New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Vader Immortal: Entire Trilogy

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,811 Valuable Player
edited November 2019 in General
I'm about halfway done with Episode 3, and overall I am very pleased with this trilogy. While Episode 2 was probably the weakest of the 3 experience (mostly due to the slight redundancy in the gameplay), Episodes 1 and 3 feel rather epic.

I really love the visuals and battle sequences in Episode 3. Being able to use a variety of combat tactics between the Saber and the Force (you can use the Force with both hands!) is very cool for a Jedi enthusiast.

This would probably play better as a complete experience, and newcomers to Quest will get to enjoy that easily. For us early adopters, having to drag out the 3-part episodes likely felt a bit lackluster. But in the end I am not disappointed one bit. I hope to see more from this studio!

My Oculus Quest is really starting to overtake my Rift CV1 in terms of regular use. While I love PCVR, it's hard to get away from the freedom that the Quest provides. And now that I am using the Top Strap mod for the Quest, lengthier gamplays are possible without enduring much discomfort from its weight.

Anyone else pleased with Vader Immortal Trilogy overall?
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,265 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2019
    I bought Ep3 today, and will probably try to play it tonight on Quest Link (if I can get my audio sorted out).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,357 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    I didn't even finish Episode 2. Good to hear that 3 is better although some reviews on the Oculus store beg to differ. I agree the full package would be beneficial for about £15.99.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,366 Volunteer Moderator
    I was waiting for 3 before buying 2, just to make it a bigger experience, so that's what I just did!
    Total price doesn't seem too bad to me, even if you think of the 3 as a single game. And a lower priced bundle is bound to be available before too long.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,309 Valuable Player
    I was waiting for 3 before buying 2, just to make it a bigger experience, so that's what I just did!
    Total price doesn't seem too bad to me, even if you think of the 3 as a single game. And a lower priced bundle is bound to be available before too long.
    I did the same today as well.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,824 Valuable Player
    Well there goes more money I didnt realize that elisode 3 was out.....
    WAAAGH!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,811 Valuable Player
    Just beat it. Very cool battle sequences, and this Dojo is my favorite of the 3.

You can do it all in this Dojo:
    • Dual wield light sabers
    • Dual wield force use
    • Dual wield blasters
    • Fight Storm Troopers
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I guess I'm in the minority because I found all the episodes to be pretty terrible and boring. The dojo is great and worth the $10 all on its own, and the Ep. III dojo is by far the best though there were some bugs that the other didn't have. So I'm not upset with my purchase but the main story feels like you are just standing on a conveyor belt the whole time. And its so repetitive. I won't spoil the ending but obviously you fight Vader and it basically is just like watching a cutscene. As far as I'm concerned its just a waste of the Star Wars license.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • keeperofkeyskeeperofkeys Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Just bought Quest and this was my first game play Just started Ep 1 and I’m blown away. Graphics are very good. Problem is I like my VR world better than the real world. Lol
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    edited November 2019

Thanks for spoiling the ending.

I'm not stupid. Its called Vader Immortal.  All of the promotional material, trailers, and reviews show you fighting Vader. If that wasn't obvious enough, at the end of the second episode you are literally told that you now have to go fight Vader.

From the official trailer:

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    I'm not stupid. Its called Vader Immortal.  All of the promotional material, trailers, and reviews show you fighting Vader. If that wasn't obvious enough, at the end of the second episode you are literally told that you now have to go fight Vader.

There was still no telling exactly what the actual ending would be. So you did spoil the literal ending, regardless of what trailers and reviews show. Just  because the trailers show you fighting Vader doesn't mean that everyone knew that this would be the exact ending. It's possible that you could have fought Vader halfway through, and then moved on to another ending, etc.

Let's move on now. You don't like the game, you talked about the ending. Great. No need to derail.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 347
    Trinity
    I just bough episodes 2 and 3. They were both on sale. Previous price was 9.99, but now you could buy them at 7.95.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,054 Valuable Player
    As a Jedi I'm in favour of all this. I'm one of the many people that has put Jedi as my religion in the last few UK Censuses :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MattC2510MattC2510 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    just started episode 2 but im really tall or floating in the air, somethings not right.
    MattC2510 said:
    just started episode 2 but im really tall or floating in the air, somethings not right.

That's the power of the force
    :p
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,944 Valuable Player
    edited April 26
    I just played episode 3 and it was just terrible. I felt it was the worst of all the 3 games. I enjoyed the first. The second was meh. The third is garbage. 

To be specific, there was scenes where it just felt like the same enemy was coming at you over and over again. And the light saber fight wasn't anywhere near as good as the one in the first game. 

It's like it was made by a team with no VR experience at all. 

The dojos are cool so it's worth the money for that. Outside of the first game the rest feels like a VR "experience" game. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    You need to be a diehard Star Wars fan to enjoy these imho.  I’m a Trekkie and unfortunately good Star Trek games are kinda lacking.  Bridge Crew is pretty so-so for me.

Having said that I do enjoy SW episode 1, especially on the Quest cross buy.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,309 Valuable Player
    edited April 26
    I enjoyed all three, ran through them a couple of times.
    However they are really experiences rather than games imho.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited April 26
    Hmm, I have gone through some truly garbage experiences, both in and out of VR. None of the Vader Immortal episodes qualify as garbage. They are certainly no Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, or HL-A. But garbage? nah.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,944 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Hmm, I have gone through some truly garbage experiences, both in and out of VR. None of the Vader Immortal episodes qualify as garbage. They are certainly no Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, or HL-A. But garbage? nah.

Episode 3 was total garbage. You're on this platform and these stormtroopers come around on their platform. You deflect some blaster shots back at them. Then another group of stormtroopers show up. Rinse and repeat. It's the same stormtroopers coming at you from different directions. It's heavily scripted. It's a shooting gallery game. 

Then you have more heavily scripted shootouts with stormtroopers. The blasters look like crap. The shots feel cheap. Compare them to the weapons you use in Robo Recall. How hard is it to make a proper weapon? 

The lightsaber battle in the first seemed more satisfying to me. You were fighting multiple enemies and felt a bit challenging. The episode 3 fight seemed too easy. 

The dojos are fun. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
    edited April 29
    MowTin said:

Episode 3 was total garbage.
    Like I said, I've played garbage and Episode 3 far from qualifies. Besides, it can't be total garbage even in your own opinion since you also said this:
    The dojos are cool so it's worth the money for that.

At the very least you admit that the Dojo's make it worth purchasing. So it can't be both "total garbage" and "worth the money" at the same time. That's not really how "total" works, na' mean?

Based on what details you do manage to provide (other than just saying the word "garbage"), I disagree with a few points:
    • I think that the blaster pistols looked great. It felt cool to wield proper blasters in VR, and their mechanics were rather fun considering you could use the Force to manipulate them.
    • Considering how many games avoid melee fighting altogether (e.g. Arizona Sunshine, Half-Life: Alex), I found the light saber battles a welcome change to the ongoing number of VR Shooters.
    It sounds more like Vader Immortal failed to live up to the "hype." Which I can agree with. But just because it failed to meet the hype doesn't mean it is total garbage.

So while it didn't meet the hype, it definitely deserves a better review than just arbitrarily calling it garbage. So... here's a video showing the total gameplay,

Note that it has over 6,600 Likes and some positive comments (which is hard to get on YouTube these days)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    Ok, got #1, def going to buy #3, lol!  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).