New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    OnEdge wrote:
    Thanks for adding Win 7 support it worked on the first attempt (I am posting this from it!) but I have pretty bad vertical tearing which I havent really noticed on other demo's etc. I have V-Sync turned on in Nvidia panel and even added Virtual Desktop own settings to make sure V-Sync is on and it hasn't helped. Nvidia reckons my rift is running at 75hz.
    Cool, thanks for trying it! I also experienced the vertical tearing but wasn't sure if it was because of my weird setup in Win8 to test the Win7 implementation. I'll look into it, definitely annoying yes!
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • Also wanted to give thanks and props for adding win7 support, besides some chromatic aberration and screen tearing this works great for me. It's so awsome!
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    reexe wrote:
    If u have your rift connected from hdmi it might be possible to force windows to output to a vga (even if it is not existing)
    i am doing this with my rift, what u have to do is go into screen resolution (right-click desktop) and press detect, if it says another display is not detected u can then press that other display and on multiple display roll-down menu u choose "Try to connect anyway" (also set that display as main display), that way u will have a extra monitor that the Virtual Desktop can clone to your rift.

Good suggestion! Im gonna try that. Thanks!
  • XerionXerion Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Trying it out on windows 7. It works, and I don't have tearing (moving windows around is quite smooth) but there is quite a bit of judder from the head tracking. Also it turns off aero :( Lastly, when I'm moving windows around sometimes parts don't get redrawn where the window used to be. Apart from these things, awesome work though :)
  • TWhiteTWhite Posts: 363
    1 week after finally convincing myself to move to 8.1 from 7, and you perform a miracle lol just another temptation to make me go back!

Great job man haha.
    CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    Art3mis
    TWhite wrote:
    1 week after finally convincing myself to move to 8.1 from 7, and you perform a miracle lol just another temptation to make me go back!

Great job man haha.
    Don't worry, you're getting a much better experience in Virtual Desktop with Win8. There are lots of issues on 7 that I'm not sure I'll be able to fix!
    Xerion wrote:
    there is quite a bit of judder from the head tracking. Also it turns off aero :( Lastly, when I'm moving windows around sometimes parts don't get redrawn where the window used to be. Apart from these things, awesome work though
    The judder is SDK related as I mentioned before. I have to turn off DWM composition (i.e. Aero) on Win7 otherwise the performance goes down the toilet. I'm not sure about the redrawing problem you're experiencing though.
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    windows 7 for the win! thanks guy, this is fantastic (typed in my dk2 with virtual desktop).
    Art3mis
    The screen tearing problem in Windows 7 has been fixed. Let me know if you experience any other issues.
  • evanhortevanhort Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This is working really well for me on windows 7. I have a nvidia GTX 670 with vsync forced on. I noticed vertical tearing at first but now it's gone... not sure why. However I do notice some blurring like maybe low persistence is not supported. Is it using the IPD settings setup in the Oculus tool? I can't tell.

The resolution is a bit better than I expected but not quite usable yet. The curved mode though lets me focus on things so I can I can read text better but there is judder when I switch to curved mode for some reason. This kind of software is going to really shine on CV1 with a higher res screen.

Watching a movie on your own personal big screen is really cool.
  • KerganKergan Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Just wanted to let you know I just tried this and it works GREAT! Actually been trying it for about 4 hours...general surfing, YouTube, watched a dvd, and played all my direct to rift demos without a hitch. A fantastic program and super easy to use. Nice to have my desktop on a personal IMAX and I don't have to wear my reading glasses like I do on my monitor. One question though...is there a way to remove games from the list once they're put on it?

i7 3820 3.8
    16 gig quad channel
    GTX 555
    Art3mis
    Kergan wrote:
    ...is there a way to remove games from the list once they're put on it?
    Thanks for the feedback! You can remove games through the games tab by right-click -> Remove
    evanhort wrote:
    Is it using the IPD settings setup in the Oculus tool? I can't tell.
    For the Flat and Floating mode yes, for the curved screen it isn't at the moment but will in the near future.
  • IcerIcer Posts: 4
    Hi. I've installed and used virtual desktop for some time. very good and usefull. I only suggest to add 4th mode. Curved but floating in front of you. I''ve found that its very distractin when screen is moving when i'm moving my head, flat mode is very good but screen at the edges is very hard to see because its under wrong angle.
  • knapmanknapman Posts: 63
    Brain Burst
    Just trying this for the first time due to w7 support, seems to be working but have quite bad tearing, i've tried forcing vsync in the gpu drivers but this doesn't seem to help in this case

feels like it would be nice if the screen modes remembered their own distance and size settings rather than shared values for all modes
    System: i5-3570k / GTX 670 / 8GB / Xonar DGX / Win7 64bit
  • ianmacmillanianmacmillan Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just downloaded the latest version of this and wanted to say thanks. Very helpful for starting/stopping games etc in the Rift.

I do have a couple/three problems on my Win7 box, though. I'm running a GTX-780 with vsync forced on:

1. Vertical tearing. I read in a previous post that you fixed this in Win7, but I still have it.
    2. The view really strains my eyes, for some reason. It's as if the separation is too high/low for my eyes. Other 3D apps don't do this to me.
    3. Mouse cursor tracking is off by maybe 10 pixels of so in the vertical axis. To click a window's close button ('X'), for example, I have to click below the button.

Anyway, still really helpful. Thanks much.
    Art3mis
    I just downloaded the latest version of this and wanted to say thanks. Very helpful for starting/stopping games etc in the Rift.

I do have a couple/three problems on my Win7 box, though. I'm running a GTX-780 with vsync forced on:

1. Vertical tearing. I read in a previous post that you fixed this in Win7, but I still have it.
    2. The view really strains my eyes, for some reason. It's as if the separation is too high/low for my eyes. Other 3D apps don't do this to me.
    3. Mouse cursor tracking is off by maybe 10 pixels of so in the vertical axis. To click a window's close button ('X'), for example, I have to click below the button.

Thanks Ian!

1. Do you still get tearing if you disable aero before starting Virtual Desktop?
    2. Do you get eye strain with Flat mode or just Curved? Curved mode uses a fixed IPD at the moment but I'll rework that.
    3. Hmmm that's odd, anyone else experiencing an offset in mouse tracking?
  • I really enjoyed using this on the dk2, any possibility of getting hands on the source? I would like to try a few things to see if I could get multi-source input. I did get some crashes when using a 4k monitor as a primary view source, I think its related to memory management.
  • Thanks for adding Win 7 support! Works great here finally!
    DK2 ordered on March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT status: RECEIVED
    Art3mis
    I really enjoyed using this on the dk2, any possibility of getting hands on the source? I would like to try a few things to see if I could get multi-source input. I did get some crashes when using a 4k monitor as a primary view source, I think its related to memory management.
    No plan on releasing source. Multi-monitor is in progress; it will work flawlessly on Win8 but expect low frame rates on Win7. Using a 4K desktop should work on Win8.
  • guygodin wrote:
    I really enjoyed using this on the dk2, any possibility of getting hands on the source? I would like to try a few things to see if I could get multi-source input. I did get some crashes when using a 4k monitor as a primary view source, I think its related to memory management.
    No plan on releasing source. Multi-monitor is in progress; it will work flawlessly on Win8 but expect low frame rates on Win7. Using a 4K desktop should work on Win8.

I understand, could I request a feature then? I think this has some very amazing potential. Could you possibly link to an API for json to accept DB requests for laying hud/gpu overlays as part of the view. I have a machine that I'm doing some work with that uses nvidia K1 grid cards. These are not traditional GPU and have some nice advanced features if used properly. I would like to explore the idea that multiple desktop displays could be presented with resolutions of 4096x4096.

love the app! ;)
  • ianmacmillanianmacmillan Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    guygodin wrote:

Thanks Ian!

1. Do you still get tearing if you disable aero before starting Virtual Desktop?
    2. Do you get eye strain with Flat mode or just Curved? Curved mode uses a fixed IPD at the moment but I'll rework that.
    3. Hmmm that's odd, anyone else experiencing an offset in mouse tracking?

1. I still get tearing with aero isabled. It was disabled to begin with, actually.
    2. Yes, eye strain with flat mode. I just tried curved mode and it is definitely harder on my eyes.
    3. Ya, this is a weird one.

I'll report back if I find any solutions.
  • I must be dumb, how is this supposed to work. I think i have it installed on windows 7 32 bit, but i can't seem to get any sort of virtual desktop going. Am i supposed to have the monitors in a special arrangement (ie, not cloned)?
    Art3mis
    ralphscott wrote:
    I must be dumb, how is this supposed to work. I think i have it installed on windows 7 32 bit, but i can't seem to get any sort of virtual desktop going. Am i supposed to have the monitors in a special arrangement (ie, not cloned)?
    You need to have your monitors setup in extended mode, that's all. Do you see the icon in the system tray?
    Art3mis
    I've updated Virtual Desktop to use the 0.4.1 SDK, I don't think this fixes the judder issue with DK2 but let me know!
  • Sent ya a pm, interested in the new build! Thanks!
  • guygodin wrote:
    ralphscott wrote:
    I must be dumb, how is this supposed to work. I think i have it installed on windows 7 32 bit, but i can't seem to get any sort of virtual desktop going. Am i supposed to have the monitors in a special arrangement (ie, not cloned)?
    You need to have your monitors setup in extended mode, that's all. Do you see the icon in the system tray?

Yes, i have the icon there. And i can change the settings, but trying to bring up the configuration utility doesn't work.

I set my monitors to extend, do i need to restart the program? I also tried to play a game by launching it from the application, i didn't notice anything different.
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    Hi, just installed this app on Windows 7 64bit, and it's really cool! But unfortunately I too have the tearing on my right display when I move my head... :(
    Art3mis
    ralphscott wrote:
    Yes, i have the icon there. And i can change the settings, but trying to bring up the configuration utility doesn't work.
    Is the icon in the tray gray or white? What does the text say when you mouse over it? What do you see in the rift?
    Hi, just installed this app on Windows 7 64bit, and it's really cool! But unfortunately I too have the tearing on my right display when I move my head... :(
    Tearing as in, an horizontal line across the screen? Or is it judder (image isn't smooth when you turn your head)?
  • jf032jf032 Posts: 29
    Just installed the newest version on Win7 64bit, and oddly enough, there is no tearing (I have VSYNC forced on on my 270X, and I experienced significant tearing in the last version of Virtual Desktop). However, there is a very specifically-timed judder that is most noticeable when I move my head. It is there when I have my main monitor in various refreshes (up to 144Hz). My monitor does not have a 75Hz setting, so I just tried setting both the DK2 and my monitor to 60Hz, and while it is less noticeable because of the extreme motion blur, the judder is still there (sidenote to people experiencing motion blur in 75Hz after coming from 60Hz - turn off and turn the DK2 back on to fix).

Also, tilting seems to be broken - the images go out of alignment (vertically, relative to gravity) when I tilt my head.
  • knapmanknapman Posts: 63
    Brain Burst
    as far as im aware the images going out of alignment is the tearing, the rifts screen is rotated so you just see the effect vertically instead of horizontally, if you close one eye you'll likely find its only noticeable on one

just to report the update to 0.4.1 runtime did not help with the vsync issues for me
    System: i5-3570k / GTX 670 / 8GB / Xonar DGX / Win7 64bit
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    guygodin wrote:
    ralphscott wrote:
    Tearing as in, an horizontal line across the screen? Or is it judder (image isn't smooth when you turn your head)?
    I have a vertical line that "splits" the image on the right display when I move my head. The left screen is perfect.
    I have the same problem in Quake 2, but everything else is fine. I think it's a problem of the Extended Mode. :(