New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

Comments

• NevilNevil Posts: 119
    Thanks! Cool app and I got it running with no issues :)
    CPU: i7 6700K GPU: GTX980 Ti (latest WHQL) OS: Windows 10 x64
    DK2 on Oculus SDK 0.8.0.0 Firmware 2.12
  • I managed to get this working on Windows 7 64-Bit using DK1 quite well. I would suggest disabling vsync and triple buffering in your video display properties / in your game before launching this as it really helps with performance a lot. Most of what I tried worked pretty well, gaming on the big screen is awesome! I experienced quite a bit of drift while using this though, hopefully this can be fixed. I'd like to make a few suggestions if I may.

- Adjust the screen size using hotkeys (perfect if your already in a game)

- Support for popular lower resolutions as they don't display properly in Virtual Desktop, ie: 640x480, 800x600 etc... A lot of in-game menus run in a lower resolution than the in-game resolution itself. Is this possible?

- Any chance of built-in 3d support such as Anaglyph 3D?

Nice job here!
    Mike
  • guygodin wrote:
    Can't launch, have redownloaded and installed multiple times. Getting the following error:

HRESULT: (0x80004002), Module: [General], ApiCode
    [E_NOINTERFACE/No such interface supported], Message: No such
    interface supported

I'm running windows x86
    You need to install the windows 7 platform update as stated in the requirements.

When I try to run that, it says this update is not applicable. maybe because I installed a 64 version and I'm running 86? Where can I get the x86? Not sure if that's it, but not sure what else to do here.
  • guygodinguygodin Posts: 611
    Art3mis
    aaron
    This link allows you to choose which one to install. Note that if you enable Windows Update on your computer, it should get installed automatically.

I've added the ability to enable/disable V-Sync as well as TimeWarp in the latest version. I'm also displaying performance statistics (framerate, cpu usage, measured latency). Hopefully this will help folks who have issues. FYI, I'm still on a DK1 so I couldn't test the latency number, let me know if it makes sense.

Cheers!
    Virtual Desktop Developer
  • QuetzhalQuetzhal Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I get "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." Any ideas?
    Art3mis
    Quetzhal wrote:
    Hmm is this only with the latest version? What OS are you running on?
  • guygodin wrote:
    Quetzhal wrote:
    Hmm is this only with the latest version? What OS are you running on?

Getting the same error on a fully updated windows 8.1. I happen to be on a laptop with nvidia optimus but have had judder-free success by setting my desktop to only render to the rift. However, for Virtual desktop, nothing seems to work, including having the monitor as main, having the rift as main, or having the rift as the only desktop. This is the first time I've tried it, so I can't comment on whether older versions worked any better.
    Art3mis
    Thanks for reporting this, there must be something wrong with the latency test method and the DK2, I'll wait till I have mine to test it out. The latency will display N/A but the application should now be working.
  • retsigerretsiger Posts: 4
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the quick turnaround! So I tried the new build and it runs. Apps run and load up on the rift.

However, with no apps the rift display is mostly black. I noticed the task bar is present and reactive on the bottom although it's difficult to see. No actual applications render though. I don't see a mouse either if I'm just moving it around. If I drag an existing window over, then I DO see a mouse, but just the mouse, not the window that's being dragged. It doesn't seem stereo either. On the main monitor the window renders fine of course. The behavior seems to be the same regardless of which monitor is set as primary (although with the rift primary the task bar gets the full running apps listed instead of just the icons). With just the rift and my primary monitor off, then apps still run but nothing is stereo. I tried restarting both the ovr service and virtual desktop with no changes.

Quiet a selection of symptoms, so I don't know if this is helpful :) If there's any diagnostic info I could provide, I'd be happy to do so. This app is very exciting!

Edit: Rebooting didn't help. Also worth noting that clicking reset to defaults in the settings page caused a crash. Now it crashes on startup. :( I looked at the callstack is vc2013 and here's what it's giving me:
    >	SharpOVR.dll!SharpOVR.Profile.Latencies.get()	Unknown
     	VirtualDesktop.Engine.dll!VirtualDesktop.Engine.PerformanceStats.Update(SharpOVR.HMD hmd, SharpOVR.FrameTiming frameTiming)	Unknown
     	VirtualDesktop.Engine.dll!VirtualDesktop.Engine.Game.Draw(SharpOVR.FrameTiming frameTiming)	Unknown
     	VirtualDesktop.Engine.dll!VirtualDesktop.Engine.Game.OnApplicationIdle(object sender, System.EventArgs e)	Unknown
     	System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(int grfidlef)	Unknown
     	System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(System.IntPtr dwComponentID, int reason, int pvLoopData)	Unknown
     	System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context)	Unknown
     	System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context)	Unknown
     	VirtualDesktop.Engine.dll!VirtualDesktop.Engine.Game.Run()	Unknown
     	Virtual Desktop.exe!VirtualDesktop.MainWindow.GameLoop()	Unknown
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)	Unknown
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx)	Unknown
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state)	Unknown
     	mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()	Unknown

Art3mis
    Not sure how you are setup but you should see your desktop wallpaper on a giant screen at least. Your rift should be extended (and rotated to landscape if it's a DK2). Your monitor should the primary display, not the rift.
  • guygodin wrote:
    Not sure how you are setup but you should see your desktop wallpaper on a giant screen at least. Your rift should be extended (and rotated to landscape if it's a DK2). Your monitor should the primary display, not the rift.

Roger that. With monitor as primary display and DK2 set as landscape(flipped), I just see a black screen on the rift. No wallpaper. With non-flipped landscape, the Health Safety Warning renders upside down (forgot to mention that the HSW does show up). Both have the black background though.

Edit: Worth clarifying that without virtual desktop running, I do usually see my background in non-stereo mode.
    Art3mis
    retsiger wrote:
    guygodin wrote:

Roger that. With monitor as primary display and DK2 set as landscape(flipped), I just see a black screen on the rift. No wallpaper. With non-flipped landscape, the Health Safety Warning renders upside down (forgot to mention that the HSW does show up). Both have the black background though.

Edit: Worth clarifying that without virtual desktop running, I do usually see my background in non-stereo mode.

Have you tried resetting the orientation? Sometimes the OVR Service has the default orientation inverted and the screen is actually behind you. Restarting the OVR Service might also help.
  • I did try resetting the orientation at some point, as well as restarting the ovr service and virtual desktop.

I'm prevented from further testing now though as it's crashing on startup. Neither repairing it nor remove/reinstall have fixed it. Removing the TitleSettings.json under AppData\Roaming\Virtual Desktop and the user.confg under AppData\Local\VirtualDesktop\Virtual_Desktop_exe_xx\1.0.53.0 didn't help either. The user.config gets recreated but TitleSettings.json hasn't. Is there a pertinent registry key or some other metadata that I could remove to get back to a working state?
    Art3mis
    Sent you a PM.
  • QuetzhalQuetzhal Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Thanks for getting that fixed so quickly! Not sure if this helps, but I got that same black screen in Virtual Desktop when I set my monitor to a different resolution. It's 1080p normally, but I dropped it to 720p to overclock it to 75hz. Black screen in Virtual Desktop with a taskbar visible at the far bottom (not actually part of Virtual Desktop; just the actual taskbar from extended mode appearing. This actually happens whenever I restart the rift while VD is running).

That aside, those extra options help a lot, thank you! I'm pretty sure the judder is due to vsync now - it's locking my framerate at 60fps instead of 75fps. Without vsync it runs anywhere from 100-500fps (and still judders, of course, because it's off-sync with the 75hz display).

As an aside, any chance you could add Chromatic Aberration scaling similar to this? Aberration is more evident in text, it'd be interesting to see how scaling might adjust it!
    Art3mis
    Quetzhal wrote:
    As an aside, any chance you could add Chromatic Aberration scaling similar to this? Aberration is more evident in text, it'd be interesting to see how scaling might adjust it!
    I saw that post and will probably add an option for it! :-)
  • eVRydayVReVRydayVR Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Initially when running Virtual Desktop I got the following error message on launch (image attached):
    The invocation of the constructor on type 'VirtualDesktop.Engine.PerformanceStats' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception.

I checked my logs in Event Viewer and saw this:
    (Perflib, Event ID 1008) The Open Procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

I eventually resolved the issue following the steps at this website:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/1b7cb94a-a185-47f7-a677-1376930718a1/on-booting-i-get-the-following-errors-please-help

I had to open a command prompt with "Run as administrator" and type "lodctr /R" (must be capital R). This rebuilt my performance counters which were apparently corrupt. I'm using the software now to write this and it works fine. Just a heads up for anyone else who encounters this.
    -D
    YouTube · Reddit · Twitter · Facebook · Google+ · [email protected] · Skype: eVRydayVR
    Art3mis
    Thanks D for for pinpointing the error. I'll make some tweaks to make sure the error doesn't crash the application and I'll look into putting that command line into the setup. I just added those performance stats yesterday to help folks figure out what's causing the judder (some people get it, others don't).

Let me know if you have any questions about the app and thanks for giving it a try!

Edit: fixed version is up.
  • schnappyschnappy Posts: 13
    Still love this app. If it had some kind of 3D support it would be hands down the best app for the Oculus for me.
  • This works great for the most part!

Couple things:

1. With the latest version, when I hold my left mouse down (to drag a window for example), the mouse cursor moves to the top left of the screen. Also when I press a key on my keyboard, it does the same thing.

2. I would LOVE to see multi monitor support. I have 6 ~40inch TV monitors, so having only 1 monitor in the virtual display is really restrictive.

3. I get pretty bad jutter. With v-sync on it is at 60FPS with ~0% cpu usage. If I turn vsync off, I get 999FPS at 12.5% cpu. Jutter is slightly less.

4. I can see the chromatic abbhoration(sp) at the edges, though its not too distracting.
    Art3mis
    This works great for the most part!
    1. With the latest version, when I hold my left mouse down (to drag a window for example), the mouse cursor moves to the top left of the screen. Also when I press a key on my keyboard, it does the same thing.
    This issue has been there from the beginning, I have a fix in the works for this.
    2. I would LOVE to see multi monitor support. I have 6 ~40inch TV monitors, so having only 1 monitor in the virtual display is really restrictive.
    This is also in the works, I'll finish it once I have a better curved screen implementation :-)
    3. I get pretty bad jutter. With v-sync on it is at 60FPS with ~0% cpu usage. If I turn vsync off, I get 999FPS at 12.5% cpu. Jutter is slightly less.
    This is new with the 0.4.x SDK and will be up to Oculus to fix this. Happens for certain people.
    4. I can see the chromatic abbhoration(sp) at the edges, though its not too distracting.

I've just uploaded a new version which will improve chromatic aberration correction with DK2 (with the flat or floating screen) following krp's suggested fix here. Let me know if it helps!
  • KING5TONKING5TON Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    This might just be me but

DK2 set as main display.
    Monitor set as secondary display.
    When I run Virtual Desktop rather than my main display being displayed it displays my secondary display on the virtual screen.
    Because of this when I open anything it's being displayed on my primary display and I cannot see it (as both the DK2 and the monitor are displaying the same thing, my secondary display).

DK2 set as secondary Display
    Monitor set as main display
    When I run Virtual desktop I can see the main monitor's desktop on the virtual screen which IMO is correct
    When I try running DK2 content via just double clicking them or right click Open on Rift or running from the Virtual desktop list the application opens on my main display rather than the DK2.

Other than the above I think it's a tip top application and I'd use it all the time if it wasn't for the above.
    If I'm doing something wrong please let me know (tried messing about with various settings but could never seem to get it to work perfectly)
    GTX 980 OC to 1497Mhz
    i5-3570K OC to 4.4Ghz
    GA-Z77X-D3H Mobo
    8GB 1600MHz CL9 Ram
    GX750 PSU
    1TB Hard Drive
    120GB + 240GB SSDs
    Windows 8.1
    OR DK2
    Buttkicker gamer 2
  • davidmi58davidmi58 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Wow! This almost works for me running Windows 7 x64. Looks fine in extended mode. Mouse is a little off. (i.e. When you position the mouse just to the right and slightly below the target, it works correctly. However, if I set the DK2 to primary, I get a wierd, mirror-like, black screen on the Rift. I can see the task bar but the rest of the screen looks black with repeated, stereo mirrors of what is left of my desktop.

(screen cap attached)
    Is there some setting I am missing?
    Art3mis
    DK2 should be set as secondary for Virtual Desktop. For the open on oculus rift not working, I would try to move the DK2 to the left of your desktop in windows as some people suggested. Also try to use DirectToRift executables.
  • guygodin wrote:
    This is also in the works, I'll finish it once I have a better curved screen implementation :-)

Would love to see if you could emulate multiple screens. Why have physical ones when you can just create virtual ones and then turn your head to them? Might be a bit much to tackle but I would throw money at this project if you could get it working.

I honestly think this is how all developers will work in the future, virtual workspaces on the rift.
  • Firstly, your demo is one of the first I tried when I got the rift, and I was blown away by the possibilities. Developing a VR desktop/work environment is why I ordered the rift DK2 the day it was announced and your work is a massive step in that direction. Thank you so much for this!

That said, I have an issue to report when using even the latest version of Virtual Desktop -- I experience extreme chromatic aberration, and this effect has not been diminished in the latest update. Red appears much closer to the center of the lens, and blue much further than they respectively should. This effect is much more pronounced than the one in any other demo I've seen, including the default desk demo. This effect happens for me using the A cups on the DK2 and I have an IPD of 68 mm, at every distance configurable on the side dials. I left the other settings on default. The latest update (on the 18th) did not resolve these issues for me.

I hope this information is useful in further developing the software. Thank you so much :D
    Art3mis
    If you mean with the curved screen, that is perfectly normal as I'm not doing any correction. If you have this issue in flat mode though that's not normal as I use SDK rendering and the chromatic aberration correction should be exactly the same as in Tuscany or the Desk/Demo scene.
  • schumichschumich Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks for this software!

When i first fired um a Youtube video i got blown away, i sat there with my mouth open, thanks for that!

Don´t know but when i move the Screen far away and the size really big, it just gets blurry you don´t get the sense of really big scale, i think thats due to the missing of comparable sizes items like a room.
  • NeoTokyoNoriNeoTokyoNori Posts: 6
    edited August 2014
    Hi, this is a great piece of software. Thank you guygodin.
    It opens up a lot of possibilities :idea:

But is it possible to have shortcuts or on screen menu to adjust the screen size and closeness,
    while in V Desktop? Since right now, I have to constantly switch in and out between screens, until I find a
    comfortable setting that works.

That would make it awesome, and very user friendly:!:
  • shanecolbertshanecolbert Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think it would be sweet if this worked with Virtual Machine like software.
    That way, multiple screens could simply be emulated, and rendered to the appropriate VR screens.