VGA'
    Click 'Apply'
    You can now enable your desktop to be extended as if you have a second screen plugged into your computer.
    To view the virtual screen. This can be done remotely via LogMeIn or TeamViewer

Also its been about 6 months or so since I last look at this software. Have you made any headway into support multiple graphics cards? You site doesn't really say.
    Yep, this technique works to add a virtual monitor virtual desktop can use.
    It works with multiple graphic cards except for some Optimus laptops.
  • fillfill Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Since the latest update, changing backgrounds in VD doesn't work any more. The background in the VD config window changes to show what I've chosen, but not the actual background in VR space.

Anyone else run into this?

My specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    GFX: GeForce GTX 780 3 GB
  • vazquez595654vazquez595654 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Will it ever be possible to run virtual desktop without a monitor? Is that possible now? I have a headless ghost, but it didn't work.
  • capetusocapetuso Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I am trying to play rfactor2 with virtual desktop but have no luck.
    The rfactor2 launcher works in both displays but when the game starts, it works in the monitor but in the rift I get a black screen.
    Using Windows 7 and latest versions of Oculus runtime and virtual desktop app.
    My monitor resolution is 1400x900.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Update: nevermind, got it working when I disabled full screen both in game and virtual desktop.
  • pizzy00pizzy00 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Will it ever be possible to run virtual desktop without a monitor? Is that possible now? I have a headless ghost, but it didn't work.
    It works for me
  • pizzy00pizzy00 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I am getting higher latency in this beta than compared to previous versions. I get around 37 ms and used to get around 20 ms.

I am running Win 7, 4770k, 980 gtx.
    Art3mis
    pizzy00 wrote:
    I am getting higher latency in this beta than compared to previous versions. I get around 37 ms and used to get around 20 ms.

I am running Win 7, 4770k, 980 gtx.
    Make sure the fullscreen option is checked in the performance section.
  • ChazVRChazVR Posts: 1
    Hey dev,

First off great job, very cool!

One (simple? famous last words) feature I'd love is to be able to better position the desktop in 3D space. It's nice being able to change the angular size, distance, and toggle curved/flat, but I'd really like to be able to move it (or the camera) around so it's just where I'd like. There's the "floating" option which seems to shift it up/down a little bit, but I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly?

A slider for the curvature amount would be great, and if you could have it so something like WASD moves you relative to your camera angle (W forward in Z-axis, A left in X-axis) that would be fairly intuitive.

What do you think? Great job! :)
  • donkaradiablodonkaradiablo Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yay... I'm working on a beach! Thank you :)
    Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines
    the input solution that could have been
    ideas
    Revolutionize the way we interact with...
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
  • tola5tola5 Posts: 82
    Brain Burst
    any there have made a custom environments there will share
  • BrenneBrenne Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi, I love the new Environment Editor, but I'm having some problems. Do you need to bake lighting to make the scene look lit up?. I tried without it and the objects were completely white. I'm currently trying to create environments out of Star Citizen ship models. I've baked some low res lighting on it, but the virtual desktop screen is always projecting on the ship itself instead of a plane I created. I have renamed the plane to be the first mesh in my scene, but the screen is still only projecting on the ship. I don't think this is the right place to ask, but if you know a good way to bake lighting to a mesh it would help a lot. I'm currently having some problems with blender and baking. The ship that I'm using has almost 500 000 vertices and the uv unwarping is not working correctly without marking seams. I've tried to use the smart uv project, but it jus tcrashes my blender. I've only gotten it to work while using smart uv project on a smaller part of the ship. I just selected all the faces with the C tool, but it takes time and I dont get all the details. Is there another way to make baking easier?

If someone else wants the Star Citizen models they can download them using this guide: https://testsquadron.com/threads/how-do ... ewer.1930/
  • donkaradiablodonkaradiablo Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sounds and separate volume control in Virtual Desktop for environments would be great. Nature sounds for the beach, white noise and all that jazz. Could be ever better if you could choose the sounds and the environments individually, to mix and match as you please. Nature sounds on the beach one day, binaurial re-recordings of Dave Brubeck's Take Five with an audiobook another...

Could be great if layers of audio was possible, to allow simple designs. Maybe with animated content in the future, like minions dancing around when you get something right, like a homework question, or making a sale, or simply yelling "yesss!" or "yeah!". Doesn't have to be cutting edge 3D, could be just frame animated 2D minions going bananas around the desktop for a second or two.

This custom environment format would turn into a mini store of your own, with designers getting a cut of the donations/fees for the custom space shop. Could be like "rewarding homework environment for your kid", "relaxing work environment for your office".
    Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines
    the input solution that could have been
    ideas
    Revolutionize the way we interact with...
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
    Art3mis
    Brenne: use the latest version: it will use the mesh named "Screen" rather than the first one. As far as baking lights into the texture I don't really know (I'm not an artist!)