New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• I've got new information regarding the jutter problem. As soon as I set the Rift display as primary display in the Windows display configuration menu, the jutter vanishes. Seems to be a Windows v-Sync issue when using extendened desktop mode.
  • ChaossChaoss Posts: 257
    Art3mis
    To fix the judder either...

A: set the Rift's refresh rate to the same as your desktop (usually 60hz), you'll loose low persistence but it works without juddering

or B: set your main display to the same refresh rate as the DK2 (ie. 75hz) you will need to make a custom resolution in NVidia control panel, some monitors it'll work with, some it wont at all and some it will show, but your monitor will still only put out 60hz (although the desktop will now run at 75hz) hence you will get frame skipping on your monitor but not the Rift.
    "In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
  • Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

hGOaz8k.png

Anyone found a sulution to this ^ ?
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    You need to install the windows 7 platform update as described in the requirements on the first page.
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • I dont get the tray icon in the taskbar
    Running Windows7
    and when I try to run a game / app in rift mode nothing happens..
    I get the Vertual Desktop logo in the rift though..
  • Sentry4Sentry4 Posts: 1
    This mod doesn't work with Win7. Which is really too bad, since Win7 is much more popular than Win8.

I hope they can get it to work with Win7. I hate having to take my rift off to adjust everything.
    Art3mis
    Sentry4 wrote:
    This mod doesn't work with Win7. Which is really too bad, since Win7 is much more popular than Win8.

I hope they can get it to work with Win7. I hate having to take my rift off to adjust everything.
    As I've stated before, some features will work on 7 such as the launcher but desktop duplication will not (you will just see the logo). I wish there was a way to make it work on 7 but there simply isn't any public API to capture the screen efficiently prior to Windows 8. You can try Deskope which provides similar functionality on Windows 7.
  • I love this tool, using it a lot and there are nog big issues, i have the jittering as well, but if this is on the list to be fixt this software is amazing, keep up the great work :)

I also discovered some small bugs during some tests with this viritual desktop, no idea if this is my settings, or something that needs more development.

- When i play games, sometimes it happens that i watch the games in 3d view, so no rift experience, just a flat 2d game with stereo eye view. sometimes i get it to work, sometimes not. is there something i need to do to have a seamless transition between desktop and games ?

- When using the rift as primary display, i get a clean desktop with no options, also not possible to open configuration settings to turn back ( can't play games). I guess i'm doing someting wrong, but same like the previous, sometimes it works perfect.

just some feedback, love to work with it.

( running windows 8.1) GPU : nvidia 670 GTX
    Art3mis
    Thanks blender, the ability to play 2d games will depend on the game. Some fullscreen games will not work (because they prevent the display from being recorded) but if you're able to switch them to borderless or windowed mode it should work.

You should not set the rift as your primary display otherwise it will be hard to use your computer since windows will open apps behind Virtual Desktop's window.

I've put in a fix which will hopefully help with judder, for those who received their DK2, let me know if this helps! Thanks!
  • I still have jutter, but maybe someone else have better experience.

Maybe a new fix from oculus will solve this jutter problem. What really helps is changing from 75 to 60 herz( oculus display). It is way more smooth, but far from perfect. Still better than juttering frames XD
  • ezRocketezRocket Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Haven't gotten around to trying it on Win8 but did install it on Win7.

Installs fine but starting it gives this error:

EDIT: Seems I was missing a critical Windows update. Works now after installing this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=36805
  • ph4ilph4il Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I'm using Windows 8.1 and its running very good for me. I really like it, thanks man!

Have you thought about the idea that you can also display multiple monitors in this? I for example have 3 monitors and it'd be awesome if i could see them also in Virtual Desktop like i configured them in Windows.

So for example:
    Left Monitor - Main Monitor - Right Monitor

I could look to the left and the right and see my other monitors, like in a cube. Do you get what i mean? :lol:

Like that, you would be like sitting in the middle of this cube.
    ekgHMzs.png

Is that even possible? :D
  • reexereexe Posts: 11
    ph4il wrote:
    I'm using Windows 8.1 and its running very good for me. I really like it, thanks man!

Have you thought about the idea that you can also display multiple monitors in this? I for example have 3 monitors and it'd be awesome if i could see them also in Virtual Desktop like i configured them in Windows.

So for example:
    Left Monitor - Main Monitor - Right Monitor

I could look to the left and the right and see my other monitors, like in a cube. Do you get what i mean? :lol:

ekgHMzs.png

I would love this too! however i would like them to be set as a 3x1 curved setup, it would be awesome if it was possible to arrange freely.
  • nintarinintari Posts: 44
    OMG such great work!

tried a few things out and then watched a bluray for a few minutes, it was like my own personal cinema!

Now... QUICKLY!! I'd love to be able to watch 3D Blu-rays / rips in 3D! VR Player doesn't have the lens correction so there is a lot of color separation / chromatic aberration.

* edit just found some more now exploring around lol either way great work!
  • QuetzhalQuetzhal Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Still getting judder here, though it's better - It's probably just my card (GTX 645). Curved mode actually seems to have the least judder, but as far as I can tell tracking isn't 1:1 (the screen moves in the opposite direction of my head when I look around), which is... extremely disorienting. I'm pretty prone to sim sickness, so I'm nursing an intense headache now, haha. Is this intentional, or maybe just an illusion caused by the curved screen? It'd be awesome if you could add a static curved screen as an option.

Edit: Is it possible I'm getting the judder because my main display can only run at 60hz? VSync might be sticking me to 60fps for Virtual Desktop since it's mirroring the main display.
    Art3mis
    Quetzhal
    Do you mean that positional tracking is inverted with the curved screen? I have no way of testing until I receive my DK2 but no it is not intended if that's the case. The judder issue is with the 0.4 SDK I think since nobody experienced it before.
  • Is it possible to interpolate a 60Hz signal from the primary monitor to 75Hz inside the program? That may be one of the factors for the judder.
    Art3mis
    No the desktop image refresh rate is independent of the virtual desktop's refresh rate. The issue just appeared with the latest SDK, as I mentioned earlier it will be fixed by Oculus.
  • QuetzhalQuetzhal Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Not really; it feels more like head movement is amplified - I assume from reading the earlier posts that that's pretty much what's happening. I'm turning in the correct direction, but the screen also shifts in the opposite direction so that I don't have to turn as much. The problem is that the amplification also makes movement pretty shaky - small movements shift the screen as well, so it's hard to focus properly on a specific point. It's also disorienting, but I'm probably one of the few people that happens to, haha. Is there any way to turn that off?
  • SmorlFoxSmorlFox Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I'm using a DK1 with Windows 8 and once I installed the software I see a greyed out oculus eye logo down in the toolbar but when I hover over it, it just says "No Rift Detected" despite the Rift showing up in my display properties, where I have it set to "Extend These Displays"

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is DK2 only right?
  • polypusherpolypusher Posts: 38 Oculus Start Member
    How close is this to being something I can use to basically hook up a computer to a Rift and no other monitor? I'm stoked about the possibility of booting up to my rift, being able to do a few web things, play a steam game or two in virtual desktop mode, then launch into Elite: Dangerous and still be able to alt-tab out to answer an email or something.

I might even get to escape the office with this sort of setup. Take a recliner in the den, set up a computer behind it, a handy wireless mouse/keyboard simply resting on the corner table beside it... add a beer helmet. Good to go!
  • ph4il wrote:

ekgHMzs.png

I have a suggestion that might be a cool addition to your great idea - have it where when you look at one of the screens say the 'left' one for example and you hit a key that causes that screen to be the 'center front' screen. So now you are looking forward center at the screen you selected and the other ones are left, right, up and down. If someone could do this it would become remarkably useful. There are a few utilities that do some of these things with regular monitors but they are often difficult to use. With this you would just look at it, hit a key and poof thats your front center one.
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    Im using a computer with rift dk2 as the only monitor.
    I communicate with it via vnc on a netbook.
    I can run some demos when the rift is in direct mode using direct to rift links, and I can run practically all when its in extended mode with direct to rift-links.
    The only one that does not work in either mode is Virtual Desktop. It just says that rift is connected but not in extended mode (even when it is in extended mode).

Do you know if it will be possible to run Virtual Desktop in this kind of setup in the future, with only rift as screen?
    Im using a computer with rift dk2 as the only monitor.
    I communicate with it via vnc on a netbook.
    I can run some demos when the rift is in direct mode using direct to rift links, and I can run practically all when its in extended mode with direct to rift-links.
    The only one that does not work in either mode is Virtual Desktop. It just says that rift is connected but not in extended mode (even when it is in extended mode).

Do you know if it will be possible to run Virtual Desktop in this kind of setup in the future, with only rift as screen?

If u have your rift connected from hdmi it might be possible to force windows to output to a vga (even if it is not existing)
    i am doing this with my rift, what u have to do is go into screen resolution (right-click desktop) and press detect, if it says another display is not detected u can then press that other display and on multiple display roll-down menu u choose "Try to connect anyway" (also set that display as main display), that way u will have a extra monitor that the Virtual Desktop can clone to your rift.
    Is it not at all possible to clone the desktop of another grafic card?
    I have two grafic cards, one of them have 3 displays set up in eyefinity, so windows counts it as one big monitor, however my grafic card can only handle 3 monitors, so my rift is plugged in to my second grafic card, and i can only get Virtual Desktop to work if i force and extra vga output on my second grafic card (where the rift is also connected).
    Art3mis
    SmorlFox wrote:
    Oh wait, this is DK2 only right?
    It also works with DK1, if it says no Rift detected, make sure that the OVR Service is running and that the USB cable is connected.
    Do you know if it will be possible to run Virtual Desktop in this kind of setup in the future, with only rift as screen
    No, you will need at a minimum a monitor in addition to the rift. You can try the solution described by reexe or any other way to simulate a monitor in windows.
    reexe wrote:
    Is it not at all possible to clone the desktop of another grafic card?
    It will work with some cards and not others, I do not have a bunch of setups to know exactly which configurations work but I've heard that it can with multiple cards. Perhaps they have to be in SLI? I don't know.

I need people with Windows 7 to test the latest version: I've added full support for it (you will now have the ability to see your desktop). The framerate will probably suck but I wanna get your feedback, thanks!
  • polypusherpolypusher Posts: 38 Oculus Start Member
    Well, it basically works! (Win7 here) I'm able to render my desktop to the Rift. I get similar 'juddering' as I do with pretty much everything else out there, so there's that. I threw on some Netflix and it felt like watching on a projector (screen door and all!) Anything in particular I should try?

For settings I tried Flat and Floating. There didnt seem to be any difference between the two. Pretty sure I can reset the orientation in either one.
    Curved seemed to exaggerate my head movement, so that looking down and left would sort of meet me half way by also shifting what I'm looking at up and right, if that makes sense.

Small recommendation: make adjusting the Screen Distance less drastic. Going up a few cm seemed to push it out by virtual feet
    Art3mis
    Thanks for trying it out on Win7, happy to hear it works! Couldn't really test it on my side. What resolution is your desktop? I've added code to automatically disable Aero, if you get decent FPS I'm guessing this worked?

FYI the floating mode allows you to set the screen above your head for example while the flat one will always be at 90 degrees with the floor.
  • OnEdgeOnEdge Posts: 37
    Thanks for adding Win 7 support it worked on the first attempt (I am posting this from it!) but I have pretty bad vertical tearing which I havent really noticed on other demo's etc. I have V-Sync turned on in Nvidia panel and even added Virtual Desktop own settings to make sure V-Sync is on and it hasn't helped. Nvidia reckons my rift is running at 75hz.
  • jsdepreyjsdeprey Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2014
    I have an issue on Win 8.1 where I can see my main desktop fine as the virtual desktop, but only if I close one eye in the rift, if I close the other eye I see my extended desktop background. One eye sees Virtual Desktop, Other eye sees extended desktop background.
    Anyone else have this issue? maybe it is something I am doing wrong somewhere, I run the rift in extended mode "landscape flipped" and it works well for most game I am currently playing.