New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

3 dots then black screen with Oculus Quest Link

brownsea2989brownsea2989 Posts: 10
NerveGear
edited November 18 in Oculus Quest
Using a cable confirmed working by others (Amazon Basics USB 3 3M) and GTX 1650, 16Gb, Ryzen 5 3550H based laptop I'm having problems launching Quest Link! Headset is recognised and passes text in Oculus Desktop software and prompt appears in headset. When I launch in the headset I get a black screen with 3 moving dots. Shortly afterwards, just a black screen with the Guardian circle on the floor.

Anyone else had this?

Comments

• BibolatBibolat Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yeah i have the same issue! I got a 1080TI and usb 3.0 ports using a 3.1 Gen1 USB c cable and i still get the same results
  • TimmiBTimmiB Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue but I had blamed it on my old hardware.
    (Surface Book with 940M GPU using the USB A to C cable that came with the Google Pixel.)

I thought it might have been because I wasn't in roomscale mode but I was unable to test.
  • vargabloodvargablood Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    Geforce 9xx Series is not in supported list of GPUS now for oculus link
  • brownsea2989brownsea2989 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I'd agree that a 940m is pushing it but my machine meets all the specs (GTX16x video card). 
  • zeletezelete Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Might not be the answer but, I had something similar once but it turned out my head was stuck in some game object because my VR height wasn't set properly.
  • trek554trek554 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 20
    TimmiB said:
    I have the same issue but I had blamed it on my old hardware.
    (Surface Book with 940M GPU using the USB A to C cable that came with the Google Pixel.)

I thought it might have been because I wasn't in roomscale mode but I was unable to test.
    is this a joke? why on earth would you even waste your time trying to run it on that garbage 940m? do you really not understand that you are not even remotely close to meeting minimum requirements for VR? the minimum gpu for using Link is a gtx 1060 which is literally nearly TEN times as powerful as the 940m. heck you dont even meet minimum requirements for most regular pc games made in the last 5 to 6 years. even Intel integrated graphics have surpassed the 940m.
    Win 10 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD | Cooler Master CM500 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 watt | Sound Blaster Zx
  • warlockukwarlockuk Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Same issue; RTX2070, but only a 2600K i7.  Just a black screen with the ring of the floor seated area.
  • retrovision.frretrovision.fr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, i7-8700k & GTX1070. It works on my Razer Blade 15 though (i7-8750h + gtx1060). Super weird 
  • PaulyD917PaulyD917 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I’m having the exact same issue as well, tried opening a game on the pc while the quest was still connected and the headset was tracking on the pc but in the headset was still a black screen with no audio.
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I had the same issue yesterday and after several restarts of both the headset and PC (RTX2060). I finally got it working and have not had an issue since. 
    Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,061 Volunteer Moderator
    I also had some trouble getting my Quest going last night (worked fine the previous time I used Link). I had the black screen and three dots, or else the black screen and my Guardian walls. After a full shutdown and reboot, it worked properly again. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    If you're getting the 3 dots issue, you're supposed to disable GeForce Experience Overlay in the Nvidia settings.
  • symphysymphy Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I finally had to do a factory reset to the Oculus Quest and then let it update to modern software. Now link works!
  • brownsea2989brownsea2989 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I've seen a few people have had success with disabling GeForce Experience Overlay however, I've never had this enabled and still have the problem. I've tried a couple of cables (including the one suggested by Oculus). I might try a full reset at the weekend and see if that works.
  • warlockukwarlockuk Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I think my next thought is to get a usb3.1 connector card just for the quest.
  • FlyingScotsman93FlyingScotsman93 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey Guys,

I had been having the exact same issues. At first I thought it was my wire as I got a different one from the Anker one recommended but the GeForce issue was what was causing me problems.
    I had updated all my drivers and restarted a bunch of times. At times I did get it connected and working, if I unplugged the cable and replaced it, it would return to black screen. 
    This is probably because after a reboot, GeF Exp didn't have a chance to start up correctly. 
    I would ensurer your drivers are up-to-date, disable overlay, and restart both. 
    Able to connect without a single issue. 

Just want to say thanks to who found this to be the problem and posted it here. Been following this thread for 4 days hoping for the answers and here they are. 
  • larrylartlarrylart Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    symphy said:
    I finally had to do a factory reset to the Oculus Quest and then let it update to modern software. Now link works!
    I'm having the same issue, black screen, what version of the software did you got? I'm running 11.0.0.180
  • cccoolguy10cccoolguy10 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. I tried everything. Resetting my headset, computer, and oculus app. I even redownloaded oculus app and factory reset my quest. Nothing has helped, it's all the same. oh yeah I also turned off overlay in geforce experience and updated drivers.
    NerveGear
    edited November 22
    I'm having the same issue. I tried everything. Resetting my headset, computer, and oculus app. I even redownloaded oculus app and factory reset my quest. Nothing has helped, it's all the same. oh yeah I also turned off overlay in geforce experience and updated drivers.
    I also tried everything, including reset oculus to factory defaults ... what version of firmware are you on oculus? Also what windows? Maybe we have a common denominator. 
  • PaulyD917PaulyD917 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I also tried everything including factory reset with no luck 
    NerveGear
    larrylart said:
    I also tried everything, including reset oculus to factory defaults ... what version of firmware are you on oculus? Also what windows? Maybe we have a common denominator. 
    Im on firmware 11.0.0.180. And I'm on windows 10
    NerveGear
    I've seen a few people have had success with disabling GeForce Experience Overlay however, I've never had this enabled and still have the problem. I've tried a couple of cables (including the one suggested by Oculus). I might try a full reset at the weekend and see if that works.
    please let me know how it works once you do a factory reset.
    NerveGear
    Hey Guys,

I had been having the exact same issues. At first I thought it was my wire as I got a different one from the Anker one recommended but the GeForce issue was what was causing me problems.
    I had updated all my drivers and restarted a bunch of times. At times I did get it connected and working, if I unplugged the cable and replaced it, it would return to black screen. 
    This is probably because after a reboot, GeF Exp didn't have a chance to start up correctly. 
    I would ensurer your drivers are up-to-date, disable overlay, and restart both. 
    Able to connect without a single issue. 

Just want to say thanks to who found this to be the problem and posted it here. Been following this thread for 4 days hoping for the answers and here they are. 
    this was very unclear. Can you explain how you made it work again? I've restarted everything but maybe you mean geforce experience. I don't see a restart button in geforce though.
  • BigConverseBigConverse Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem,No sound, and when I launched the oculus link from the headset, a message alert appears on the oculus app "Oculus Link (beta version) needs an update on your oculus Quest, but my software version is 11.0.0.180 and dont show any updates available. Please help
    NerveGear
    I finally found the problem and got it to work on my setup. First to help debug you need to check the oculus app logs on your pc. That will be under youruser\AppData\Local\Oculus, file of interest(log) there is (last by datetime) Service_2019-11-23_14.20.00.txt (where I found my problem). Also on interest there  is Compatibility.json where is all the hardware listed (of interest in my case was blacklisted).
    Now back to my issue, it was due to USB controller, I found in the logs this:
                "Compatibility_str": "BLACKLIST",
                "Name": "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)",
    Then I check in the Compatibility.json this: 
      "UsbBlackList": [ 
          "Vendor": "ASMedia",
          "PID": "1042",
          "OS": "Any"

I checked in my devices and I have the "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and that's that. I don't know why that is not supported. Luckily my Nvidia card has an USB C (3.0) port and I got an adapter to from C to type A female (usb 3 compliant) and it worked. Even with a cable made of three segments alittle over 3 meters, since I don't have yet one  long enough. 
    Long story short, it was the USB 3 controller not compatible/ black listed. You can check the json file/logs to get a hint what is wrong.  
    NerveGear
    I finally found the problem and got it to work on my setup. First to help debug you need to check the oculus app logs on your pc. That will be under youruser\AppData\Local\Oculus, file of interest(log) there is (last by datetime) Service_2019-11-23_14.20.00.txt (where I found my problem). Also on interest there  is Compatibility.json where is all the hardware listed (of interest in my case was blacklisted).
      "UsbBlackList": [ ..
    I've checked in my devices and I have the "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and that's that. I don't know why that is not supported. Luckily my Nvidia card has an USB C (3.0) port and I got an adapter to from C to type A female (usb 3 compliant) and it worked. Even with a cable made of three segments a little over 3 meters, since I don't have yet one  long enough. 
    Long story short, it was the USB 3 controller not compatible/ black listed. You can check the json file/logs to get a hint what is wrong.  
    NerveGear
    larrylart said:
      "UsbBlackList": [ ..
    I've checked in my devices and I have the "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and that's that. I don't know why that is not supported. Luckily my Nvidia card has an USB C (3.0) port and I got an adapter to from C to type A female (usb 3 compliant) and it worked. Even with a cable made of three segments a little over 3 meters, since I don't have yet one  long enough. 
    can you make that easier to understand. I couldn't follow along
    NerveGear
    Ahh sorry, there is a bit of information in the issue and I'm a bit on the rush. 
    Basically, my problem was due to USB controller in my desktop not compatible(black listed by Oculus). 
    Check in device manager, Universal serial bus controllers (look for USB3) and see if yours is listed in the bellow black list. If so you will need use another usb controller, I used the one I have on the NVIDIA card, or buy one. 
        {
          "Vendor": "VIA Labs",
          "PID": "Any",
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "ETron",
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "NEC",
          "PID": "0194",
          "OS": "WIN_7_SP1",
          "Comment": "t15565352"
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "Renesas",
        },
        {
          "OS": "WIN_8_0",
        },
        {
        },
        {
          "OS": "WIN_8_1",
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "Texas Instruments",
          "PID": "8241",
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "AMD",
          "PID": "7814",
        }
      ]
    NerveGear
    edited November 23
    larrylart said:
    Ahh sorry, there is a bit of information in the issue and I'm a bit on the rush. 
    Basically, my problem was due to USB controller in my desktop not compatible(black listed by Oculus). 
    Check in device manager, Universal serial bus controllers (look for USB3) and see if yours is listed in the bellow black list. If so you will need use another usb controller, I used the one I have on the NVIDIA card, or buy one. 
        {
          "Vendor": "VIA Labs",
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "ETron",
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "Texas Instruments",
          "PID": "8241",
        },
        {
          "Vendor": "AMD",
          "PID": "7814",
        }
      ]
    when it comes to that. Under the universal serial bus controllers, the only ones I have is Amd, ITE, Nvidia, and Usb Root hub. Since the amd one is blacklisted what do I do?
    NerveGear
    when it comes to that. Under the universal serial bus controllers, the only ones I have is Amd, ITE, Nvidia, and Usb Root hub. Since the amd one is blacklisted what do I do?
    If  you have the NVIDIA USB 3 Controller then you can use the usb port in the back of your nvidia card. it's probably an USB C port so you will need an adapter from USB C to USB type A female so you can plug in your usb cale - just make sure it's an usb 3 compliant adapter. Or if you have an USB c to USB c cable (also usb 3 compliant) you can try with that.