New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Freezing Quest

HappyduckkHappyduckk Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited November 2019 in Oculus Quest
So yesterday (11/22) I was using the Link for ours and I had no issues, but today any oculus link games are freezing inside the headset. The games are perfectly fine on my PC, but the headset will freeze and I'll need to power off/restart the headset in order for it to do anything again.
Anybody else having this problem? :Has anyone found a fix for this?

P.S: . I have made sure that no cables are disconnected when the freezing occurs.
        . I have a high-end PC, so specs aren't the problem
        . This has occurred with all of my Link compatible games, not just one specific game.
        . I have the recommended Anker USB cable, so hopefully that isn't the issue

Comments

• Corrupt-GrimCorrupt-Grim Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've been having the same issue since the link beta started. If i switch usb sockets over it tends to be more stable for a short time but the issue comes back.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,066 Valuable Player
    edited November 2019
    Yes happening to me as well, using a Tojo 6ft cable.
    Have the recommended Anker cable on order, but it is on backorder so won't have for a few days.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • mph552mph552 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue. Fire up Link and within 30 secs the video freezes up in the Quest. Have to close everything out and disconnect. Then it does it all again. 
  • adampro93adampro93 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Sadly mine freezes out too, checked my cable on a friend PC an it worked good. So it must be the  USB ports. I have asrock b360 pro4 motherboard. I reinstalled all my drivers but still not working now im thinking on BIOS update maybe. What motherboards do you guys have? Any solution anywhere? 
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Happened with me the other night while playing Space Pirate Trainer. Only happened once, but it was annoying. Still only the beta stage though, barely 2 weeks in. These are the kind of bugs betas are designed for...finding them and fixing them before the official release.
  • raeven63raeven63 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've been using link with the recommended cable for a little over a week now and now my headset is freezing up as well.  Still running fine on my PC but have to shut down the headset to reboot again. 
  • HappyduckkHappyduckk Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    raeven63 said:
    I've been using link with the recommended cable for a little over a week now and now my headset is freezing up as well.  Still running fine on my PC but have to shut down the headset to reboot again. 
    Same exact problem as me. The game still runs fine on the pc. 
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    I've the same issue.

Currently I'm playing Moss in Steam with it. Sometimes I had some little amount of freezes. But in the second trial of the DLC it just takes some seconds to freeze after the game loaded (GTX 1060 - 6GB, gfx settings at high).

What I can say:

The image and audio transfer to the Quest seems to be frozen (but I can still look around the last tranferred block).

On the PC monitor I can see:
    - game is still running
    - headset and controller tracking is still working
    - pausing and resuming the game when triggering the sensor in the headset is still working

So the USB connection is still active and is transferring data at least from the headset to the PC.

EDIT: I did initially set it up as described in an older guide. So I had public beta active at first. After the Oculus software did say my Quest needs an update (while the Headset says its up to date) I seached around and found a more recent thread where I got told to turn off public beta. So after turning it off and waiting for the downgrade it was working.

But maybe there is some stuff left that is not fully compatible to the current OS Version in the Quest?

The workaround in the "Audio is not working" threads seems to confirm that a downgrade from public beta is not cleaning everything up to the state before.
  • HappyduckkHappyduckk Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone. Please check your drivers to see if they have an update available. The recent nvidia driver update has solved my issue.
  • raeven63raeven63 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I was using an extension cord that was recommended by a VR You-Tube Dude and I have tried without the extension only a few hours but it seems to have been related to that.  I'll update if after further use it freezes up again.  
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    Hi everyone. Please check your drivers to see if they have an update available. The recent nvidia driver update has solved my issue.
    My NVIDIA driver is up to date.

EDIT: And reinstalling the Oculus App didn't solve the issue.

EDIT2: There is one Change after reinstalling the Oculus App ... I have no sound in the headset.

But maybe the Update with hands tracking this week will bring some BUG fixes for Link too.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Update: Today I received a USB 3.1 PCI-E card with 2 port which can deliver up to 10 GBit/s.

I had played around 2 hrs this evening and got not a single freeze.

The card has a ASMedia Universal Serial Bus 3.1-Host-Controller.

But to reach a large audience, Link should work not just with a selected amount of USB controllers.
  • OriigamiOriigami Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem .any fix?
  • NumberAloneNumberAlone Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    I had the same thing happening now and then.. but today for some reason it is happening every 3-5 min.. if im using steamVR i have to restart the whole game.. its quite annoying..(EDIT: i did factory reset of my Oculus Quest and it is not happening no more.)
  • Eastcoast78Eastcoast78 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    One word...Beta!!
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    One word...Beta!!
    True.. but there is a difference when it freezes sometimes and every few minutes.. Also because its Beta you want to let developers know the issues so they can be fixed. So its a good thing to write about it.
  • OriigamiOriigami Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I made a factory reset too and after 20 minutes it happend again.... iam so frustrated ....is my quest broken or what is it..? ..I cant understand how can this work 20 -30 -40 minutes and than its freezing again..
    NerveGear
    Yeah, its happening to me again, and its worse then ever..now it happens under a minute every time.. and its super frustrating.. i cant even use link at this point.. i hope developers fix this in the next update or at least write here that they are aware of this issue.
  • barat.gaborbarat.gabor Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yeah, its happening to me again, and its worse then ever..now it happens under a minute every time.. and its super frustrating.. i cant even use link at this point.. i hope developers fix this in the next update or at least write here that they are aware of this issue.
    I just started to 'use' link, and it's happening to me as well, basically after a few seconds, every time. :(
  • TheTonaZTheTonaZ Posts: 36
    NerveGear
    edited January 22
    Same here. This is out of my understanding. I played last week various games for hours and hours and hours with no issue. Then it is 2-3 days that my Quest freeze after a while, expecially on high cpu usage for demanding games.
    I troubleshooted and tried everything in my IT knowledge. This is frustrating. A word from Oculus staff would be appreciated.
  • TheRealDuDiKoTheRealDuDiKo Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Up.
    Happens to me too.. :(
    Bought the quest two months ago and was blown away (first vr experience). Currently trying to play elite dangerous, project cars 2, doom vfr, etc.

The link software was buggy from the moment i had it, freezing randomly, but it looks like it has gotten worse and worse as time goes by, giving less and less play time until it freezes.
    When it does, i have to disconnect quest from pc, then quit steamvr, close the game, and the oculus pc application.
    Tried both with open beta on and off.
    Details:
    Spec:
    i7 quad, 16gb ram, nvidia 1070
    Cable for link - recommended anker cable 10ft. The headset is fully charged

Use case:
    -run steam on desktop
    -Turn headset on.
    -Connect to pc.
    -Allow+enable link inside the headset.
    The oculus app opens on the desktop, and the link home is shown in the headset.
    -Run steamvr app in link home inside the headset.
    Steamvr home shown with all my games.
    -run project cars 2 inside the headset
    -go to any race
    - drive for 5 seconds to 5 minutes
    Oculus quest headset stops
    Status
     -the image that was freezed is kept on the headset screens, and while i move my head, THE PRESPECTIVE MOVES WITH ME, but the image gets distorted. i.e. it is not projected correctly.
    -no sound at all
    -on the pc side everything is running normally. I.e. the headset view on the desktop is shown  correctly and THE TRACKING STILL WORKS!
    -all other app seem to work the same.

My humble conclusion:
    There's still a problem with compressing and decompressing the data. It might be that the device halts the entire data pipeline when it comes to a compression problem.
    Maybe when using the official oculus cable, the throughput is configured differently, so that errors like this is less likely to happen.

Bottom line, im sad :(
    I want to play so many steam games but i can't..

Still, i would recommend buying the quest.

I hope my input will help in some way, and i wish this will be resolved asap.
    NerveGear
    edited January 23
    Official cable wont help. The interface is the USB 3.0 anyways. The way Link is programmed and how it works is just one, no matter the cable you use.
    Wrost and wrost over time, correct, for me too. But this is absolutely POINTLESS!! 
    I changed nothing on my system nor the Quest. Hardware component degradation over time, in 3 months? No way. 
    This is sensless. 
    I have to say one thing that may be relevant: one of my motherboard usb 2.0 outpunts get burnt, and i am quite sure Quest is the culript. 
  • PWal83PWal83 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I've been having the same issue since the version 12 update, was working fine before. Would be nice to have the option to use the older version of the software, hopefully it will be fixed next release.
  • ChrempentoChrempento Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue using the recommended Anker cable (10 Ft) and I did find that changing the rotation of the USB C end of the cable before plugging it into the Quest gave me a temporary fix for about 2 hours. However, this only worked once, so I'm assuming it was a fluke; the next day the nightmares resumed and I can't play Link for more than 10 minutes at a time. After the first freeze, every time I retry the freezing happens quicker until I reboot my PC and Quest. 
    NerveGear
    Anyways i am still troubleshooting, and actually the problem is bigger on steamVR games. Oculus app specific games runs better, without even opening SteamVR
  • david.trunecdavid.trunec Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I´m another one. Anyone know anything about next update release?
  • iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Fore me it has extended from 5 minutes to 15 minutes then it freeze no mater games or home same thing in Steam VR no difference.
    Can someone test with the old GPU driver, the lowest version which Oculus soft is requiring?
    I m a little hesitant to play with driver reinstall at the moment, Nvidia is popular in throttling the hardware with their updates so you buy new GPU similar to apple, windows and all this greedy corporations.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link
    NerveGear
    edited January 24
    So true, but i dont think is about video drivers. Anyways new games are optimized for new drivers, so ok maybe Link works better, but you will lose every optimization in latest games. Actually i am wondering if Link is still under development and if it will ever be released as final.... And working...
    Couse i bought the Quest mainly because it is capable of pc gaming, as they promised, but im starting to think i wasted my 450 euros. 
  • barat.gaborbarat.gabor Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I just started to 'use' link, and it's happening to me as well, basically after a few seconds, every time. :(
    Meanwhile I received the Anker cable from Amazon, and to my shock it works PERFECTLY. I never had another freeze since I started to use that cable, even though I played for hours with Boneworks.

Previously I used a seemingly good quality USB 3.2 Gen 1 cable from a local shop, and everything was green across the board in the Oculus software.

So it seems it's entirely possible to have a cable issue despite the software telling you that the connection is fine. (But I still suspect that the data connection could be engineered to be more robust and error tolerant.)
  • ChrempentoChrempento Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Meanwhile I received the Anker cable from Amazon, and to my shock it works PERFECTLY. I never had another freeze since I started to use that cable, even though I played for hours with Boneworks.

Previously I used a seemingly good quality USB 3.2 Gen 1 cable from a local shop, and everything was green across the board in the Oculus software.

So it seems it's entirely possible to have a cable issue despite the software telling you that the connection is fine. (But I still suspect that the data connection could be engineered to be more robust and error tolerant.)
    I am also using the Anker cable that was recommended by Oculus and I'm still having freezing. I played for about 10 minutes through the Oculus software on my PC before my headset froze, but it's still entirely possible and probable that it is a beta bug (I hope so anyway).