New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

O-LINK Horrific low framerates and stutter..

Games001Games001 Posts: 9
NerveGear
edited November 2019 in Oculus Quest
Oculus Quest is less than a month old, runs smooth in wireless mode, but now that we have tried the LINK via USB3.0 we are getting an insane low and stuttering framerate.
Basics are:
Intel i7 4820k CPU (6-core) @ 3.7Ghz
32GB DDR4
MSI NVidia GTX 1660 ARMOR 6GB DDR5 (PCIe3-16)
Windows 10
Anker USB C Charger, Powerline USB C to USB 3.0 Cable (6ft) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor

Runs VR games on Steam and such perfectly.  Runs a RIFT S like a champ.  LINK just unusable.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,945 Valuable Player
    That's not the fault of the Oculus link, it's your computer.
  • symphysymphy Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I'm guessing its the USB cable. Your computer specs blow mine out of the water and my link experience has been as smooth framerate-wise as the Rift.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Could also come down to how many things are plugged into the other usb ports. They share bandwidth per controller.
  • Games001Games001 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited November 2019
    Spuzzum said:
    Could also come down to how many things are plugged into the other usb ports. They share bandwidth per controller.

Would installing another USB3.0 PCIe Card maybe give us a boost you think, being that this card I currently use has a few external drives sharing the ports?
    3Jane
    edited November 2019
    It depends on the card, but if it's maxed out, you might want to consider it. Are there no ports on the motherboard, or is that why you have the pcie card?

edit: It also comes down to not only how many things connected, but also if those devices are active. If they're just external drives, and they aren't actually reading/writing, then they aren't using much bandwidth, if any.
    NerveGear
    Spuzzum said:
    It depends on the card, but if it's maxed out, you might want to consider it. Are there no ports on the motherboard, or is that why you have the pcie card?

edit: It also comes down to not only how many things connected, but also if those devices are active. If they're just external drives, and they aren't actually reading/writing, then they aren't using much bandwidth, if any.
    That was my question, yes.  I did not think the drives would be eating much width being that they tend to be silent when not in use.  Most, if not all, of my ports on the MB are taken up with peripherals, including a few drives.  I can't imagine how they could be killing the card's speeds or causing the problem.
    3Jane
    It could be drivers, or just the fact it's still in beta, or maybe even some Windows setting(?).
    NerveGear
    Spuzzum said:
    It could be drivers, or just the fact it's still in beta, or maybe even some Windows setting(?).
    That's about where I had left it, aye.  I submitted a ticket and they replied within a few hours to more clearly define what the problem is.  I will post their reply here once they give us some better insights.
    3Jane
    Word on Reddit is to make sure you disable Vertical Sync in Control Panel, and select 'Use 3D Application Setting' instead. See if that's the issue.
    NerveGear
    edited November 2019
    Spuzzum said:
    Word on Reddit is to make sure you disable Vertical Sync in Control Panel, and select 'Use 3D Application Setting' instead. See if that's the issue.
    PC Control Panel and 3D App Setting.. in what menu? ;)  NVidia CP?
    3Jane

This was a stock pic on google images...make sure to set to Off, not Adaptive.
    NerveGear
    Hehe, yeah, I figured that was where you were speaking of.  It was set to Use 3D App Setting.  Will test it 'Off' tonight and see what it offers.
    3Jane
    Cheers. I just got mine going...using a right-angled extension, I had spotty connection using my onboard USB 3.0 controller, but had no problems plugged directly into the Quest. But after connecting to my Startech 4-port USB 3.0 pci-e card, that I bought for my Rift CV1 external sensors, and I'm running fine, even with the 90 degree adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/USB3-1-Extension-CGTime-Angled-Charging/dp/B071FJ96XB
    NerveGear
    edited November 2019
    Updating Windows 10 with every single tiny update available, removing all the USB cables from the PCIe Card except the LINK USB3.0 line, and updating (again) NVidia's drivers has helped, a bit.  The LINK Home will now load without any notable lag or latency and games from SteamVR load, run, and only chewy or other high-end graphics hogs seem to have any level of slow framerate.  Appreciate the help thus far and we'll keep tweaking this one and post our findings here.
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 153
    Art3mis
    edited November 2019
    try a clean boot, you may have more background activity than you think

https://windowsinstructed.com/clean-boot-windows-windows/

edit: just found out some people are experiencing similar issues .. possible work around is to plug your USB-c cable straight into your GFX card (if possible)

(note) on the back of your case not actually on the GFX card 
    NerveGear
    I would like to try the GFX Direct option, but sadly the card only offers 3xDP & 1xHDMI port.

Might this work you think?
     ...amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Display+Port+to+USB+3.1&qid=1576098760&sr=8-3
  • GAYMURGAYMUR Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    i set the priority of OVRserver in my task manager to Realtime and it fixed it for me
  • InvicTechInvicTech Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    For anyone wondering why you get bad performance with Oculus Link...

Contrary to what most people believe, Oculus Link does NOT run at the screen resolution of the Quest, it runs at 156% of that (3616*200 instead of 2880*1600) which puts its GPU Performance requirements at close to 4K resolution. This is why it runs like crap with a GTX 1660. The only thing you can do is lower the render resolution in either the Oculus Debug Tool or the SteamVR settings.

I recommend "fpsVR" for monitoring SteamVR Game performance
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Is that machine really not enough?  It looks fine to me, only thing I'm not familiar with is the GPU but I think it's one of the newer ones from Nvidia and those have better specs than the 1050ti I thought.  He said it also runs his Rift S no problem.  He's got enough ram to play a huge multiplayer level in DCS world and that's a memory hog.  What's wrong with his system?
  • InvicTechInvicTech Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    RedRizla said:

Is that machine really not enough?  It looks fine to me, only thing I'm not familiar with is the GPU but I think it's one of the newer ones from Nvidia and those have better specs than the 1050ti I thought.  He said it also runs his Rift S no problem.  He's got enough ram to play a huge multiplayer level in DCS world and that's a memory hog.  What's wrong with his system?
    You can take this picture as a reference:
    As you can see, using Oculus Link is very close to 4K resolution, which in turn means that without lowering the render resolution you cannot run demanding games smoothly with anything below a GTX 1070 (and 6GB of VRAM is not enough for many VR Games).
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,945 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    RedRizla said:

Nothing wrong with his computer for a Rift S, but he is talking about the Oculus Quest. Having read what the guy has written above it appears to be his computer like I suggested. If it was the problem of the Oculus link cable then everyone would be having the same problem and they aren't.