cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you joking?

vonarlin
Honored Guest
So, I'm just going to cut to the chase because I'm frustrated and this is ridiculous.

I'm a fairly new VR user and have been primarily playing games on Steam. I was having some performance issues so someone in the Synthriders community recommended I try using --vrmode oculus to prevent SteamVR from opening. I tried this and was pleased to see that my performance improved, but my graphics settings were much higher than they had been under SteamVR and as I want to potentially stream or record myself playing this game, I went into the Oculus Home settings to change the "resolution".

Where I was greeted with "Prioritize Performance" or "Prioritize Graphics". Is it 2005? Am I having a stroke? It is outrageous to me that buying a device that by all metrics I can see is targetted specifically at PC power users, in 2019, has no specific graphics settings whatsoever. I catered my setup to only buy the pieces and parts that I needed to run VR so that I didn't have to invest a ton of money in a new gaming PC for something I would never use, assuming that I would have control over my graphics settings like games on every single platform have allowed you to for literally decades, and I would appreciate the ability to directly control how my setup operates.

What is my motivation to upgrade my PC to get super rad graphics settings when all it lets me do is tick a different bubble? What PC user wants that? Rather just jump ship from Oculus completely if my options are "run --vrmode oculus/buy things on oculus store with no graphics settings" or "eat all my PC's spare processing power by being forced to run Oculus Home and SteamVR simultaneously". I shouldn't have to run a third party app to get graphics settings on a $500 gaming peripheral.
12 REPLIES 12

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
On the time it took you rant you could have googled Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) and been using this.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus have left it up to developers to adjust in depth settings in their games.

If you're having performance issues then download OpenComposite. The problem isn't caused by Oculus, it's caused by Valve and SteamVR. OpenComposite takes SteamVR out of the equation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where I was greeted with "Prioritize Performance" or "Prioritize Graphics".

Believe that applies to Oculus Home, certainly does not apply to games as they typically have their own graphics settings.

Netheri
Rising Star

snowdog said:

Oculus have left it up to developers to adjust in depth settings in their games.

If you're having performance issues then download OpenComposite. The problem isn't caused by Oculus, it's caused by Valve and SteamVR. OpenComposite takes SteamVR out of the equation.

Yes it does. However it also brings some problems along, at least in some streamvr software (try i.e. YoutubeVR with opencomposite). 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

vonarlin
Honored Guest

dburne said:

Believe that applies to Oculus Home, certainly does not apply to games as they typically have their own graphics settings.

That's just frustrating to me when SteamVR has a resolution slider that will apply to all games. Most games have some settings you can change piecemeal but things like resolution are controlled by the base app you're using.

snowdog said:

1) OpenComposite crashes to desktop every single time I try to use it

2) I am already not running SteamVR by using --vrmode oculus, which I state in the post, so it is most definitely caused by Oculus.

TomCgcmfc said:

On the time it took you rant you could have googled Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) and been using this.

Oh, a third party app that hasn't been updated in over a year (which is why I didn't find it btw, the last update I could find was in 8/20 of last year even searching by name). Let's look at my last paragraph:

"I shouldn't have to run a third party app to get graphics settings on a $500 gaming peripheral."

If I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a gaming peripheral I shouldn't have to install a bunch of third party stuff to get it to work the way I want, especially when literally all I want is some resolution sliders so I can have more control over my VR experience. I don't know why this is such a leap.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like Rift perhaps is not for you... especially as it seems you just want to vent.
Good luck. Maybe have a look at a WMR device.

I have great luck with Open Composite thankfully as I despise Steam VR. And the majority of games I run have their own settings including SS. For those that don't have SS, I use Oculus Tray Tool which a volunteer provides free of charge for anyone that would like to use it, and does keep it updated fairly regularly. He puts a lot of time into that for very little appreciation I am sure!

Best of luck with your next headset. 

vonarlin
Honored Guest
What a helpful thing to say. 

As I said, I already don't run SteamVR. I have tried to use Oculus Tray Tools but the only version I could find was .86 and I even found the dev's reddit account to try and track down something more recent and was unsuccessful. His most recent post was 6 months ago. 

It also doesn't fix the myriad of other problems I'm having, specifically with trying to run games in -vrmode oculus, which as I explained, is already not running SteamVR. It is definitely Oculus that is giving me issues - I have managed to get decent performance once I realized that running a Steam game from inside the Oculus Home library boots SteamVR regardless of your launch options on Steam - but now my Oculus height settings seem to randomly set me as 7ft tall and the only height reset button referenced online doesn't exist anymore on the Oculus app and OTT doesn't appear to have a "floor fix" option.

I would be more than happy to utilize a tool offered that was actually helpful, but so far it has been no links to anything and a lot of condescension. I am simply trying to utilize a headset that I paid a lot of money for, and I feel like the Oculus app specifically is designed to give me as little control over my direct experience as possible in favor of an "idiot proof" end user experience.

You're free to dislike SteamVR all you want, but they utilize OpenSDK which not only allows me to fine-tune my settings inside the Steam dashboard itself but also, if I really want, to install a 3rd party suite of software that seamlessly upgrades the existing dashboard with helpful additional features at minimal processing power. Except I'm forced to run the Oculus Home app at all times I am using my Oculus headset, making any benefit gained from using SteamVR almost immediately lost by having to run two VR apps simultaneously.

I'd be happy to utilize Oculus' app. It's literally what I'm trying to do. But so far I have not yet found an option that lets me do that that provides half of the useability of other options, and I'm sorry if that makes me come across as upset but not really - because I'm upset. I have to launch games from the virtual desktop inside Oculus to get the correct functionally purely because I chose to purchase games on Steam, a library I have used for years and years. I picked Oculus because it had a better price point and I liked the idea of inside-out, but I guess I should've done more research before buying VR games. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Never heard of -VRMode.
No idea what you are doing there.

ApollyonVR's last post on OTT was on Nov 7th, not quite 6 months ago now is it? 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/713532/#Comment_713532
He is quite active in the OTT thread.

Perhaps if you dropped some of the attitude and provided better detail some might be able to help you.
Even the title of your thread gives an idea of how the thread tone is going to be.

As I said, good luck.

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer

vonarlin said:
Rather just jump ship from Oculus completely if my options are "run --vrmode oculus/buy things on oculus store with no graphics settings" or "eat all my PC's spare processing power by being forced to run Oculus Home and SteamVR simultaneously". I shouldn't have to run a third party app to get graphics settings on a $500 gaming peripheral.

It is no surprise that people do not want to help you when your original post does not ask for help at any point and already states your preferred solution.

If you really don't want to use the excellent Oculus Tray Tool and would rather "jump ship" then consider buying the Valve Index. It is designed for SteamVR and by all accounts it is a superb headset. If you can't afford that then the Vive Cosmos might appeal to you, it also uses SteamVR.

For what it's worth, a resolution slider that applies to all games is not a good solution
because different games have different performance demands. It is better to use the
in-game settings or if they are not provided by the developer then use
the Oculus Tray Tool which allows you to set super-sampling
differently for each game.