New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest Link - as good as a Rift?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,313 Valuable Player
    Some now complain about Quest Link black levels, strange because black levels should theoretically be an argument for using Quest with Oculus Link to get back the deep oled blacks, especially for users of lcd hmds:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dzty4e/link_is_great_but_unfortunately_not_an_upgrade/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • cmaffia2019cmaffia2019 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    No!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,845 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    @RuneSR2 - I was more interested to read what this guy had to say in that Reddit thread (Below). So he has got a 24ft cable connected to his PC? How has he done this and can Oculus Quest been extended even further then 8 meters? If it can I might look at purchasing one because I would like to play PC -VR in my other room and could drill a hole in the wall.

"I sold my CV1 because Oculus Link and Quest looks so much better for me. Plus I have 8m of cable now (3m usb 3, 5m usb 3 extender)"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I was more interested to read what this guy had to say in that Reddit thread (Below). So he has got a 24ft cable connected to his PC? How has he done this and can Oculus Quest been extended even further then 8 meters? If it can I might look at purchasing one because I would like to play PC -VR in my other room and could drill a hole in the wall.

"I sold my CV1 because Oculus Link and Quest looks so much better for me. Plus I have 8m of cable now (3m usb 3, 5m usb 3 extender)"
    Active extension cables. I tested one of my 5m active extensions that I use for my CV1 sensors, along with a 1m A to C cable, and that worked fine. I’m sure I could use a longer passive A to C (up to 3m) and still be good. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    @nalex66 - Can you put a link up to those cables you use please?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    @nalex66 - Can you put a link up to those cables you use please?
    Links are in the post—click on either cable mentioned. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Of course extending HDMI or DisplayPort cables may be a much greater challenge than extending usb cables - and may be a great advantage for Oculus Link. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,174 Valuable Player
    Some reviewers have said it's good but not as good as rift s others said it was marginally better. One reviewer said it was better. I am holding back my final conclusion until the oculus cable is out and the link software is out of beta. I wouldn't be surprised if by then the difference is so close that it's hard to tell the difference but if it's that close the quest may win because of the deeper blacks etc. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,972 Valuable Player
    Lol two pages and still I am none the wiser whether the quest link is as good as the Rift.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Lol two pages and still I am none the wiser whether the quest link is as good as the Rift.
    And you really wont be the wiser until the 2 things I mentioned happens.
    edited November 2019
    inovator said:
    Some reviewers have said it's good but not as good as rift s others said it was marginally better. One reviewer said it was better. I am holding back my final conclusion until the oculus cable is out and the link software is out of beta. I wouldn't be surprised if by then the difference is so close that it's hard to tell the difference but if it's that close the quest may win because of the deeper blacks etc. 
    Agreed, in order to be interesting to me, Quest Link needs to provide a greatly superior image quality compared to CV1 ss 2.0. I love my CV1 sensors and the sound quality, so Quest Link needs really to impress, using the beta I've yet to read about a massive difference, and many may not even use (high levels of) CV1 ss. 

And I do care a lot about ss, to me the difference between CV1 ss 1.0 and 2.0 feels like increasing the native res like 2 or 3 times. Never underestimate the power of ss ;)

As usual we need to buy the stuff to get reliable answers, lol. 
    Just need one dude using 3 sensor CV1 ss 2 0 to play Stormland and compare to Quest Link. Also regarding tracking and sound. 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,905 Valuable Player
    Just saw something that reminded me of the Oculus Quest Link experience!  B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Saw that one on Reddit too, it's awesome!

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,241 Valuable Player
    Did it catch on the bike rack or did they just drive off with it in the tank?
    edited November 2019
    A comparison - but it's basically completely worthless when not describing the ss levels used - so this is Rift-S ss 1.0 vs. Quest? - And Rift-S would have looked 2-3 times better using ss 2.0?  

I can feel my blood pressure rising, sigh...

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 713
    Trinity
    RuneSR2 said:
    A comparison - but it's basically completely worthless when not describing the ss levels used - so this is Rift-S ss 1.0 vs. Quest? - And Rift-S would have looked 2-3 times better using ss 2.0?  

I can feel my blood pressure rising, sigh...

i c no difference 99 percent of the time, the two face comparisons for a few seconds the bottom one seemed better.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,993 Valuable Player
    You'll never be able to truly tell by images on a monitor.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 320
    Trinity
    If you have USB3.1 ports, possible improvements could be coming to Link in a few months time

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Just played about an hour with Link, and not sure how it compares to Rift-S, but it's a definite upgrade to the Rift CV1. I was expecting to see blurry edges due to the foveated rendering, but I didn't see any. It was just completely smooth. Even the movements...completely smooth and lag free. I'm quite impressed.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,680
    Project 2501
    Spuzzum said:
    Just played about an hour with Link, and not sure how it compares to Rift-S, but it's a definite upgrade to the Rift CV1. I was expecting to see blurry edges due to the foveated rendering, but I didn't see any. It was just completely smooth. Even the movements...completely smooth and lag free. I'm quite impressed.
    Sorry but I find that kinda hard to believe mate.  If you have a good enough cpu/gpu and can use 2.0 SS the cv1 is still, as Vader would say, Most Impressive!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

3Jane
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Spuzzum said:
    Sorry but I find that kinda hard to believe mate.  If you have a good enough cpu/gpu and can use 2.0 SS the cv1 is still, as Vader would say, Most Impressive!

lol...so you're saying I'm lying? Whatever dude. I have a 1080Ti, and the Quest with the Link looks far better than the Rift CV1...mostly because there's less screen door effect, as well as being able to wear my glasses in it. It also has a bigger resolution. To me, it looks better then the CV1. There's nothing to argue about.
    Spuzzum said:
    You could be right how good it is. When the native link from oculus is out it may give you the optimal experience. I dont think the difference will be great enough for most to buy both the quest and link. Portability and pc quality in one. But  a vr enthusiast like me will want the extra comfort and even a small visual improvement. So I'm glad I own both. I'll try the link as well when oculus puts it on sale. That being said. No doubt in my mind that quest 2 will also be rift 2. 

Spuzzum said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Spuzzum said:

lol...so you're saying I'm lying? Whatever dude. I have a 1080Ti, and the Quest with the Link looks far better than the Rift CV1...mostly because there's less screen door effect, as well as being able to wear my glasses in it. It also has a bigger resolution. To me, it looks better then the CV1. There's nothing to argue about.
    Lol Dont let that guy bother you. He got suckered into buying the cosmos and still cant admit that it's a 700 dollar monstrosity bomb. I heard at least 1 or 2 reviewers say that to them it looked better than the rift s. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,680
    Project 2501
    Spuzzum said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Spuzzum said:

No, I don't mean that at all mate.  Just expressing my surprise that you've come to this conclusion.  Also, I wear glasses with my cv1, no problem (fairly small/thin ~145x40mm).  Plus with 1.5-2.0 SS using OTT I don't notice any significant screen door effect or god rays.

I fully agree with you mate, there is nothing to argue about here.  Just a couple of guys seeing things differently on an open forum imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

3Jane
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Spuzzum said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Spuzzum said:

No, I don't mean that at all mate.  Just expressing my surprise that you've come to this conclusion.  Also, I wear glasses with my cv1, no problem (fairly small/thin ~145x40mm).  Plus with 1.5-2.0 SS using OTT I don't notice any significant screen door effect or god rays.

I fully agree with you mate, there is nothing to argue about here.  Just a couple of guys seeing things differently on an open forum imho.

Being able to wear glasses is a bonus...it's the reduced screen door effect and larger resolution that makes it better. There's no amount of supersampling that will reduce the sde, only jagged edges and artifacts.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
     Yes indeed it is much better than my CV1 and Vive. There are some freezing issues but mostly amazed at how much better most things look. My 3 Oculus sensors are coming down. I'm going to lend my CV1 to someone I work with over the holidays. Now that I've seen what PC VR looks like in the Quest, I won't be going back to the CV1 resolution for a long while. For a feature that was not part of the original bargain. I am delighted. Thanks Oculus! 
     There are bugs to work out with the audio routing but I think the Oculus link is a definite game changer and the Quest has become a PCVR contender in the 1.5 generation. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor. UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
    3Jane
    edited November 2019
    I guess I was lucky with the audio...worked out of the box for me. I'm still leaving my 4 sensors up though...I'm still hoping they'll let us use them with the Quest while tethered, as Nate Mitchel said it's still the same Constellation tracking, and that it is functionally possible, but said they'd let the public decide. At least for the Rift-S. That was before they came out with Link for the Quest. They're still selling the external sensors, even though they stopped selling the CV1 nearly 9 months ago.
    edited November 2019
    I would really like to get an Oculus Quest, but it''s the comfort that is putting me off it. I can spend hours in the CV1, but I tried a friends Oculus Quest and couldn't last 15 mins without it becoming really uncomfortable. It's a shame Oculus Quest didn't use the Halo like with the Rift S, I think a front heavy headset needs something like a Halo design if you are not going to spread out the weight.

I know some people are using a counter weight at the back of the headset, but all that does is make the headset even heavier to wear overall. Oculus should have come up with something themselves, like placing the battery in the front of the headset at the back of the headset etc.

Yes I know you can mod the Oculus Quest, but after purchasing the HTC headband and PV Cover from VR Cover the cost rises. I don't mind paying that bit more if Oculus had just made the Oculus Quest comfortable to start with, but I'm not going to mess around modding a brand new headset just to make is comfortable.

I know some people talk about light leakage with Halo designs, but I'd prefer a bit light leakage then only being able  to last 15 mins in the Quest sue to comfort. I know that the HP Reverb uses a peace of rubber on the nose to block out light, and I'm positive that this would work on the Halo design if manufacturers included this with their Halo designed VR headsets. I'm just surprised that only the HP Reverb uses this rubber thing tbh.
    3Jane
    VR Cover has their own design for the headstrap. Not an actual strap like the DAS, but padding designed for the Quest's native strap. $20. It should do the same as the DAS for taking the weight off the face, putting it to the crown instead. Yes, it sucks to have to pay extra to make it comfortable, but when you buy a car...do you buy extras to make it more personalized and comfortable, such as seat covers, floor mats, or even a better stereo system? You can buy the Quest and leave as is, or you can spend a bit extra and make it better.

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-head-strap-foam-pad/