New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR helping my Depression.

keeperofkeyskeeperofkeys Posts: 9
NerveGear
Ok, I’m not crazy. I’m a 50 year old gamer have had every game console since Atari, and am new to VR. I have had bad depression the last seven years. As well as an anxiety disorder all my life. I’m on anti-depressants for years, have a therapist, and nothing has helped enough. I noticed after purchasing Oculus Quest just a few days ago and using it, that a feel better. Much better. Enough to recognize the connection. So I say ... is this just a new toy that is making me happy to have or own? No. It’s much more. I hope this continues. My feelings, and thoughts are —that it’s releasing aggression and stress, as well as conquering things. In the virtual world, no one can hurt me. Something to think about. I’ll continue to post updates whether it permanently help me in real life. So far so good. I’ll take anything at this point. 👍 Go Oculus

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,941 Valuable Player
    Maybe more inspiration here - some PCVR titles will require Oculus Link for the Quest though:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/80712/the-best-vr-games-to-reduce-real-life-stress-or-just-for-relaxing
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,272
    Wintermute
    edited November 24
    That's awesome mate! That's brilliant to hear. 

I've never had depression but I have been through a hard time the last few years and VR has definitely helped me as well. 

Welcome to the forums as well! We're happy to have you here, part of the VR community!

People think VR is just for games but it's not. 

You can also do all of this:
    • Social apps (VR Chat, AltSpace, Rec Room, Facebook Spaces, Echo Arena)
    • Exercise (Beat Saber, Audica, Dance Central, In Death, Gorn)
    • Movies
    • Documentaries (Zero Days VR, Sky VR: Hold The World, Through the ages: President Obama celebrates Americans national parks)
    • 360° videos of landscapes
    • Games
    • Site seeing - Pyramids, Mount Everest, Holiday destinations etc.

I'd recommend you watch all these short animations:

Oculus Store - Dear Angelica, The Rose and I, Alumette, Notes on Blindness, Dispatch, Abe VR, Transition, Easter Rising: Voice of a Rebel, Song of the Sea, Fantasynth, ProjectM: Dream.

Steam Store - Surge

And for relaxation I would recommend:
    • Medium
    • Google Tilt Brush - Awesome painting!
    • VR Fun House - From Nvidia
    • In Death
    • Form
    • A Fisherman's Tale
    • KIN
    • Google Earth VR
    • Gravity Labs - Physics based game - This is awesome!
    • The Climb
    • Mountain Goat Mountain - sitting down VR mini game, awesome!

Regarding games, some of the best games in VR are the old games in VR such as:

• Wilson's Heart
    • Robo Recall
    • Arizona Sunshine
    • In Death
    • Lone Echo

And for ultimate sit down relaxation I'd recommend:
    Ocean Rift! - Swim with sharks, whales, dolphins etc, great graphics and and very nice! 

Hope that helps you get started :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • Scott_SharraScott_Sharra Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Could it also be from the exercise?

When I bought into VR last year, part of my rationalizing the cost (gaming laptop + headset and accessories) was the fact that this is taking one thing I love (games), and combining it with another thing I NEED (exercise).

What I've noticed is that most of my time playing VR is in relatively short bursts - so I don't set myself up for that "where the hell did my weekend go" realization that my (for example) WoW addiction used to always do to me.

Arguably, VR can be a tool for self regulating your gaming, and then setting you on a path where your real life can also become more meaningful and fulfilling...  Ok, maybe a stretch.  But if I worked for Oculus or Valve, I'd probably run with that notion.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Yup, same for me too. I've been struggling with severe depression and anxiety for quite some time now and VR has definitely helped me feel better some days.

You might also want to try developing for VR too. It's a lot easier than most people think if you use the Unreal Engine and its Blueprint system. You can develop an entire game without writing a single line of code.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,850 Valuable Player
    @snowdog surely your spirits were raised at the weekend after that 3-2 win over the Hammers and a nice premier win for new manager Jose. I predicted the win. Hammers are on their usual low-drive at the moment. Sorry to turn this thread into Football. 

Back on topic.

Good, you guys have found an outlet to make life more meaningful/pleasurable when it all seems at a low point.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • netshamannetshaman Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    The best games for curing depression are those which are the most immersive like Stormland for example, or No man's Sky, Skyrim etc...
    And Vr is good way to cure vision problems , i noticed that after having played for hours in VR my vision is better , i can read texts that were unreadable before.
    @snowdog surely your spirits were raised at the weekend after that 3-2 win over the Hammers and a nice premier win for new manager Jose. I predicted the win. Hammers are on their usual low-drive at the moment. Sorry to turn this thread into Football. 

Back on topic.

Good, you guys have found an outlet to make life more meaningful/pleasurable when it all seems at a low point.

Nope. The opposite is true. I'm a United fan. Enough said lol :(:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• keeperofkeyskeeperofkeys Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited November 26

When I bought into VR last year, part of my rationalizing the cost (gaming laptop + headset and accessories) was the fact that this is taking one thing I love (games), and combining it with another thing I NEED (exercise).

What I've noticed is that most of my time playing VR is in relatively short bursts - so I don't set myself up for that "where the hell did my weekend go" realization that my (for example) WoW addiction used to always do to me.

Great point!  I can see this true for people who don’t get good exercise daily. As for me, I have been physically well all my life building homes. I game on the side, as I love tech. But things I love in life, have became blackened by depression and it’s gets very dark at times. I go weeks in a row with no joy . Have now had Oculus Quest  for a week now and am currently playing Vader immortal on Quest and WOW. I love it and yes I am feeling so much better still
    To me, this is a break through in Science and how it helps with anxiety and depression. I’ve since been reading articles on the net about therapy and VR. IT WORKS. Thanks for all your comments love you guys!! I’ll keep updating my condition I would love to think it may help someone else as well as myself with depression.    
    NerveGear
    edited November 26
    netshaman said:
    The best games for curing depression are those which are the most immersive like Stormland for example, or No man's Sky, Skyrim etc...
    And Vr is good way to cure vision problems , i noticed that after having played for hours in VR my vision is better , i can read texts that were unreadable before.
    Ok so yea I wear glasses I am near and far sighted. I can’t say yet whether it help my vision, I will say however that I tried Quest with, and without my glasses. I like NOT wearing them with the headset even though my glasses make the images slightly sharper. I’m finding there to be a adjustment period for my brain and vision when coming out of the virtual world. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,272
    Wintermute

Great point!  I can see this true for people who don’t get good exercise daily. As for me, I have been physically well all my life building homes. I game on the side, as I love tech. But things I love in life, have became blackened by depression and it’s gets very dark at times. I go weeks in a row with no joy . Have now had Oculus Quest  for a week now and am currently playing Vader immortal on Quest and WOW. I love it and yes I am feeling so much better still
    To me, this is a break through in Science and how it helps with anxiety and depression. I’ve since been reading articles on the net about therapy and VR. IT WORKS. Thanks for all your comments love you guys!! I’ll keep updating my condition I would love to think it may help someone else as well as myself with depression.    

That's great to hear mate! And yeah definitely keep us informed. I'm happy to hear this technology is bringing joy to your life.

I also love Vadar Immortal, I have completed Episode 1 and 2 but I've not had chance to play Episode 3 yet as I'm currently training for an MMA fight. Hopefully I will play it tonight as I hear it only takes 1 hour to complete so should be doable before bed. The 3rd episode is apparently the last episode so it's 3 x £7.99 but it's so worth it imo as this game is amazing, especially for Star Wars fans! :)

BTW out of curiosity are you using Oculus Link to play using a PC? Or are you just playing wireless?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    NerveGear
    edited November 26
    Playing Quest wireless. Yes Amazing game Vader Immortal and I’m just beginning!  Thanks for commenting 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,850 Valuable Player
    I assume you mean West Ham United and not Man U. Well if you are a WHU fan then you just went up in my book.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Nope. There's only one United!!! 😎

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 817
    3Jane
    Were in the age of insecurity. A hell of a lot of people are experiencing deep depression its crazy. I used to treat depression as something easily fixable by making wiser/better choices. Although that has something to do with it, my view on it has completely changed. I think it's way more physiologically related than anything. Check out the documentary 'The Science of Fasting" on Amazon.