cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3 port problems ?

kenf1071
Adventurer
Any ideas why all my USB ports on both my desktop pcs won't run quest with link ? I get the freezing issue ? but my comp I use upstairs has the 5 port inateck pci -e USB 3/ 5-port Express card which I purchased when I had the cv1 & it works no problem ? My comp downstairs is more powerful so I move the quest back & forward to use on both but I can't understand why it won't work on any of the other USB 3 ports,anyone had those issues & I was trying not to buy another pci card but it's looking like I have no other option 
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

kenf1071 said:

Any ideas why all my USB ports on both my desktop pcs won't run quest with link ? I get the freezing issue ? but my comp I use upstairs has the 5 port inateck pci -e USB 3/ 5-port Express card which I purchased when I had the cv1 & it works no problem ? My comp downstairs is more powerful so I move the quest back & forward to use on both but I can't understand why it won't work on any of the other USB 3 ports,anyone had those issues & I was trying not to buy another pci card but it's looking like I have no other option 

Quest Link is very finnicky about USB 3 ports, ended up having to connect mine into my front panel 3.1 port that does not have any other devices plugged into that Hub. It works fine for me there.

kenf1071
Adventurer
its a bloody pain ! ive got 4 usb 3 ports on the comp downstairs and link wont work on any of them,ive bit the bullet and ordered this as its the same one i have upstairs and it works no problems
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FPIMJEW/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

cant see anyway round it as i need it running on both systems 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had issues with my mobo's usb ports as well, but flawless with a Startech usb pci-e card. I'm thinking it's the power limit of only 900 mA of the USB 3.0 ports. Maybe a powered USB hub would help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spuzzum said:

I had issues with my mobo's usb ports as well, but flawless with a Startech usb pci-e card. I'm thinking it's the power limit of only 900 mA of the USB 3.0 ports. Maybe a powered USB hub would help.

I tried a powered USB 3 Hub in one of my other ports, and it did not work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

Spuzzum said:

I tried a powered USB 3 Hub in one of my other ports, and it did not work.

I just tested with an Amazon Basics hub I bought for my Raspberry Pi, and it works fine on the ports that gave me issues before. It's only 900 mA per port, but that's on top of the 900 mA the port on the motherboard's already putting out, for a total of 1.8 Amps. I'll do some testing to see how much and how fast the internal battery drops while using it. I'd like to find something putting out 2.1 Amps per port, which would add up to 3 Amps in total with the motherboard's stock 900 mA.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80

kenf1071
Adventurer
would we still buy a quest if you knew about all the add ons you would need to buy ? new cables, vr covers, headsraps, controller covers, only certain USB ports work forcing you to buy a usb card to use link ? the quest cost me £399 uk pounds & I’ve probably spent about 100-120 pounds extra to make it comfier or work with link 

anyway my new card is coming today along with an extended cable & right angled usb c adaptor so hopefully it all works !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

kenf1071 said:

would we still buy a quest if you knew about all the add ons you would need to buy ? new cables, vr covers, headsraps, controller covers, only certain USB ports work forcing you to buy a usb card to use link ? the quest cost me £399 uk pounds & I’ve probably spent about 100-120 pounds extra to make it comfier or work with link 

anyway my new card is coming today along with an extended cable & right angled usb c adaptor so hopefully it all works !!

Yes, it's no different than CV1 owners who shelled out for extra sensors for 360 tracking, either a 3-camera or 4-camera setup, along with a proper usb pci-e card, and active usb extension cables if you want to mount the sensors at least 6 or 7 feet high...as the stock cable's are only 8 feet, and you generally want to position the cameras away from the pc, preferably 10 feet apart. Then the replacement facial insert so you don't collect all that sweat, and maybe even extension usb and hdmi so you have a longer cable run. All said and done, and the CV1 with all it's extras cost just as much as the Vive with a Deluxe Audio Strap. There's the base model to get you going, then there's the model you want by paying for extras.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm that a Vive Link Box works great as a powered hub, for both HDMI and USB 3.0. I already had one for my Rift CV1, so I could simply connect the headset in front of my pc, rather than route the cables to the rear, saving a few feet in the process. It requires a 12v 1.5a power adapter, but I DIY'd a 12v source direct from a SATA connector, wired to a 2.5mm DC power jack, mounted to a pci slot backplate. SATA cables are supposedly 4.5a per voltage (3.3v, 5v, 12v), so it should be enough. But...with the Amazon Basics hub I tried, I dropped 25% battery in about an hour's worth of playtime. With the Vive Link Box and my 12v power mod, I dropped 5% in about 30 minutes worth of playtime. But...with my Anker PowerCore 10000 PD battery pack, running natively as a standalone, the Quest stays at 100% battery, and drains the battery pack instead. The Link Box definitely helps though, even the Amazon Basics hub, as I don't get proper connection on the usb ports without them. And it doesn't work without the power adapter, so it's definitely a powered hub, and not just passing power to the Vive's headset via the power line.

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Vive-Link-Box-pc/dp/B01LXR6DKV

gregor616
Adventurer

kenf1071 said:

When I bought my quest, running PCVR wasn't an option, Link has not been perfect for me by any means but I have had a lot of success considering it is only the first beta release. I am sure they will add support for more USB ports just like they are for more video cards. If people choose to spend money on the parts that are known are working that is their choice but chances are by the time Link is officially released the only purchase you will have to make is the cable, which I intend to get since it will be fiber. If people don't want to spend then they should wait for development to fix the issues in the first beta. 

I love what I have seen so far!
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard