New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Changing jobs

julius.alamarvdashtijulius.alamarvdashti Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi everyone ! 

Since I bought Oculus quest I was hooked and I have decided that I want to change my career and start working with it. But I was wondering, what kind of skills do I need ? how many companies are there out there and do they need more people ? I tried googling companies but I usually just get news articles or games. (or Im just bad at googling). I went to a seminar today about coding looks like fun. 

So what is my question. 
1. What do I need to learn in order to work with software development for VR
2. Are there any jobs available in 2 years?
3. Can I make a decent wage? 
4. I am currently working as a sales manager and I earn about 3000 USD a month before taxes. What should I expect wage wize? should I start getting used to earning less? 

I appreciate any feedback as this is for me atleast a huge leap to take now in the midpoint of my life. 

With Kind Regards
Julius

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,207
    Wintermute
    1. How to do software and programming and stuff.

2. It's possible that this new fangle I.T. thing could be still around in 2 years (best to back yourself with a real trade though, like plumbing)

3. It's rumoured that the likes of Bill Gates, John Carmack and Mark Zuckerberg have all earned more than $3000/month. (and I mean "each" not combined)

4. You'll earn less to start with but, after that, your effort and ability will determine your income.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,621 Volunteer Moderator
    Grab Unity (personal edition is free) or Unreal (free). Both make VR development very easy. Well, very easy to put an environment in VR, harder to make cool stuff happen like physics interactions and stuff.
    You should be able to find tutorials on the basic setup stuff.
    My students go from "What is VR?" to releasing a project on 3 headsets (Go, Quest and Rift) in 4 weeks. Although they already have about 1.5 years of Unity game dev experience by that point.

No idea on jobs/money.
  • julius.alamarvdashtijulius.alamarvdashti Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    Grab Unity (personal edition is free) or Unreal (free). Both make VR development very easy. Well, very easy to put an environment in VR, harder to make cool stuff happen like physics interactions and stuff.
    You should be able to find tutorials on the basic setup stuff.
    My students go from "What is VR?" to releasing a project on 3 headsets (Go, Quest and Rift) in 4 weeks. Although they already have about 1.5 years of Unity game dev experience by that point.

No idea on jobs/money.
    Thanks for the help, im gonna check those out, do you need to know c#, java and the traditional stuff like that? or is it completely different ? 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,621 Volunteer Moderator
    If you go with Unity, you need to understand C#. There's not much you can do without writing code. (You can make a simple VR scene, but anything like interaction or movement needs programming)

Unreal has two ways of working: Blueprint or C++. Blueprint is a visual graph based programming system that some people find much easier than writing code (not me though, I hate it). C++ in Unreal is much harder than C# in Unity.

I'd say Unity has better documentation and more help available, but it's been a while since I tried Unreal (last time I did the documentation was severely lacking).