New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S IPD: mine is about 68mm - will I regret my purchase?

andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 242
Nexus 6
edited November 2019 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Hi
Just bought the Rift S from Amazon.
My GF IPD is dead centre so she is ok.  But according to my CV1, my IPD is 68, maybe a smidge higher 68.5, which is allegedly outside the ideal range.   Should I cancel my order? 
For info, I own the DK2 and I used that for hours and was totally fine when I used it.
Thanks!
EDIT
Does anyone have a similar IPD to me, or higher?  How do you fare with yours?
Tagged:

Comments

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 304
    Trinity
    66 here...perfect viewing for me :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Lucky for you, I take my gear seriously and test all this sh!t cause I consider myself an ambassador of VR (I'm a host on CouchSurfing.com and I put all my visitors in VR).

My IPD 72 mm. Rift S is still my main driver in spite of the lack of physical IPD slider.

To put that into perspective, I own two Gear VRs, a Rift, a Rift S, a Quest, and a Valve Index (the Index is still shipping though - I am expecting I'll be using Index for VR games I own on Steam, but I also anticipate I'll still use Rift S for my Oculus collection). That's in addition to also having an IPD ruler and an IPD calibrated mirror (for those who prefer to take their IPD themselves). My closest friends all own different VR gear as a result of my recommendations and tests they were able to do at my place.

K, with that said, let me dive into particulars of my personal experience, and more importantly what you may expect.

With my IPD, the sweet spot is just about non-existant; if I set my headset just right, the lack of sharpness on the outer sides of my FOV is something I stop noticing after a few seconds. But it's definitely there.

If, however, I slide the headset to the left or right just a millimeter (two max), the corresponding eye falls into immediate focus. So I can say with certainty that anyone with an IPD of 70 can bring their eyes into a sweet spot with a little fiddling.

I know this to be true cause I also tested this on my Rift and my Quest. When I bring my slider into mid position, I get the exact same peripheral blurriness that I get on my Rift S. But if I then move the slider out by only 1.5 mm, I can see everything in focus without further adjustment of the slider (at the time of this writing, Quest doesn't provide the numeric slider position value like Rift does, but if I take the headset off I can see where the slider sits. This feature is coming at a later unannounced date, however. The ability for Quest to provide feedback on its IPD position was built into hardware - Oculus just never bothered to write that functionality into its drivers)

Any further adjustment of the slider Beyond 2 mm from the center position just increases the size of the Sweet Spot for me (and the FOV, ever so slightly).

As someone with a 68 mm IPD, the most you can expect is a loss of 1-2° in FOV and your sweet spot will be a tad smaller then your girlfriend's.  So if you whip your head around a lot, you could find yourself adjusting headset position a bit more often than someone with an ideal IPD range.

Hope this helps
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2019
    Mate

Thanks for that!  You're able to play fine-ish with 72.  Hopefully that means I should be OK with 68.
    I didn't think about just using my CV1 with the slider set to the middle and seeing how I get on!  I am such a dur brain!

EDIT
    It does feel a bit wierd with the slider set to 63 but I recon it will feel slightly less wierd because the sweetspot is a bit larger with the Rift S.
    Anyhoo I will know tmo and shall report my findings
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator
    Mine is 67 and the S is good for me. I've posted my thoughts on this in a couple threads but I'll copy it here too, if it helps....

'The sweet spots are large (the areas of good focus), I think notably larger than CV1 (and I think from memory, much larger than DK2). There may be some correction going on with the software IPD but I don't think it's able to fully compensate for fixed sweet spots if at all.

So if your eyes are around the 70-72mm IPD range, I think you'll notice that the sweet spots are becoming biased towards your nose... focus will be ok in the centre of your vision still but looking towards the right with your right eye... or left with your left eye may not be great. The reverse being true if you're at or near the minimum IPD. 

Some people may notice this more than others, those who move their heads more than their eyes may notice it less... some games may have more going on towards the periphery causing you to notice it more... there's probably quite a few factors here.

From my experience, an IPD of 67 I think is approximately where the focus is the same at the outer limits when compared with the original Rift but covers a noticeably greater area towards the inner limits of vision, so for me it's definitely better overall. 68 and above I think is where the outer focus start to become different compared with CV1.'

So anyway, as per the above, with a 68 IPD, depending on the games you play or how your tend to move your eyes rather than head, you may not notice the fixed IPD being a limitation at all. I think most people with that IPD have posted that it's been ok.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 2019
    It does feel a bit wierd with the slider set to 63...
    Keep in mind that Rift S does have a software IPD adjustment (which basically moves the two images closer together or further apart to "meet" your physical IPD on the other side of the lens). That, when combined with a bigger sweet spot, should alleviate any weird sensations you're experiencing with CV1 set to 63 :)
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for the replies. 
    I now have it but am currently unsure whether or not to keep it.
    It does make and leave my eyes feeling funny  :(
    I am super tired though so will give it a proper go

The picture quality is so good though compared to the CV1. Although the stars in the background do seem to cast a tiny blur halo in Elite. Assetto Corsa is awesome! 
    I don't want to return it!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    I'm also 67 and the S is absolutely fine - jump in and have a load of fun with it :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Nexus 6
    Yup!

I think it was because I was tired.  Just had about an hour and half in it and feel fine.  :)

Sweet!
  • golani79golani79 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    IPD of 70mm here and I sent the Rift S back - too bad it doesn´t come with a physical IPD adjustement ..
    Was going to use it for flightsims and there was just too big an area which was very blurry. Even if I was able to get 1 eye to the sweet spot, the blurry part was even bigger on the 2nd eye.

You are tracking a bandit outside and want to glance at some instruments - have a hard time reading them.

I´m kinda disappointed - really wanted to dive into VR and the Rift S seemed like a good deal - but software IPD adjustment, although it goes up to 72 doesn´t really do anything (it´s more or less just for scale).

Thinking about getting the Quest but I´m not sure as it still has the old headband which, according to multiple sources isn´t really comfortable.

It´s kinda hard to understand some choices which were made for these products ..
    Nexus 6
    I now think I am 68.  Sometimes 68.5

I have to spend about 5 to 6 seconds to get the HMD sat on my face right.  (I have that front slider a notch or 2 from the smallest setting. meaning the lenses are close to my eyes.  I have to adjust the height of the HMD just right to.  Pressumably where my eyes are right in the verticle centre of the lense sweetspots, which meant my pupils were just in the sweetspot.)   If I have it positioned one teeny amount to one side, my right eye seems to have blurring on the right side of my right eye.

BUT once I have spent the 5 or 6 seconds getting it fixed in place, all is good!

My gf on the other hand, who wears glasses, just plops it on her head and says it's perfect!