New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S lens flare / halos (?)

awdw75tafs67awdw75tafs67 Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hello!
I've been using my Rift S for a few days now,  when i first played i can't recall if i noticed anything like lens flare, but i started noticing it and it really bugs me.
My question is was it always there and i missed it? or did i somehow "make" them? or is it all in my head/eyes?
Thinking of returning my Rift S for a new one.

Thanks for help and/or everything! :smile:

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,149 Valuable Player
    Try to work harder getting your head placement correct.  Makes a big difference with all VR headsets. 

Also, depends on the background you are looking at.  Some solid coloured backgrounds are worse than others.  When playing most games you probably will not notice it. 

Like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 811
    Trinity
    edited November 2019
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    is the lens clean? maybe use vinegar and a soft glasses cloth.

If they warn against using alcohol rub on the plastic lenses, wouldn't using an acidic liquid such as vinegar be just as bad?
  • awdw75tafs67awdw75tafs67 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    is the lens clean? maybe use vinegar and a soft glasses cloth.
    The lens had a sticker with something like "No water" or something  along those lines, so i've been using the cloth that came with my glasses.
    Trinity
    edited November 2019
    3Jane
    if it can dissolve gums and shellacs it can damage the lenses;  https://sciencing.com/white-vinegar-isopropyl-alcohol-uses-8104631.html

here a lady does a test to see how vinegar works on shellac;

use the apple cidar vinegar seems to not work on shellac so it should be ok on the lenses. dont put it on your eyeballs though. if pure apple cidar vinegar is spooky then dilute it in water.

Considering Oculus says not to use any liquid whatsoever, I wouldn't be telling people to use vinegar on their lenses. They'll damage the coating, and it's not like you will pay for a new headset for them. Don't be so damn foolish.
    Trinity
    edited November 2019
    3Jane
    it seems odd to not be able to use liquid to clean the lens which would mean either not getting body grease on the lens from the eyeball area or wiping hard or having ugly greasy stains causing halos. no liquid now thats foolish... to have to keep grease stains. like if theres a bear chasing us to hunt i say dont run but i have to be in front of you and you in-between me and the bear, but dont run, thats foolish. this will remind me to never touch oculus vr lenses ever if i buy a vr unit from them cause then i have to live with grease halos. i will buy add on prescription lenses from widmo vr before i even power the unit on and put it on.

If it says not to use it in the warranty, then you don't damn well use it. Or...risk losing your warranty if something goes wrong. The lenses are plastic with a coating. Your fingernail can scratch them. Simply using the lens cloth they send with the headset can scratch it over time, if you apply too much pressure. And apple cider vinegar is what people use to remove skin tags. What the hell do you think it would do to the coating of the lenses??
    Trinity
    edited November 2019
    3Jane
    I seriously wouldn't trust it dude. Diluted or not...the thin film on the lens is far less durable than your skin. Go ahead...dilute it all you want...then splash it in your eyes. If it doesn't burn, then it's not going to do any good cleaning your lenses anyway. The main reason for not using water, even plain water, is unless it's distilled, it'll have minerals in it. Even the smallest flake of dust on the lens can scratch it with the cloth...the minerals in the water will be no different. And the acidic nature of the vinegar will cloud the film on the lenses. Maybe not the first time, but eventually it will. It's just not worth it. If they were glass, then it's a different story. But they're plastic...weak plastic at that.
    Trinity
    ok, good info spuzzum, i trust you, dont listen to my advice to use the vinegar i will delete my posts for safety.