New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Suface Book 2&Oculus Quest,BUT...????!!!!

KingWilly79KingWilly79 Posts: 2
NerveGear
I own a Microsoft Surface Book 2 15 Inch,1060 Nvidia bla bla ..,and i got myself a brandnew Oculus Quest.
I find out that Oculus just release a Beta for Oculus Link and so I went to the Local electronic markt and got myself all the USB 3.0 cable and also download every update on every device  But i am still not able to run Rift Games on my Quest(and yes i have all the Rift Software and Treibers and everything but still no conection to my Surface book 2...Somebody please help!!

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,984 Volunteer Moderator
    The Surface Book 2 is using the mobile 1060 GPU. According to the Quest Link compatibility page, that GPU isn't supported. They are planning on supporting more by the end of the beta, but they haven't said which ones.

• teastonteaston Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Do you get the green ticks saying Quest is connected and active?
  • dingofoxvrfoxdingofoxvrfox Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    On the surface you have to have a powered usb hub
  • KingWilly79KingWilly79 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    teaston said:
    Of Course Not...otherwise I would not have a Problem.I hope Microsoft is going to release an update .
  • teastonteaston Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    teaston said:
    Of Course Not...otherwise I would not have a Problem.I hope Microsoft is going to release an update .
    That’s not true actually, I had the green ticks but could not connect to Rift home!!
  • asthmaticatomasthmaticatom Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    teaston said:
    ya i get the green tick that says it's connected but I'm not able to connect to rift home either. :(
  • LeonardohamlettLeonardohamlett Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    thanks for sharing
  • jimmy.ruptashjimmy.ruptash Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just updated mine as well to v12, both are updated, the green light is on but I am unable to connect. Tried USB-C to A, USB c to c. I had a WMR headset before and it was working fine. My surface is a i7 8th gen with the 1060 GTX.
  • plasm0plasm0 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problems trying to run Link using my Surface Book 2. 
    I just hope Oculus gets the 1060 compatible in future updates.  Until then, my usb-C cable will be waiting...
  • dingofoxvrfoxdingofoxvrfox Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    First oculus link requires a usb 3.0 compatible cable second you need 8 gigs of gpu power and 8 gigs of ram which the surface doesn’t have
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 609
    Neo
    First oculus link requires a usb 3.0 compatible cable second you need 8 gigs of gpu power and 8 gigs of ram which the surface doesn’t have
    Many of the GPUs Oculus says are supported for Link don’t have 8Gb RAM, for example GTX 970 only has 4Gb, AMD 400 series 4Gb etc etc...
  • AlbertoCarlierAlbertoCarlier Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have a Surface Book 2 as well and same problem here. But, has anyone ever being able to use an Oculus Rift on this device? Because as far as I know Rift is incompatible because the hdmi port is not directly connected to the graphics card. When I open the Oculus app I always get an error message. Connecting the Quest gives me the green ticks but it doesn't work. 

I assumed that, although oculus link works through usb and not hdmi, because the app shows that error I will never be able to use the Quest on the Surface Book 2. You people get that error as well or is it just me?
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 609
    Neo
    Don’t the green ticks just mean that software has detected the Quest is connected using USB 3.0? I tried connecting to my dads laptop that only has integrated GPU, still got the green connected but Link wouldn’t launch. My dads laptop does actually have a GPU on Links supported list, an AMD Vega 10, Oculus site states all Vega series should be supported.
  • MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    1060m is not currently compatible, a desktop 1060 is min-spec for link on a Desktop GPU but for a laptop right now yo need a 1070 or better.
  • AlbertoCarlierAlbertoCarlier Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 9
    Technically the 1050 is also not supported and a friend of mine can use the Quest with his laptop with no problems at all...

Edit: My bad, he uses a 1080. I was wrong.
  • FusionareFusionare Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I own a Microsoft Surface Book 2 15 Inch,1060 Nvidia bla bla ..,and i got myself a brandnew Oculus Quest.
    I find out that Oculus just release a Beta for Oculus Link and so I went to the Local electronic markt and got myself all the USB 3.0 cable and also download every update on every device  But i am still not able to run Rift Games on my Quest(and yes i have all the Rift Software and Treibers and everything but still no conection to my Surface book 2...Somebody please help!!
    Im budget (Why Im getting quest) Im worried about the surface go, that I got for free!