New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I'm new ...oculus quest with Oculus Link Headset Cable VS oculus rift s

Dany.ChryDany.Chry Posts: 5
NerveGear
hello everyone, in December I'd like to buy Oculus but I'm really confused about oculus quest with Oculus Link Headset Cable  VS oculus rift s .
I have a gamer pc.
a question if I'll buy oculus quest with Oculus Link Headset Cable this will be better ,as as technical specifications ,  of oculus rift s ? which is the difference at this point?
let me know 
Daniela

Comments

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 470
    Trinity
    edited November 9
    Hey there,
    Good question. That's what everyone is wondering but no one has the answer since Oculus Link has not been released yet xD.

By default, I'd say the Rift S would be better as it's a "native" PC VR headset. Oculus Link is a streaming device, meaning it will have all the streaming issues (namely latency and compression). For now, Oculus and the first testers claim there's none of those issues. I don't trust any of them on this point.

In terms of specs, honestly, you shouldn't care: you should just try one out and see if it's alright for you. But since you asked, here are the major differences between those two:

- Comfort: Oculus Rift S is, theoretically, more comfortable because it's less heavy and has a halo strap (which are great if they're well done).

- Screens: The Quest has a higher resolution and better colors. The Rift-S has less screendoor effect, but is LCD so the colors are "washed out". For example; blacks aren't true black, they're a bit grey.

- Tracking: the Rift-S has more cameras than the Quest for the tracking, so in theory it should have better tracking.

- Framerate: the Rift-S runs at 80 Hz, the Quest runs at 72 Hz. That means the Rift-S is smoother, but the difference is so little, most people who claim they feel it just lie.

For the rest, they're basically the same (same controllers, same audio, same software, same price).
    For now, I really advise you stick to the Rift-S, at least it's native. Oculus Link is "experimental", in the sense that it's a brand new technique that hasn't proven itself yet.

Now bear in mind that I don't own any of these headsets yet. It's just my understanding of the situation. Personally, I do intend to buy Oculus Quest with Link, but only because I want standalone VR and also because I can't plug the Rift-S on my laptop xD.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator
    To be technical, the Quest has (per eye) 2,304,000‬ green subpixels and 1,152,000 red and blue subpixels (it's pentile oled, so red and blue are half the resolution). The Rift-S has 1,843,200 each of red, green and blue (it's rgb striped lcd).

I've got both the Quest and Rift-S. While I like the black levels of the Quest, I have no intention of replacing the Rift-S with the quest link. I'll try it, but I don't like the Quest comfort. I can't imagine playing hours of Elite or Euro Truck Sim 2 on it.

On the other hand, the Quest head strap is more compatible with large headphones and you can sit back or lie down with it, while the Rift-S thick halo strap with adjustment knob sticking out the back would make that hard. So I guess the Quest would be better for sitting back in a recliner and watching a movie.

If your IPD is far from the fixed 64mm of the Rift-S, then you'll probably like the Quest's hardware IPD more.

Actually I prefer the CV1 to both of them. :)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 585
    Neo
    ^^The reason i returned the Quest is just that, my two vr goto games being ED and Euro II and American truck sim, and the quest was just painfully uncomfortable on my face after about 20 mins, whereas the CV1 is still the daddy for utter comfort, with the vive coming second, and even with the deluxe strap the vive cannot beat the CV1, that thing is just a joy to wear for any length of time, like placing a VR feather on your face compared to the Quest which when you first put it on after enjoying the CV1 was like getting smashed in th face with a brick weight and comfort wise. lol
  • Dany.ChryDany.Chry Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited November 10
    thanks for all of you for the reply ! I think I'll going to buy oculus rift s , but I'd like to buy a game that actually there is not in the list of the rift " National Geographic Explore VR "  .... seems that is only for quest...do you know if I can use it on rift ?

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 470
    Trinity
    Okay, so now the Link is released (it didn't take too long xD). It's still Beta, but people can already try it out, so you should be able to find Youtubers or reddit users talk about their experience with Link!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • miyam0t0miyam0t0 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Does anybody know if Oculus Link can be used on macOS for Unity development?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator
    miyam0t0 said:
    Does anybody know if Oculus Link can be used on macOS for Unity development?
    Quest Link lets the Quest work with the normal Oculus PC software, which is Windows only.