Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam - Page 44 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• BrenneBrenne Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Got fixed screen to work, but it just showed half of the screen. Going to try more tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Tried to use a 2d plane as the screen, but Virtual Desktop instantly crashed with the error "Wrong parameter". Non- fixed screen worked nicely. Here are some pictures from my test environment with low res textures:
    http://puu.sh/hxSaQ/0b4fecab46.png
    http://puu.sh/hxScm/281717a65f.png
  • zoidbunzoidbun Posts: 1
    Don't know if this will help, but I was a bit confused when it came to aspect ratio so I messaged guygodin and asked him about it.

Apparently, If your mesh is 16:9 then you use 1.778, if it's 4:3, then you use 1.333.

check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29 for more aspect ratios.
  • BrenneBrenne Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi, I'm getting the error 0×80070057 wich results in a crash every time I use an environment with textures on one of my models.
    Error: http://puu.sh/hzDtY/d21552e932.png

Model and texture: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6z973l ... nd_texture

Virtual environment: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6joxt ... ladius.vde

.blend: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9isx9 ... nder.blend
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    Brenne wrote:
    Hi, I'm getting the error 0×80070057 wich results in a crash every time I use an environment with textures on one of my models.
    Error: http://puu.sh/hzDtY/d21552e932.png

Model and texture: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6z973l ... nd_texture

Virtual environment: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6joxt ... ladius.vde

.blend: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9isx9 ... nder.blend
    Thanks for the sharing the files. There seems to be an issue with how vertex information is stored in the FBX. Can you try exporting to .obj and let me know if that fixes the issue?

Thanks
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • TrevorATrevorA Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi,

I'm running on twin Xeon 5450s and a 290x and windows 8.1 (latest full not beta Catalyst drivers). Virtual desktop crashes within a few seconds almost everytime, and invariably on launching a game. Any ideas?
  • i_need_a_coffeei_need_a_coffee Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Can we upgrade by simply running the installer, or do we have to uninstall the previous version first? Also, just a small suggestion, could the version number be part of the installer file name? Something like "VirtualDesktop-0.9.29-Setup.exe"?
    Art3mis
    If you have an old version installed (lower than 0.9.26), you'll need to manually uninstall. But once you have to upgrade to 0.9.26 or higher, a simple install will take care of uninstalling a previous version.
    TrevorA wrote:
    Hi,

I'm running on twin Xeon 5450s and a 290x and windows 8.1 (latest full not beta Catalyst drivers). Virtual desktop crashes within a few seconds almost everytime, and invariably on launching a game. Any ideas?
    Make sure to report the crash through the crash report dialog. I have been fixing a lot of them recently. Make sure to always use the latest version.
  • QuasaQuasa Posts: 7
    A little question :

Is virtual desktop available for Android ?

I now own an amazing Homido VR Heaset & everything working fine with my S4. I can control it via BT on my 2nd Android S4 Mini as a controller with Tablet Remote & play VR games with it.

The idea is the same as on PC desktops, having the ability to stay connected & browse around my Android system with VR apps & games.

I'm still searching, if anyone already has developed some similar apk, if not existing, how much time you think it will take to port it to Android ?

Thanks

Triple Screen 19" LCD 3x DVI Max. 3840 x 1024 px @75Hz
    Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 EyeFinity
    Logitech G15
    Logitech G25
    Oculus Rift DK2
    Microsoft X360 Controller
    Homido VR Headset
    Galaxy S4 Rooted & OC
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Tablet Remote APK
    VR Streamer APK
    Trinus VR APK
    Art3mis
    No, everything is built on top of Windows. It cannot just be "ported" to android. Starting from scratch would be a better approach.
  • mag7mag7 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I find this app very usefull. Congrats! But I'm having some trouble with it (I've just got the rift and i'm new with it). What do I have to do to make the app work? I understand that first, after connecting the Oculus, I have to change to "Extend Desktop to the HMD" in the Rift Display Mode dialog box and then open the Virtual Desktop app and it should be running, but a message appears "No rift detected". Should I first go to "Screen resolution" and in Multiple Displays change to "Extend these displays", and then open Virtual Desktop? I'm a little confused with the steps.

I'm also wondering if this works with "runtime 0.6.0.0-beta" and if it is a problem that I have an "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" card.

Thank you!
  • jwvanderbeckjwvanderbeck Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    guygodin wrote:
    1. The ability to skip through the video with hotkeys like most video players. I know I can seek with the mouse but that has two problems. One it just isn't as convenient as quickly jumping through say 30s with the arrow keys, and secondly it causes the huge UI to cover up the video for several seconds.
    Great suggestion with the arrow keys, I'll implement that.

Any idea when you might get this in? Just downloaded the latest and don't see it. It is really the one thing preventing me from using this as my dedicated VR player.
  • pizzy00pizzy00 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    pizzy00 wrote:
    I am getting higher latency in this beta than compared to previous versions. I get around 37 ms and used to get around 20 ms.

I am running Win 7, 4770k, 980 gtx.
    Make sure the fullscreen option is checked in the performance section.

Didn't make a difference. All I do is upgrade to the most current VR desktop version and Oculus version.

What is the average HMD latency?? What latency should my system get? I would like to go back to the 20 ms range if possible. I enjoy using your awesome application with an easycap to do quad fpv flying. Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/HfioRPl.png
    Art3mis
    pizzy00 wrote:
    Didn't make a difference. All I do is upgrade to the most current VR desktop version and Oculus version.

What is the average HMD latency?? What latency should my system get? I would like to go back to the 20 ms range if possible. I enjoy using your awesome application with an easycap to do quad fpv flying. Thanks

I really don't know. Here I get 20-21ms on both Win7 and Win8 (and I've had 20ms since SDK 4.0 I believe). Is your monitor connected to your GTX 980 like the Rift is? If your monitor is plugged into your motherboard, that would explain the additional latency.

I'll probably add arrow key shortcuts in the next version jwvan, just lots of stuff to work on right now (new sdk, direct mode, htc vive support, etc.)
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 575
    Art3mis
    guygodin wrote:
    just lots of stuff to work on right now (new sdk, direct mode, htc vive support, etc.)

That is the greatest news!!! So I take it that the latest SDK solves the problem with Direct mode?
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24)
    CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day)
    Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)
  • pizzy00pizzy00 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    pizzy00 wrote:

I really don't know. Here I get 20-21ms on both Win7 and Win8 (and I've had 20ms since SDK 4.0 I believe). Is your monitor connected to your GTX 980 like the Rift is? If your monitor is plugged into your motherboard, that would explain the additional latency.

I'll probably add arrow key shortcuts in the next version jwvan, just lots of stuff to work on right now (new sdk, direct mode, htc vive support, etc.)

My Intel Graphics were turned on in the BIOS for some reason. I must have had it off in that past and got enabled sometime. My latency back to what it was 23ms. YAY Looking forward to your improvements.
    Art3mis
    Thanks for the update pizzy! Glad you got it working.
    Sharkku wrote:
    That is the greatest news!!! So I take it that the latest SDK solves the problem with Direct mode?
    Short answer, yes. It will take me a bit of time to update to the latest SDK and get everything working correctly. For the time being I would recommend to stick to 0.5 if you are an enthusiast.
  • Just downloaded this for my DK2 Rift. I have the latest runtime and it is not telling me that I need a firmware update. I am on Windows 7. Ok now for the issues. 2 so far

1) The whole thing is turned 90 degrees when viewed in the rift
    2) The HMD latency shows N/A

Thoughts?

EDIT
    I noticed in the windows display settings this showed as a tall screen and I had to change it to portrait to get it to actually be landscape. This fixed both issues seemingly. Now I need to figure out why the head tracking is jittery.
    Art3mis
    I noticed in the windows display settings this showed as a tall screen and I had to change it to portrait to get it to actually be landscape. This fixed both issues seemingly. Now I need to figure out why the head tracking is jittery.
    Use the 0.5 Oculus runtime for the time being.
  • vrmtvrmt Posts: 11
    Hello, thanks for this application I'm using it and it works well.
    I'd like to add another feature which is updating automatically the orientation (without pressing F9) according to the head movement, this enables the user to turn his head freely and still see the desktop in front of his current view (eyes position).

How can I do this ?

Best regards.
    VRMT
  • InnisfreeInnisfree Posts: 4
    I absolutely love this program and use it constantly. Normally it works perfectly but I have this weird problem that crops up from time to time. Basically the performance, for no apparent reason, will fall apart. What it looks like is as I look around the virtual screen in front of me will start to jump around almost as if its trying to move with me. It is not frame rate judder as the frame rate never drops below 75. It does this both with full screen turned off and on. This happened once before and the problem just went away randomly. Now its back and driving me insane! The program is completely unsuable this way. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey guygodin,

I know you are working on the SDK 0.6.0 version for virtual desktop. Could you give us a little status update? Do you see performance benefits compared to the older versions? Does the redesign give you a lot of headaches or is it smooth sailing, but just a lot of work?
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Art3mis
    vrmt wrote:
    I'd like to add another feature which is updating automatically the orientation (without pressing F9) according to the head movement, this enables the user to turn his head freely and still see the desktop in front of his current view
    You don't want to do this, trust me. It will make you wanna barf :P
    Innisfree wrote:
    I absolutely love this program and use it constantly. Normally it works perfectly but I have this weird problem that crops up from time to time. Basically the performance, for no apparent reason, will fall apart. What it looks like is as I look around the virtual screen in front of me will start to jump around almost as if its trying to move with me. It is not frame rate judder as the frame rate never drops below 75. It does this both with full screen turned off and on. This happened once before and the problem just went away randomly. Now its back and driving me insane! The program is completely unsuable this way. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

What OS are you on? This can occur when launching a game or an app (particularly Unity games) but it should go back to normal once the game exits.
    Hey guygodin,

I know you are working on the SDK 0.6.0 version for virtual desktop. Could you give us a little status update? Do you see performance benefits compared to the older versions? Does the redesign give you a lot of headaches or is it smooth sailing, but just a lot of work?
    I haven't had access to a computer since 0.6 was released so IDK how long it will take yet :P Direct mode will work but I'll have to refactor a bunch of things because of the compositor so don't expect a new version anytime soon.
    Using windows 8.1. Not running any games. I have tried reinstalling both the program itself as well as the oculus runtime. The problem persists.
    Art3mis
    Innisfree wrote:
    Using windows 8.1. Not running any games. I have tried reinstalling both the program itself as well as the oculus runtime. The problem persists.
    It's most likely an issue with another program running. Another issue similar to this was caused when the integrated graphics on the motherboard was enabled, maybe that could be it. Sorry for not being able to help more. Those issues are rare and hard to troubleshoot :(
    I fixed it! I went into the nvidia control panel and I had applied some some custom color settings awhile ago for elite dangerous. At first it didn't cause and problems so I didn't think to check it but when I switched the setting back to "other applications control color settings" the problem completely went away. I am back in business! Thank you so much for your attempts at helping me out. Again, this is by far my favorite application for the rift and can't wait to see it with the CV1!
    Hi

I'd like to project via your application the following live view of these cameras but some of them are not projecting with your application (do you have any other idea how can I project it):
    I'm using windows 7 64bit OS, Nvidia georce GTX 660, Intel I7-3770.

1. when connecting kinect xbox 360 the massage is shown: "install directX runtime" (although I already have it installed) and afterward displaying blank views of RGB and depth windows.

2. canon 600d is working via the EOS utility (great!).

3. webcam lifecam 3000 microsoft is not working, showing blank window.

Please any advise of how can I project them in other way? ...
    guygodin wrote:
    vrmt wrote:
    I'd like to add another feature which is updating automatically the orientation (without pressing F9) according to the head movement, this enables the user to turn his head freely and still see the desktop in front of his current view
    You don't want to do this, trust me. It will make you wanna barf :P

Thanks for the reply, actually it's very important for my system, actualy I'm developer c++ is my major, just introduce me to the location of the code and I'll make the changes, hopefully.
  • peeppaltspeeppalts Posts: 2
    Hi!

Is it possible to have many terminals open, like it is in Bloomberg trading terminal?
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/bloo ... ulus-rift/

With thanks,
    Peep Palts
  • peeppaltspeeppalts Posts: 2
    peeppalts wrote:
    Is it possible to have many terminals open, like it is in Bloomberg trading terminal?
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/bloo ... ulus-rift/

Is it right, when I want to have 9 virtual monitors, I need the GPU with 9 outputs?

Rgrds,
    PP.
  • rowanunderwoodrowanunderwood Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Just updated to Windows 8.1 specifically to try out some of the windows 8 only features :) Unfortunately. Fullscreen no longer works, when I check it it just turns right back off. Is this due to SDK .6 incompatibilities? Thanks!