New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Tried and none of them helped. As soon as the game starts rendering in SBS mode, headtracking is terrible. It's not a bit of judder, it feels like 8-10 frames per second, although the game keeps rendering at hight speed. Not sure if it will help you, but if I press alt-tab once to change task while inside the game and I keep alt pressed to see available tasks on screen, headtracking works much better. Not judder free but much better than when the game has the focus. And I can see the game in 3D behind the tasks window running just fine. As soon as the game gains forcus again, headtracking tanks.

Also, launching the game without TriDef works perfectly fine.

Hey guygodin, I'm quoting myself on this terrible judder problem, just wondering if this can be fixed at all, or we better can forget avout TriDef3D. Before SDK 0.7 it was running fine and now TriDef + Virtual Desktop is unusable. This is the last reply I got from you:
    Haven't changed much on my side so it's hard to determine why this wouldn't work. Perhaps the new direct mode is the cause.

I was wondering if there is still hope for us TriDef users ;)
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    beldivad wrote:
    Hi!

I'm trying to use your software in mode : to headswet + distortion on the oculus DK2 for a research project and i'm running into a problem. I'm using a matlab executable and it launch into full screen mode and the output to the rift is black. I'm able to go around the probleme by pressing alt/tab ( it make software glitch and the windows tool bar apear on the botom similar to window mode ) and selecting back the software. Unfornulatly that make my software unstable and it often crash. Do you think there's a way to force virtual desktop to focus on the software instead of the background in a similar way that FRAPS can capture video?

Thank you!

P.S. if this work I will ask the lab supervisor to make a donation!
    Try to run matlab in windowed/borderless mode, it shows a black screen because it fails to inject it. The other thing you can try is to launch matlab from the games list.
    Virtual Desktop Developer
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    I was wondering if there is still hope for us TriDef users ;)
    That's out of my control unfortunately. SDK 1.0 might solve this issue though so don't give up hope :-)
  • NikorasuNikorasu Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just had an idea for a feature, tho I have a feeling it's probably been suggested before..

Instead of just having One floating window for the whole desktop screen, would it be possible to have customizable/movable individual floating-windows for each program-window on your desktop? That could be dragged and placed around, as easily as you might move desktop windows, except individually floating in VR..

For example, I could move a floating youtube browser window to my left, and have my Office projects on a window floating in front of me, and instead of having to click on the taskbar to bring the video forward to see it, I could just look left to the other floating screen.
  • tangelotangelo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having a serious issue installing the newest version of Virtual Desktop through VirtualDesktop-Setup.exe.

I can follow through the regular guided installation process fine but as soon as I hit the install button, the software hangs until I close it manually.

Is there any way I could have access to a previous version of Virtual Desktop to help debug this issue?
  • FerocFeroc Posts: 24
    New version is still crashing with the "... Media64.dll failed to register" error during installation. :(
    Art3mis
    If it faits to register its because the media feature pack is not installed or it cannot get admin permission to register it.
  • TremFTremF Posts: 96
    edited February 2016
    OMG! Thank you for this fantastic software!

I received my DK2 today so haven't messed much yet but Virtual Desktop worked instantly and I now have a massive curved monitor floating in space! I've watched some films but haven't tried any games yet. I hope you can make it so we can have multiple virtual monitors without having to have them physically. 3 would be nice :)

I have had an issue though - When running a VR app the headset switched from Virtual Desktop to the VR app but when I quit the app it just freezes on the headset rather than switch back to Virtual Desktop. I have to turn the headset off then back on again for Virtual Desktop to show again. Any ideas please?

As much as I love the OR DK2 I can't wait for CV1 as the low resolution is really noticeable. Especially after coming from a 2560x1440 monitor. :)

EDIT: I have just ordered two Display Port to HDMI adapters and two 4K HDMI Dummy Display adapters from Ebay so I will soon have my three monitor setup in Virtual Desktop :) I also just remembered that the Rift comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter so I could have used that and got just one Display Port to HDMI adapter... never mind :)

It's pointless having all the power two Titan X's provide and not using them :)
  • FerocFeroc Posts: 24
    guygodin wrote:
    If it faits to register its because the media feature pack is not installed or it cannot get admin permission to register it.

I found the solution, because as I stated I've already installed the MFP.

But there was an update and now there are two different MFP from Microsoft. The second one fixed the problem.

Here are the links to all packs:

Windows 8 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30685
    Windows 8.1 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40744
    Windows 8.1 N/KN Update - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=42503
    Windows 10 N/KN - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48231
    Windows 10 N/KN Update 1511 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=49919
    Art3mis
    Thanks for those links! I'll update the website to point to those
  • adamadam Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Hi,

I have just watched the demo video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JynN5mmZ0KQ

- and note you can change the background in the options

- also on the home page http://www.vrdesktop.net/ under the "Other features include:" section it says: Custom environments..

My questions:

1) What are these custom environments mentioned on the home page?
    2) I'd like to view my Virtual Desktop whilst inside a true 3d environment - eg. instead of choosing a background in the options I'd like to be able to choose a 3d model as my surrounding environment - eg view my Virtual Desktop inside the Tuscany 'level'. - Is there any way to load somehow load a 3d environment that the Virtual Desktop is then placed into?
    3) Are you transferring to paid version for CV1 ? (The site says free for DK1 and DK2)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Adam.
    adam wrote:
    1) What are these custom environments mentioned on the home page?
    2) I'd like to view my Virtual Desktop whilst inside a true 3d environment - eg. instead of choosing a background in the options I'd like to be able to choose a 3d model as my surrounding environment - eg view my Virtual Desktop inside the Tuscany 'level'. - Is there any way to load somehow load a 3d environment that the Virtual Desktop is then placed into?

Hi there. Apart from the space scenes you can have it blank (black) or Home Theater but I wouldn't use Home Theater for normal Windows/browsing as the text isn't readable.

The space scenes are pretty good and you can have your display either flat or curved and as big and as close/far as you like. If you have multiple monitors you can arrange them to wrap around you 360* The monitor(s) seem to be floating in front/around you and the space scenes provide a decent background to make you feel you're up there and IMO are quite relaxing/calming.

If you don't have multiple physical monitors there are dummy adapters you can buy which fool your PC into thinking there is a monitor plugged in and are massively cheaper than actually buying extra monitors and take up no extra space apart from the adapter in your PC. I physically have one 27" 2560x1440 monitor but also have two 4K HDMI dummy adapters coming so that, when I put the headset on, I have 2 extra virtual desktops to play with :) Also the rift is accepting the 2560x1440 resolution set by my main display so it looks better than 1080P both on the desktop and in games.

Where games are concerned VorpX is an app worth getting for games that aren't made for VR.

Sorry for the waffle - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop with VR at the moment. I can't wait to receive my CV1 in July :)
    Art3mis
    Thanks TremF, and to add to your reply, custom environments means user-created environments. You can your own from a 360 panorama, a cubemap or custom model (.fbx, .obj file) through the Environment Editor.

The app will be sold on Steam and Oculus Store (pending approval) for consumer versions of the Rift and Vive. I'll have more info about this soon.
    guygodin wrote:
    The app will be sold on Steam and Oculus Store (pending approval) for consumer versions of the Rift and Vive. I'll have more info about this soon.

Woot! I'll deffo buy from Steam when you release. I'm surprised you aren't charging already. It's a fantastic app. Many thanks for all your work :)
  • Hello,

Loved the virtual desktop for Dk2 wanted to know if you were planning on creating one that supported the OSVR hacker development kit v1.3
    Art3mis
    OSVR will be supported through OpenVR when it launches
  • eaheah Posts: 15 Oculus Staff
    Some feedback on 0.9.40 running against the 0.8 back-compat path on a not-yet-publicly released SDK: It fails to run on new prototype hardware with a "No VR Headset Found", are you explicitly checking for known HMD models? DK2 does work in 0.9.40, and 0.9.37 works for both DK2 and the newer HMD against the new SDK.

Also you seem to be skipping ovr_GetEyePoses on frame #3 which means the app timing is messed up for that frame, is there a reason you need to pass explicit frame indexes rather than letting the SDK handle it (e.g. pass 0 as the frameIndex)?
  • were can we find some info about how to make custom environments and whats is needed please
    Art3mis
    I replied to you in private eah.

About creating environments Vladimir, I don't have documentation available at the moment but it should be pretty straightforward. Just launch the Environment Editor and you'll be able to figure out what's needed. You can use a 360 equirectangular panorama, cubemap, stereo cubemap or model (in .fbx, .obj, .blend, etc). Please PM me any questions you have.
  • I'm getting this error everytime i try to install. Error 1001. Exception occurred while initializing the installation: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\users\Adam\desktop\oculussdk\GAMES\VirtualDesktop\VirtualDesktop.CustomActions.dll' or one of its dependencies. That GAMES subfolder doesn't even exist.
    Art3mis
    You have an old (very old) version installed. you'll need to get rid of it (usually with a registry cleaner) first.
  • djbass101djbass101 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    After a bunch of research, I am unable to get the Multi-Monitor to be no grayed out. I am running a GTX470 and GTS450 which I have had working in the past when I was running windows 8.1, and an older version of this software, but after "dusting it off" I am unable to get it to work.

I can get the single monitor to work fine, just grayed out on the Multi-Monitor. I have tried multiple versions of the runtime (.7 and .8) with different installation sequences. This also included compatibility modes on the software and the runtime.

Current enviroment is:

Windows 10
    GTX 470
    GTS 450
    Runtime 0.8
    VR Desktop 0.9.4

Any ideas?

The closest I found was to make sure your oculus is the primary monitor, although this is not possible anymore with the new runtimes.
    Art3mis
    Since 0.7 I can only capture from monitors connected to the same GPU as the Rift. It's a limitation on Oculus' side.
  • blazespinnaker2blazespinnaker2 Posts: 52
    NerveGear
    Is there a log file I can look at? It doesn't work. When I go to the settings it just flashes again and again, where the adapter shows the video card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980) for about 100ms and then flips to N/A over and over again.

I also get the error "VR headset detected but no monitors found."

It's Windows 8.1

I've used it before on a different machine and I really loved it. Amazing software.
  • ZaneAZaneA Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have noticed that Virtual Desktop isn't working well if your primary monitor is rotated (e.g. 90 degree vertical setups), I don't usually run this way but have been recently and Virtual Desktop either warps the screen in a strange way (when the Curved option is enabled), or draws with the incorrect rotation (also cutting off a portion of the screen). The cursor also doesn't map to the screen in this case, would be cool to have this fixed but I imagine it's a bit of an odd case.

One other minor feature request as well, it would be great to be able to control the rotation of the environment as well, there are a couple of environments where I would love to be positioned facing the other direction.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome software!
  • Hi,

No matter what I do, I cannot get Virtual Desktop to install - I am running Windows 10 Pro N, and I have tried downloading the Media Feature pack at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229, which I am not convinced installed correctly, and when I try and install Virtual Desktop I get the following:

"Module C:|Program Files\Virtual Desktop\VirtualDesktop.Engine.Media64.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147024770."

Any idea how I can proceed?

Cheers
  • Hello, I haven't read through the entire thread but I did try some searches about this and nothing came up. I have the Rift saver turned on in the Oculus Configuration utility and set for 10 minutes. But running Virtual Desktop seems to interfere with it, my Rift's screen just stays on. I'm worried about screen burn-in when I've got my headset off, so anyone know what to do? Is this expected behavior? I'm using SDK 0.8 on Windows 10 btw.

I guess the other option is to quit Virtual Desktop every time I take off the headset, and start it back up again before putting it back on, but that's not too convenient obviously.

Thanks! :D
  • when I go on only a quarter of the black panel is show (my res is 2560 x 1440) and the mouse pointer in the vr looks alot higher then it really is.

cheers jack
  • I want to make custom cube maps for my VR experience. The Galaxy snap shots and theater are cool but I want to make my own.

What program do I use to open an existing file and paint over it with my own images and such all willy nilly like and then where do I save my work in what default install folder?

thanks

vote Donald Trump 2016
    Art3mis
    I also get the error "VR headset detected but no monitors found.
    make sure your monitors are plugged into the same GPU as the Rift.
    ZaneA wrote:
    I have noticed that Virtual Desktop isn't working well if your primary monitor is rotated (e.g. 90 degree vertical setups), I don't usually run this way but have been recently and Virtual Desktop either warps the screen in a strange way (when the Curved option is enabled), or draws with the incorrect rotation (also cutting off a portion of the screen).
    Known issue. It's on my list of things to fix :) As for the ability to rotate environments, also on my list but it will probably be added later on.
    No matter what I do, I cannot get Virtual Desktop to install - I am running Windows 10 Pro N, and I have tried downloading the Media Feature pack at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229, which I am not convinced installed correctly, and when I try and install Virtual Desktop I get the following:

"Module C:|Program Files\Virtual Desktop\VirtualDesktop.Engine.Media64.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147024770."

Any idea how I can proceed?

Try to install the Media feature pack from this link. In any case, you will be able to use 1.0 even if the dll fails to register. though you wont be able to play 360 videos.
    Hello, I haven't read through the entire thread but I did try some searches about this and nothing came up. I have the Rift saver turned on in the Oculus Configuration utility and set for 10 minutes. But running Virtual Desktop seems to interfere with it, my Rift's screen just stays on. I'm worried about screen burn-in when I've got my headset off, so anyone know what to do? Is this expected behavior? I'm using SDK 0.8 on Windows 10 btw.

I guess the other option is to quit Virtual Desktop every time I take off the headset, and start it back up again before putting it back on, but that's not too convenient obviously.
    You can just turn off the Rift (with the power button on the headset)?
    when I go on only a quarter of the black panel is show (my res is 2560 x 1440) and the mouse pointer in the vr looks alot higher then it really is.
    What GPU are you using and what driver version? Its the first time I hear about something like this. Are you running the latest version (0.9.40)?