New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Cable Thread

Tummie555Tummie555 Posts: 38
Brain Burst
Please post a link to any currently available AND confirmed working USB-cable. Preferably a shop-link. 

Oculus Link Headset Cable Specs
Length

5-Meter Headset Cable

Outer Diameter

4.6mm

Type

Full featured USB active optical cable. USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C

Connectors

Headset: Right Angle USB Type-C
PC: Straight Type-C

Cable Exterior

TPU 0.5mm thickness, optimized for low friction, durability and flexibility

Shielding

High quality spiral shielding doubling as grounding

Cable Bend Radius

20mm

Signal Requirements

USB 3.2 Gen 1 Signaling 5 Gbps USB 2
Backwards Compatible

Infrared Signal Loss Tolerances

<500mV VBUS @ 3000mA; <250mV GND @ 3000mA

Power Supply

3A

Bandwidth

5 Gbps

Electrical Identification

eMarker

Additional Features

Support for SuperSpeed USB ports

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,690 Volunteer Moderator
    I just tested the 4m long cable that comes with the Zed Mini augmented reality camera.
    No sound or vibration, but that may be the beta. The video is perfect.
    But I wouldn't recommend buying a $449 stereo camera just for a cable. :)
    https://www.stereolabs.com/zed-mini/

• vargabloodvargablood Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    this is the 2m usb-c <-> usb-c cable iam using. Video is working, sound is working. 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JK4F95B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Tummie555Tummie555 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited November 20
    This is the cable Oculus recommends in their blog, but it's only 3ft (90cm long..) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZIPYPY/

Source: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,027 Volunteer Moderator
    It looks like that link got messed up. It should be referring to the 10' version. (The Canada link still does.) It may be an Amazon.com problem, because the 10' version isn't listed there at all. (Maybe it was pulled because it's sold out?)
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • bazdonbazdon Posts: 2
    NerveGear

Anker PowerLine+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable (6ft/1.8m)

Works fine.
  • DraidenDraiden Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Somebody with any idea for cable xtension?
    I´ve bought the Anker Cable and it works fine for me, but the tested cable extension (

CSL-Computer 5m USB 3.0 Repeater Verlängerungskabel Extension Cable aktiv mit Signalverstärkung - Signalverstärker Repeater - Super Speed Verlängerung - schwarz in German Amazon Store) 

doesn´t work. Any idea?
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 823
    3Jane
    nalex66 said:
    It looks like that link got messed up. It should be referring to the 10' version. (The Canada link still does.) It may be an Amazon.com problem, because the 10' version isn't listed there at all. (Maybe it was pulled because it's sold out?)

That's the one I just ordered from Amazon CA. I had it in my cart since Monday, but didn't get paid until today. Yesterday it said they were out of stock until the 24th, Sunday, but when I went to finish my order today, they're now back in stock, and my shipment's expected Saturday.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    I have had the recommended 10ft cable on order from Amazon, now it is showing expected Nov 23rd.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    JOTO USB Type C Cable Extra Long 10ft, USB-C 3.1 Type-C to USB 3.0 Type A Charging Data Cable. Works great, Amazon shows same day available in MD.
    gregor616 said:
    JOTO USB Type C Cable Extra Long 10ft, USB-C 3.1 Type-C to USB 3.0 Type A Charging Data Cable. Works great, Amazon shows same day available in MD.
    Thanks for that , just ordered and will have tomorrow.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,027 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 21
    I successfully used a 5m/16’ USB 3.0 active extension cable  along with the 1m/3’ version of the recommended Anker A to C cable last night. I was also able to use that Anker cable with a passive 2m extension cable.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • chris.orrischris.orris Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 21
    kojack said:
    I just tested the 4m long cable that comes with the Zed Mini augmented reality camera.

You can buy a $29 "VR kit" from Stereolabs that includes their 4m cable.
    It's a bit hidden on the site and I can't post direct links here yet. But go to their Store page (by clicking the Order Now button) then in the URL, delete everything after "products". Then click All Products -> VR Kit. 
  • karlos103karlos103 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    gregor616 said:

So all works great , no issues at all with video or sounds as about to buy one if it works lol
    cheers
    Brain Burst
    karlos103 said:
    gregor616 said:

So all works great , no issues at all with video or sounds as about to buy one if it works lol
    cheers
    It was working great for the two hours I was able to play yesterday, I plan to play some more when I get home from work today. If I have issues I will let you know. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,690 Volunteer Moderator

kojack said:

You can buy a $29 "VR kit" from Stereolabs that includes their 4m cable.
    It's a bit hidden on the site and I can't post direct links here yet. But go to their Store page (by clicking the Order Now button) then in the URL, delete everything after "products". Then click All Products -> VR Kit. 
    Cool. Yeah, that's a bit hidden. :)
    (We just started a new anti spam system recently that stops new users posting links for a little bit)

Brain Burst
    @karlos103&nbsp; I tested it when I got home and it is still working great (Sound and Video) I played Vader III for 20 min and tested out Steam VR which also works better than Virtual Desktop Wireless. 

I also tested the Cable Matters Active USB Extension Cable Male to Female (USB 3.0 Extension Cable) with Power, not included on Amazon, and it works as well giving me 26 feet which is larger than the room I am in. When I tried without power adapter it would now work with the extension. 

3Jane
    Woke up to an email from Amazon...cable's shipped, will be here tomorrow. Good thing I checked my email...I was expecting it on Saturday. :)
  • gemergemer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After setting up oculus link today for my quest, all the navigate functions (home, library, store and almost everything else are no longer appearing. The link app on the PC says it is ready. When selecting an app from the PC library the PC screen is black and nothing in the quest. I really hate to do another factory reset.
    Many restarts, no help.
    Unplug the link, no help.
    Any Ideas?
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
      I can confirm the Joto cable works very well here too, thanks for posting it. Just wow so far. ...
  • lekszanderlekszander Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, I'm currently using the recommended Anker cable but it seems like my Quest is discharging faster than it can charge when I'm playing games. I tried blue ports (usb 3.0) both at the back of my PC and the front panel ones but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any idea why?
    3Jane
    Hi, I'm currently using the recommended Anker cable but it seems like my Quest is discharging faster than it can charge when I'm playing games. I tried blue ports (usb 3.0) both at the back of my PC and the front panel ones but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Any idea why?

It might be the USB port isn't supplying enough amperage, or it might be similar to my experience using a battery pack, where I found the Quest needs to be fully charged, or at least 95% or higher, before connecting the battery. That's the only way I get my Quest to drain the battery pack faster than the Quest itself. Not sure if it's the same thing you're facing, but try charging the Quest fully before connecting the Link.
  • EispfogelEispfogel Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Everything is working fine...most of the time, but... How on earth do you recenter?
    My playspace is in the wrong orientation and i am taller. Some people recommended to just unplug the cable - wait - and reconnect it, but then 9 out of 10 times nothing works anymore(display issues, not able to reconnect, games start but in the headset i have 3 loading dots and so on) and i have to restart everything.

Am i missing something, or is this really not implemented yet?
    3Jane
    Well, cable showed up, and Quest is recognized by my pc, but I'm stuck in the 'accept Link connection' loop in the Quest. I'll have to play with it later.
    Your better than me. After waiting all day for my cable to get here, I had no luck at all. Then realized my Quest was on an older version - 8 - of the software, and it needs to be on 11. So now I have it plugged in, in standby mode, sitting on my desk waiting for it to decide to update to version 11.

Guess it will be tomorrow for me before get to try it out.
    Don

• yinyangvladyinyangvlad Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    yesterday i used a hama cable 1.8m usb c to usb a 3.1, with an hama extension 3m usb a 3.0 and it worked just fine. Today it only works without the extension...i was so happy yesterday, now i have to look for another solution, because 1.8 m is too short...
    I received the Tojo 10 ft cable, and so far my experience is very iffy.
    Waiting on the Anker cable now, which has been on backorder. Says expected 25th-27th.
    I am about wore out trying to get this thing to work consistently.
    Don

• Tummie555Tummie555 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Thank you for sharing everyone, this is hugely helpfull for anyone here on the forum. 

p.s. Is anyone aware of a "possible release date" for the Oculus Original Link Cable?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,283 Volunteer Moderator
    @Tummie555 mind if I make this thread a temporary sticky? it seems to be the Link cable thread that people are using the most now and it would avoid useful recommendations and problems being spread across several threads.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Just to update from my previous post, I did get the Tojo 10ft cable working just fine. Can't say exactly how I did this as I kept trying different things, but working good now. I do know Quest with Link is power hungry on the USB 3, some of my ports it would not work on. I have it working on my front panel USB 3.1 port that has nothing else plugged into it's hub.
    Don

• technotictechnotic Posts: 4 Oculus Start Member
    here is a cheap $5.99 USD cable I found on Amazon that I decided to try. it's 8ft long, claims to provide USB 3.1 gen 2 speeds of 10gb/s. While I haven't tested the validity of that claim, I can confirm it works great with Link (very surprised by this considering price). here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Braided-USB-3-1-Cable/dp/B07621ZYX9

hope this helps the budget conscious get access to Link, or those waiting for the official cable and want a cheap temporary cable until then. I also have the Joto 10ft cable from Amazon, which works just fine too, but the cost is triple that of this cable.