New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gear VR worth it in 2019?

heeryberyheerybery Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello everyone,,
I think GearVR is still a great value. There are over 1,000 apps for it. It's great if you're a sports fan, movie fan, or you're interested in VR games.

Comments

• SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    Why at why are you posting this on the Quest forum? Also your subject/title is asking a question, but really you just wanted to post your opinion.

i suspect you are about to post some spam/movie links?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,918 Volunteer Moderator
    Moved.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    heerybery said:
    Hello everyone,,
    I think GearVR is still a great value. There are over 1,000 apps for it. It's great if you're a sports fan, movie fan, or you're interested in VR games.

No, buy a Quest instead.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 188
    Art3mis
      Gear VR was a nice introduction to what was possible with mobile VR a few years back when consumer PC VR was first launched. By today's standards I'd say only a fraction of what mobile VR is now with the Quest. Even 3D movies are so much better on the Quest. I encode my 3D blue-rays down to MKV so I can play stream them on my network to my 3D projector and Quest. I can copy the files to my Quest and they look much better than my Vive and CV1. Almost as good as watching them on my projector, when I stream them with Virtual desktop from my PC using Cyberlink power DVD, it's just so much better. the only VR device I have that compares to my DLP for movies, is my Quest. 

Also the marriage between Samsung and Oculus seems to have ended badly when Oculus went whoring around. I been seeing posts about folks updating their Samsung phones to find their gear VR no longer recognized  by their phone.If it's not the end of the road for gear VR, it's a dead end for sure. It's only worth it if it's free now IMO and not worth investing in any apps at this point. Obsolete IMO