New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v12 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 164 Oculus Staff
Important notes:
  • In an effort to simplify our software update processes, we are aligning the software version numbers across all of our products. You will see this reflected starting in this release (v12). We will continue to post separate release notes for our PC software and the standalone / mobile headset software. For more information on our release processes, please review this FAQ post.
  • This PTC software is not compatible with the Oculus Link feature on Oculus Quest. In order to use remote rendering, please opt out of the PTC to return to PC software version 1.43.
Rift S
  • Updated firmware to improve performance
Fixes
  • Various bug fixes and stability improvements

If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• MigushMigush Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited November 20
    Finger tracking for Rift S confirmed?? :p
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Interesting it is not compatible with the new Link. Not much in release notes with this one...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Greekspartan121Greekspartan121 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    What a heap of crap by oculus.New bloody software has stopped Link from connecting to store via the quest,meaning it does not work anymore.quest shows its connected,controllers are showing as not working,off it says now.Bavk to a crappy standalone headset again with no rift games.Why don't you knobs test the software before you realease it to the public.Would be to easy.
  • BuglardonsBuglardons Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I opt out i'm now in 1.39 so i can not use oculus link anymore 
  • vargabloodvargablood Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 20
    i opted out and lost oculus link sound who was there in latest ptc beta build. pls sync oculus pc client and quest firmware update rollout .....
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 974
    3Jane
    edited November 20
    Updated to v12 earlier and a headset firmware update.  Started up a few minutes back and had the Controller firmware update too.  All seems great so far :smile:
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • jfwatierjfwatier Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Rift S
    Updated firmware to improve performance

Wow thats clear and elaborate ...thanks you
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    So what is up with the new audio device I have now showing since updating to 12?
    I now show in addition to headphones - Rift S - another listing: Headphones - (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)??
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,244
    Wintermute
    edited November 20
    Just had a short session with my CV1 + 3 to see if it still works.

No problem so far, seemed to be as smooth as before.

I loaded my "home" just to check if it wasn't broken into while I was away. It seems to be fine. I'm hoping we will be able to have a garage sale at some point in the future. I have many alligator book ends, chairs, tables, plushies, shelves, bookcases, bows and arrows, swords, mini figures, etc that I need to clear out. I have no use for them. Will Oculus trade them for software one day?

Edit: No extra Audio Device showing here. (in Desktop App)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,690 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    So what is up with the new audio device I have now showing since updating to 12?
    I now show in addition to headphones - Rift S - another listing: Headphones - (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)??
    I would assume that's for Quest Link. Every Oculus headset shows up as an audio device (I've already got Rift and Rift-S in the windows audio device list), the virutal one would be for streaming audio instead of being a typical usb sound device.

• MawnteeMawntee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 20
    Rift CV1 user here. Update caused significant frame drops and skips in the HMD only. 

I noticed it the most while playing beat saber (both with mods and base game). 
    In HMD fps was showing around 75-80 and mirror on screen was sitting at a buttery smooth 90.

Also after switching out of the PTC my controllers seem to only want to grab when I press the trigger an nothing else, no other inputs work. 

While writing this I tried to remove and re-register my controllers only to have the software run me through the setup ...which I now can't complete because I can't press the trigger.

EDIT: Was able to remove and re-pair the controllers. Same problem persists on v1.43, controllers show up and track, but can only press trigger which acts as a grab button. No other buttons/inputs work. 
  • ThomasphoenixThomasphoenix Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited November 20
    Software update happened , but firmware update is going in an endless loop , asking me to install drivers  then the app closes then reopens , same thing . Please guide me as to the next steps . System hanged while trying to update with oculus service being the cause . This has happened each time I tried to update . My device is an oculus rift s . One month old .
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,505
    Project 2501
    Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Updated to 12.0 today, then right after there was another small update (1-1).  After a restart (including PC restart which I normally do after updates) all seems to work fine.  I have not noticed any difference in performance with any of my high demand flight and racing sims, nor any Oculus Store or SteamVR games.  All seems very stable for me so no need to opt out of the PTC at this point in time.  Thanks Oculus.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

NerveGear
    I had to restore windows and get out of the beta channel to get Oculus Rift S to work again . I have sent the earlier log to oculus via the app . Hopefully we know why some people are having these issues 
  • Zakam19Zakam19 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited November 20
    After updating to 12.0, my Rift S asks to update to firmware 2.2.0 (it's on 2.1.1) but when I click restart now to update, the oculus app restarts, does nothing and asks again to restart to update the firmware. I already tried turning off PTC and it still doesn't work.  
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,505
    Project 2501
    Not sure why a few are having issues.  Maybe try going to the Oculus website and run a Repair.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

NerveGear
    Zakam19 said:
    After updating to 12.0, my Rift S asks to update to firmware 2.2.0 (it's on 2.1.1) but when I click restart now to update, the oculus app restarts, does nothing and asks again to restart to update the firmware. I already tried turning off PTC and it still doesn't work.  
    Exactly my experience. I ran repair and after that too failed . Only a system restore worked , back to 1.43
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Not sure why a few are having issues.  Maybe try going to the Oculus website and run a Repair.
    Tried all methods , the oculus app refused to install once I tried to do a repair . Nothing worked , had to restore.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
    Wintermute
    The latest firmware update has bricked my Rift S. It's had an orange blinking light for the past few days now.

Does anybody know of anyway to force an old version of the firmware back on to my Rift S?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • Zakam19Zakam19 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Now I'm in a worse situation. Tried system restore and it stayed on v12. Tried repairing the oculus app. It failed and now it throws an installation error everytime I try to install the app. 
  • UbedeadUbedead Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    after 12.0 update my cv1 mic is muted.ran repair no change anyone else having this issue?

• ColdVoltageColdVoltage Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I can see any improvements in this update, and I'm having ton of issues with the trackingor playability(I'm using rift s btw). When i play beat saber, idk if i'm getting frame drop or loss of tracking, but game feels extremely choppy, and i even have trouble finishing the easier levels i used to play.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
    Wintermute
    I've not even tried my CV1 yet...I'm going to try it tonight, I really hope my CV1 works and that headset isn't broken as well. I'll report back.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited November 22
    What bug fixes were in the update exactly? The Rift S robotic/static mic bug still happens even in this PTC. This needs to be fixed.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,109 Valuable Player
    Performance seems way worse. Reverting now.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • cmaffia2019cmaffia2019 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Rift S firmware/software updates here had no no issues.  Noticed that Oculus Home graphic glitches have been resolved and display in general seems much tighter.  Not sure why a few are having issues.  
  • Fri13Fri13 Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited November 22
    Funny. I had 18GB free on C: before the update. After this beta update I have less than 5.5GB free.
    All I did was update the Oculus (it had downloaded it already, so included in that 18GB free) and it run the software update and asked to restart the Oculus software. Did so.
    Then got setup for the HMD firmware update, did that and it did automatically restart the Oculus software after that.
    Then got the Touch Controllers firmware update, needed to pair them again, took about 1 min on each, done. 

Now Oculus Software says there is an update and I need 12 GB free on C:. 

So the update just ate 12.5 GB from the C: drive.

LIke seriously, let us install Oculus software anywhere else than a C: drive? I have 1TB drive for C: and need all that space for everything else than Oculus Software. All my games are anyways on other drives as well, but that Oculus software itself is killing all the space, currently taking over 57 GB!

Edit: It would be as well nice to be able uninstall Oculus Software and re-install it, but as it does perform cleaning to all games saves as well (like what?! Why can't they be in the <User name>/Save Games/Oculus/<Game_Name>/?) then it is just terrible design and idea!