New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Big performance difference between Quests?

WeltenmacherWeltenmacher Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hey,
we have two Oculus Quests which have both the same firmware, still, the performance is dramaticly different. In renderDoc (multiple times tested) the #1 has an average framtime of 25ms... #2 has 43ms...
We also tested it with the Unreal Profiler which came to this result:
#1: Ave FPS: 68.81 | Min FPS: 37.93
#2: Ave FPS: 65.55 | Min FPS: 23.04

...We tested both Quests with full battery and when they were "still cold".
Does anybody has the same problem or maybe an explanation/solution for it?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    edited November 5
    Hey,
    we have two Oculus Quests which have both the same firmware, still, the performance is dramaticly different. In renderDoc (multiple times tested) the #1 has an average framtime of 25ms... #2 has 43ms...

It's basically 66 fps vs. 69 fps (less than 5% diff), min fps don't really count and may be caused by some infrequent disturbance. Try to run the test 10 times on each hmd and calculate average fps for each hmd. Do you still see a difference?
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • WeltenmacherWeltenmacher Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hey,

It's basically 66 fps vs. 69 fps (less than 5% diff), min fps don't really count and may be caused by some rare disturbance. Try to run the test 10 times on each hmd and calculate average fps for each hmd. Do you still see a difference?
    All those datas are multiple times tested and like you said, 5% diff is not that much, but I am more concerned about the datas I'm getting from RenderDoc and Snapdragon Profiler...with at least 10 times testing I get an average difference of 17.25ms
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    Can you see the specs - are both gpus using exact same speed, and the ram etc? I haven't seen described if new Quest revisions have emerged. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,535 Valuable Player
    edited November 5
    My only thought is that there is a difference either from an application stand point or data difference. If we are talking about a 5% difference though - that might just be the luck of the draw more than anything. No different than a intel CPU overclocking a bit higher than the chip next to it. It's possible one of the headsets might be getting the same numbers but frame stuttering - in that case - it sounds like a bad chip possibility and would recommend returning the product and explain what you are seeing then. Short of that - it be hard to say what the problem is without knowing all the variables. 

Also, if those frame times were correct- I have a feeling you would see LOWER frame rate than avg. This seems more like your lows than it is your avg frame time.