New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Chromecast Issue

znorthripznorthrip Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello All, just bought a Quest and a Chromecast. The issue I am having is the chromecast doesnt show up in the app, just 'phone'. I can cast if I use a third party app and cast my screen phone but the quality is bad. I have ensured I am on the 5G network with all 3 devices, the name of the Wifi Broadcast is different than the 2G network. I have rebooted several times, ensured I can cast a laptop to the chromecast. I am using an Iphone xs max, but I did try it on an android phone as well as a samsung tablet. I get the same results. Am I missing something or do I need an update that isnt available to me?

Comments

• karacsonyi.attilakaracsonyi.attila Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same with me on Samsung S9+. In Oculus app (v. 36.0.0.5.242) the Chromecast (3rd gen) is not showing up on the Cast to list just the phone. :(

• christiangehnerchristiangehner Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same with me
    iphone xr 
    what can we do?!
  • cashxxcashxx Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Having the same issue...was going to show it off for thanksgiving and can't get chromecast to work.  All on same 5G network, latest versions of software, etc.  Can chromecast from other devices fine to the Google Chromecast Gen3 but it won't show in Oculus Quest headset or in the iPhone app.
  • dingofoxvrfoxdingofoxvrfox Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    be because you need the latest chromecast which is the chromecast 4k
  • dingofoxvrfoxdingofoxvrfox Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Same issue older chromecast are not supported by google and the quest
    Brain Burst
    edited November 2019
    be because you need the latest chromecast which is the chromecast 4k
    Same issue older chromecast are not supported by google and the quest
    I don't think this information is correct!  Plus I emailed support and they said no such thing.  Their support article mentions the following:

There are a few things to keep in mind when casting to a Chromecast device:

• This feature is still in beta.
    • Currently, the only devices supported for casting with Quest are:
      • All generations of Google Chromecast
      • Google Home Hub
      • Nvidia Shield and Nvidia Shield TV
    I wasn't aware it was still in beta, which is probably the issue and some how got broke in version 11 of the Oculus Quest software.  I seen a few posts saying that after version 11 it stopped.

Plus before the 4k version came out and others were having trouble before with older chromecasts, they were saying you need a 3rd gen.  They should all work as they all use the same technology and I don't see why they wouldn't be supported.  Plus the 3rd gen just came out in around October 2018.
    Brain Burst
    May be linked to IPv6 on your router.  If you have the option to disable it, try that and let us know.  I'll have to wait on a patch from Oculus as I am unable to disable IPv6 on my router.
    Brain Burst
    I checked on my parents router which is a Netgear R6120 with latest firmware and IPv6 is disabled by default so it isn't that.  Running version 12 on headset and still not working.  Not sure about 12.1 on my headset.  Brother has 12.1 running on his and not working either.  Sad that this isn't working....perfect marketing opportunity for Oculus!
  • sj3vanssj3vans Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Anymore movement on a resolution?  Just opened my Quest, seeing same.  Connected Quest, phone, Chromecast, a new Vizio TV with Chromecast, and a Lenovo Google Assistant (home), all to the same WiFi.  But only phone shows as a casting destination...
  • carlsonpdcarlsonpd Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Got  chromecast ultra for xmas and it showed on phone as an option before update to version 12.0 Oculus OS. After updating to 12.0 the Chromecast no longer appears on the phone as an option to cast to it. Do not update to 12.0 unless you dont care about losing ability to use Chromecast. I now have to pray for a fix to this or I am just out of luck on using my xmas gift any more. It worked seemlessly before the update too which makes the situation especially painful for me.

• wcroll1wcroll1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    For people saying that the older generation of chrome cast is not supported, that is simply not true.  I have the first version of chromecast and it works fine.  The only caveat is that you cannot use 5G because that older generation of chromecast won't support it.   My router is set up for 5g and 2g so I simply choose the 2g on my phone so the chrome cast and the quest are on the same wifi.       
  • JediBradley1977JediBradley1977 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Chromecast option is not showing on my phone or Quest headset. I have Chromecast 3.0 and the headset, phone, and Chromecast are all on the same wifi. Bluetooth is on on my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy s10e. I also tried a Galaxy s7. I can cast from the headset to the phone fine, but with no sound. If I go to the Chromecast Home I can cast the phone to the TV, then go to the oculus app and cast the headset to the phone. This allows me to see the headset on the TV, but still without sound. There should be an option to play sound on the phone. There seems to be a problem with the quest and the oculus app not showing the chromecast option. I hope this can be fixed soon. 
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sorry that I am not able to help solve your problems, but I am on version 12 and can cast to Chromecast and Visio TV. Oddly enough, the TV is more stable than the Chromecast (latest gen, not 4K). So, the issue is more complex than just "don't upgrade to v12."
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • sj3vanssj3vans Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    For me, It started working after a hard power down.  Previously I reported that when in the Quest sharing, then click Cast, it only gave me the option to click start to cast to my phone.  No other devices showed.  I'm on version 12.0.0.226.469.  I verified the Quest, my phone, and all Chromecast devices were on the same 5G wifi network.  Still no go. Then, while playing for a couple hours, the battery died and it powered off completely.  When I powered it back up, on a whim I tried it again, and this time I see all my Chromecast devices, including a second gen Chromecast, a Vizio TV, and a Lenovo smart screen.  I chose the TV and it worked including sound.  Awesome.  Not sure if anything else changed but the hard power down/up seems to have been the fix for me.  Good luck!
  • BearcaatBearcaat Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys so I’ve had the same issue and I’ve determined it’s due to the new update causing the Casting (which is in Beta) to be unstable which we will have to unfortunately just wait until it is patched. I have however been able to get it to work Some of the time but only on doing the Opposite of what we should do and had my Quest connected to my standard WiFi while the Chromecast and phone are on 5G. I’ve yet to get casting to work while all on the same WiFi. 

Another chromecast issues I encountered and resolved if anyone may be having it is the auto dimming when I cast to it from the Oculus or even my phone. I had to go into my TV’s settings and turn OFF energy Saver/Eco Sensor. I’ve had the TV for 3 years and never had any dimming happen until the Chromecast and that solved the issue. 
  • zerocool1028zerocool1028 Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Works fine on my current standard chromecast and my vizio tv. Haven't been using it because the red dot annoys me.
  • floatyfishfloatyfish Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 17
    I just wanted to leave a note to thank Bearcaat for their advice.  That totally fixed our connection.  As counter-intuitive as it sounds, putting the phone and Chromecast on the -5G network and the Oculus on the standard WiFi connection worked immediately.
  • dirtysteven89dirtysteven89 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have tried everything 5g, 2.4g, IPv6 off, and still nothing.....  I'm guessing app issue. I'm trying to use chrome cast ultra the newest one.   it wont even cast to my phone it did for 6 seconds and never again after that.  i know its in beta still
  • FlushbackFlushback Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Any updates on this? Ive had my quest connected to my Chromecast from when i bought it in December to middle of January when i moved. Since then i haven't been able to see it in the oculus or the oculus app on the phone. The Chromecast works fine from my phone (screensharing) or computer, but just not the Oculus for some reason... Been searching the whole WWW for something but not a single thing have worked for me.

What bothers me the most is that it used to work flawless before, and now it doesn't even show up.. :neutral:
  • AbbaYoshAbbaYosh Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I wouldn't be at the end of this thread if I wasn't have the same trouble but I did stumble upon a scenario that fixed it for me.  I tried moving devices across 2G to 5G wifi connections in just about every scenario but so it's hard to say what was the actual fix.  Coincidentally, what I did might have been the issue or not but it's worth sharing since no one mentioned this part yet.  In the Oculus App cast page I could see my Quest device with a green status in the Cast From section and in the Cast to section, all I saw was my phone.  The phone had a blue check box next to it, but the Quest did not.  When I clicked on the Quest icon, a blue checkbox appeared and then my chromecast icon was listed.  Now I could select my chromecast device.  All are on 5G.  All have been rebooted a couple of times.  All are upgraded to the lastest firmware.  I even set the chromecast device to preview program just to make sure . Hope this helps anyone else.
  • Dreadnought6570Dreadnought6570 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Not an app or version issue can confirm
    This works fine on 2.4 and 5ghz if I use my phone hotspot as the router.  However on two different routers I have not been able to find the setting that is enabled/disabled on my phone that is stopping it on your average home router. 

Does work perfectly on phone hotspot with latest updates