New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Release Date??

Steensey_Steensey_ Posts: 1
NerveGear
I know Oculus have announced the release date for November but they should have been more specific as it is the start of November now as I am creating this discussion.

Comments

• KukwesKukwes Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The beta is coming this month but the actual Link cable is coming after. So you will have to buy your own cable. Unless this changes. 
  • Vectorr66Vectorr66 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is quite upsetting how companies leave all release dates to literally the last minute. Letting us know if it was at least the first or last part of the month would have been great.
  • CameraTricksCameraTricks Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Just assume it's the last day of the month. That way you can just live your life and you're more likely to be pleasantly surprised.

If they don't provide an exact date it means they're not sure. There's no value in making something up only to miss it. "November" is still a whole lot better than "when it's ready" which is what many companies do.

Half-Life 3, anyone?
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 823
    3Jane
    My guess is it's going to be a Wednesday. Oculus seems to like Wednesdays.
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Well it looks like 11 is releasing today but there was no mention of Link or Passthrough+ in the release notes. 
  • A10PilotA10Pilot Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    13th strikes again lol 
  • SchromHERESchromHERE Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    I cant find any info on the updates release date...
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,019 Volunteer Moderator
    I cant find any info on the updates release date...
    Because no date has been announced beyond “November.”  They have 17 more days before we can say that Link is late. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    Sheduled 11/2019 . No exact date.

German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,262 Volunteer Moderator
    Kukwes said:
    The beta is coming this month but the actual Link cable is coming after. So you will have to buy your own cable. Unless this changes. 
    This is a good point and worth repeating, hopefully there won't be too many frustrated people saying 'where's the cable?' when Link is introduced.... then again, I predict we'll have 1 or 2 posts!

I'm sure people will be testing out various UCB-C cables so it'll be interesting to see which works for Link. I think I'll hang fire until the Oculus optical cable is with us. Would make a nice little Christmas present to myself.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • AlphaOneZeroAlphaOneZero Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Has there been any minimum spec released for what USB-C Cables we can use?
    edited November 14
    There are several threads discussing this but Oculus have really just stated that 'most high-quality USB-3 cables' should work ok. We're estimating data rates of 150MBps and duplex data flow will be the prerequisites, which I'm sure covers most USB-3 cables out there but I don't think there's been a statement on that.
    Oculus are producing their own cable to provide best in class performance and have a smaller cross sectional area (I think).

Edit: It's worth just reminding people that not all USB-C cables are USB-3, so that may trip one or two people up if they don't check, they'd just get a cable that's basically the same as the one that came with their Quest!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    3Jane
    There are several threads discussing this but Oculus have really just stated that 'most high-quality USB-3 cables' should work ok. We're estimating data rates of 150MBps and duplex data flow will be the prerequisites, which I'm sure covers most USB-3 cables out there but I don't think there's been a statement on that.
    Oculus are producing their own cable to provide best in class performance and have a smaller cross sectional area (I think).

Edit: It's worth just reminding people that not all USB-C cables are USB-3, so that may trip one or two people up if they don't check, they'd just get a cable that's basically the same as the one that came with their Quest!

It's actually 150Mbps (megabits, not megabites).
  • spicoli420spicoli420 Posts: 19
    NerveGear

Wait what? USB C connector with USB 3 (5gbps) ability......correct? USB c on both ends or USB C to standard USB? Why is this cable so confusing? :) Seems like this is indeed being discussed but nobody really knows which one to buy
    edited November 14
    Spuzzum said:

It's actually 150Mbps (megabits, not megabites).
    Correct, bytes would have been a bit of an ask! :-o
    edited November 14

Wait what? USB C connector with USB 3 (5gbps) ability......correct? USB c on both ends or USB C to standard USB? Why is this cable so confusing? :) Seems like this is indeed being discussed but nobody really knows which one to buy
    Well, it's the duplex requirement that, if I understand it correctly, USB 3 is full duplex and USB 2 isn't. If it were just a data rate thing USB 2 may have been ok.

But the bottom line is, there isn't too much confusion as Oculus have said most USB 3 cables will work. It may be the case that all USB 3 cables will work. My point though, was that not all USB C cables are USB 3, so check before buying.
  • robert.dodge.378robert.dodge.378 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I really wish Oculus would just commit to a date instead of saying nothing or "November" There is so much uncertainty and for a company at the forefront of VR more direct responsibility is needed. I had hoped that they would have released the Beta to Coincide with the release of Stormland today but as we can see that was not the case. Also the launch of the game was delayed too due to the initial download missing all of the game files. Come on Oculus please help us out a little. Same with this delayed roll out of firmware please just allow time slots for different countries to download it manually. There I have said I piece. Artful (Rob Dodge - UK)
    edited November 15
    It's a big development in terms of what it will allow to be done. That kind if thing has a lot of testing involved that we're not aware of. Sometimes companies offering this kind of advancement just state what quarter it'll arrive.

We're just half way through the month that this was touted for... let's not get too worked up about this one. I'm certain it'll arrive within the next 2 weeks. I'm also certain it'll work with most USB 3 cables, as was also touted.

If I'm wrong then you can vent you anger at me, within the rules of the forum ;)
    3Jane
    I say next Wednesday. :P
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    When I pre-ordered my Quest I never even expected they’d release anything like the Link for it. They are combining portability of the Quest and high end gaming connected to a PC, I just see it as an unexpected bonus that I’m happy to patiently wait for, they’ll release it as soon as it’s ready! 
    NerveGear
    enigma01 said:
    When I pre-ordered my Quest I never even expected they’d release anything like the Link for it. They are combining portability of the Quest and high end gaming connected to a PC, I just see it as an unexpected bonus that I’m happy to patiently wait for, they’ll release it as soon as it’s ready! 
    I'm having a hard time stomaching your rationality;)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,901 Valuable Player
    I really wish Oculus would just commit to a date instead of saying nothing or "November" 
    At least Oculus said a specific month. I'm waiting for 3 Valve flagships, all I got is a year  :D   
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    At least Oculus said a specific month. I'm waiting for 3 Valve flagships, all I got is a year  :D   
    Same with Microsoft’s new flight sim. All we know is it’s due out next year 😀
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same with Microsoft’s new flight sim. All we know is it’s due out next year 😀
    that will be Christmas then.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,901 Valuable Player
    edited November 16
    Early 2020 seems the new date for the Link cable:

Post image

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dx77u5/oculus_link_cable_not_released_until_early_2020_i/

Who knows, maybe there's a Valve flagship sailing on the 7 seas before Link? ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Spuzzum said:
    It's installed, just waiting to be activated. Probably waiting for the update to finish rolling out, then they'll flip the switch.
    Ooh, I said I'd wait for the Oculus Link cable before trying it out but I can't wait... off to Google USB 3 C cables now!
    NerveGear
    So is the google cables what most are buying? Are people also buying the usb c on both ends and plugging into a designated c port?
  • marittenkatemarittenkate Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Do you think that USB-C to USB-A will work?
    Cuz my pc doesnt have USB-c  :/