cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast Issue

znorthrip
Honored Guest
Hello All, just bought a Quest and a Chromecast. The issue I am having is the chromecast doesnt show up in the app, just 'phone'. I can cast if I use a third party app and cast my screen phone but the quality is bad. I have ensured I am on the 5G network with all 3 devices, the name of the Wifi Broadcast is different than the 2G network. I have rebooted several times, ensured I can cast a laptop to the chromecast. I am using an Iphone xs max, but I did try it on an android phone as well as a samsung tablet. I get the same results. Am I missing something or do I need an update that isnt available to me?
23 REPLIES 23

karacsonyi_atti
Explorer
Same with me on Samsung S9+. In Oculus app (v. 36.0.0.5.242) the Chromecast (3rd gen) is not showing up on the Cast to list just the phone. 😞

christiangehner
Honored Guest
Same with me
iphone xr 
what can we do?!

cashxx
Protege
Having the same issue...was going to show it off for thanksgiving and can't get chromecast to work.  All on same 5G network, latest versions of software, etc.  Can chromecast from other devices fine to the Google Chromecast Gen3 but it won't show in Oculus Quest headset or in the iPhone app.

dingofoxvrfox
Protege
be because you need the latest chromecast which is the chromecast 4k

dingofoxvrfox
Protege
Same issue older chromecast are not supported by google and the quest

cashxx
Protege

be because you need the latest chromecast which is the chromecast 4k

Same issue older chromecast are not supported by google and the quest

I don't think this information is correct!  Plus I emailed support and they said no such thing.  Their support article mentions the following:

There are a few things to keep in mind when casting to a Chromecast device:

• This feature is still in beta.
  • Currently, the only devices supported for casting with Quest are:
    • All generations of Google Chromecast
    • Google Home Hub
    • Nvidia Shield and Nvidia Shield TV
I wasn't aware it was still in beta, which is probably the issue and some how got broke in version 11 of the Oculus Quest software.  I seen a few posts saying that after version 11 it stopped.

Plus before the 4k version came out and others were having trouble before with older chromecasts, they were saying you need a 3rd gen.  They should all work as they all use the same technology and I don't see why they wouldn't be supported.  Plus the 3rd gen just came out in around October 2018.

cashxx
Protege
May be linked to IPv6 on your router.  If you have the option to disable it, try that and let us know.  I'll have to wait on a patch from Oculus as I am unable to disable IPv6 on my router.

cashxx
Protege
I checked on my parents router which is a Netgear R6120 with latest firmware and IPv6 is disabled by default so it isn't that.  Running version 12 on headset and still not working.  Not sure about 12.1 on my headset.  Brother has 12.1 running on his and not working either.  Sad that this isn't working....perfect marketing opportunity for Oculus!

sj3vans
Explorer
Anymore movement on a resolution?  Just opened my Quest, seeing same.  Connected Quest, phone, Chromecast, a new Vizio TV with Chromecast, and a Lenovo Google Assistant (home), all to the same WiFi.  But only phone shows as a casting destination...