New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• dawgs4everdawgs4ever Posts: 82
    Brain Burst
    Got this to fire up right away (and I'm someone that usually can't do that). Very fun, although with the somewhat low resolution it's a bit hard to work with for doing general things. But it's awesome nevertheless!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    guygodin wrote:
    small
    This is an issue with the OVRService (SDK 0.4.0) and Oculus is working on it. Thanks for your feedback!

Andy
    Do you see the Rift in your display settings in windows? Do other demos work?

Thanks guygodin.

Yes other demos work, yes i could see my Rift in display settings - i just had to change one of the settings there.

It seems that each demo needs a little tinkering different to the one before at the moment.

As with somebody else here, i went to bed upset that all i could see was the Windows 8 message, but i've just seen your reply to him lol

Keep up the good work!
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    andyring wrote:
    i just had to change one of the settings there.
    out of curiosity, what was the setting you had to change to make it work?
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    guygodin wrote:
    andyring wrote:
    i just had to change one of the settings there.
    out of curiosity, what was the setting you had to change to make it work?

It was the Control Panel, Display, Change Display Settings, Multiple Displays option.

It's getting rather confusing when people are saying extend display etc. - there are now two of these options - one in the Oculus Config Utility and of course the one in Windows.

Lots of fiddling to be done!

Thanks again.
  • ssewellssewell Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Hmmm... from the overview on your initial post, it looks like this is supposed to work on Win 7?

I ensured that I had DirectX 11 already installed (ran the installer at the provided link and the installer told me I already had it installed), but when I run Virtual Desktop, it renders to the Rift but just shows something to the effect of "Windows 8 for best experience" projected on a black background.
  • Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

I'm in the same boat. Win7 x64. DX11 installed, DK2 in extended mode and activated in (ati) control panel
    Art3mis
    baktaktarn wrote:
    Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

I'm in the same boat. Win7 x64. DX11 installed, DK2 in extended mode and activated in (ati) control panel
    Can you run a DxDiag and send me the results? Thanks

ssewell
    In order to see your desktop in the rift, you will need Windows 8. Only the launcher capabilities work on 7.
  • cefylcefyl Posts: 37
    strange thing, i got stereoscopic view for each eye in extended mode with windows 8.1 + nvidia
    Writer on :
    VRapps.co : All (or almost :P ) Oculus Rift Games, Apps & Movies
    EnterTheRift.fr : The French VR Community
    Community : All articles of French VR enthusiasts
  • ssewellssewell Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Roger that. Thanks for the reply.
  • AltAlt Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    guygodin wrote:
    Good to hear! There is chromatic aberration correction already :shock: at least in flat and floating mode.

Ahh, that explains it, I was using curved. On another note, is there a place we can support the development of this app? Donation, purchase, etc etc
  • lavajavalavajava Posts: 3
    The curved setting looks superb, but for some reason it only displays on one eye on my DK2. On the other eye I just see my desktop wall paper :( - Same for the other settings as well. It works fine if I close one eye though! lol

Windows 8.1, GTX 770, latest NVidia drivers.
  • lavajavalavajava Posts: 3
    Actually scrap that. I thought I was running latest NVidia drivers, but just updated them and it works fine now :)

Cool app! :)
    Art3mis
    lavajava wrote:
    The curved setting looks superb, but for some reason it only displays on one eye on my DK2. On the other eye I just see my desktop wall paper :( - Same for the other settings as well. It works fine if I close one eye though! lol
    cefyl wrote:
    strange thing, i got stereoscopic view for each eye in extended mode with windows 8.1 + nvidia
    I'm guessing thats with DK2? I think people were saying that they needed to rotate the rift screen in the nvidia control panel for virtual desktop to work correctly. I don't have a DK2 yet so can't verify.
    Alt wrote:
    On another note, is there a place we can support the development of this app? Donation, purchase, etc etc
    I want it keep it free but I'll add a donate button on the first page, thanks for the suggestion!
    nope i just find what is the problem....

Cool thing and not cool thing.

My Oculus was in 948x1080 120hz. With that res, you can see your desktop with a stereoscopic view.

Going back in 1920x1080 75hz, desktop screwed up (no stereoscopic) but demo work fine :D

So it's just a res story
    Writer on :
  • The image stutters, as soon as I turn my head. As far as i know, that didnt happen with my Dk1. What could be the problem? Flat mode, Win8. Btw, its perfect for movies. Just start the player full screen and everything works :D
  • 9of99of9 Posts: 41
    guygodin wrote:
    Thanks for testing it out guys, other people seem to be having the juddering issue in other demos with the DK2 so I'm guessing we will have to wait and see... Just to confirm this issue is not virtual desktop specific right?

Pretty specific to Virtual Desktop in my case - I've not had this with other apps, except when dealing with low framerates.
    Art3mis
    I don't have the issue with DK1, out of curiosity are people experiencing judder using an ATI/AMD video card?
  • OaksterOakster Posts: 8
    When I launch the Virtual Desktop I get an error saying "an attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)". I have searched this and haven't found any solutions or work arounds. What does this even mean? I downloaded the 64 bit version because I run win 8 64-bit.
    Also, I was getting a missing msvcr120.dll error and searched for the solution that lead me to download it and put it in my system 32 file.
    Art3mis
    Did you run setup.exe? It should take care of installing the VC++ runtime which is why you are getting the missing msvcrt120.dll error. You can download it here. As for the image format exception I've heard about people getting this error before and using the 32bit installer fixed the problem for them.
  • perryperry Posts: 94
    I have the same issue as ssewell... is windows 7 supported?
  • guygodin wrote:
    I don't have the issue with DK1, out of curiosity are people experiencing judder using an ATI/AMD video card?

AMD, but I think its SDK related and not the fault of virtual desktop :)
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    perry wrote:
    I have the same issue as ssewell... is windows 7 supported?
    No, it seems working only on Windows 8... :(
    Art3mis
    Requirements
    - Windows 7 or 8 (desktop duplication will only work on windows 8)

Which means that the launcher will work with Win7 or Win8 but the ability to see your desktop will only work on Win8+
  • XeviaNXeviaN Posts: 28
    Huh, great! I'll try that soon on DK2 :mrgreen:

Feature request: I wish i could choose how many virtual monitors to have and where to place them in space. They obviously had to be recognized by windows as real monitors :D
  • smallsmall Posts: 2
    I have the judder problem with (two) nvidia cards.
    This Virtual Desktop is a must have and i made a french tutorial on entertherift (http://www.entertherift.fr/news-848-dk2-facilitez-vous-la-vie-avec-virtual-desktop.html) (title translation : [DK2]have an easier life with Virtual Desktop).

I was wondering... As you duplicate the 1st monitor on DK2, is there a possibility to add an option to duplicate a demo running on DK2 on main screen ? This could be really great !
    Writer on :
    Art3mis
    Merci cefyl, c'est très apprécié :-)

I used to have an option to duplicate the rift back onto the main display but with SDK 0.4, the games can now mirror to a window so I removed the feature from VD (it only worked on borderless windows anyway and required lots of manual steps to get it working).
  • jblouirjblouir Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    This really needs Direct Mode support, I personally think extended mode should be phased out. Otherwise awesome app!
    Art3mis
    jblouir wrote:
    This really needs Direct Mode support, I personally think extended mode should be phased out. Otherwise awesome app!
    Thanks! Unfortunately Direct Mode breaks the API I'm using so that's why it only works in extended mode at the moment.
  • Just thought I would report that it doesn't seem to work on my machine. It shows the health and safety warning over a black background, then everything is just black
    I have the legacy option checked, as well as 'extended mode'
    I also tried forcing DirectX, but it didn't help.

Windows 8.1
    intel i5 4590
    Radeon R9 290

It would be awesome if I'm just doing something wrong because I really want to give this a try!
    If not though, figured you'd want to know.