New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - Back from the dead!

SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
Wintermute
edited December 2 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Just wanted to let everyone know, that after 9 months of using my Rift S things have improved massively. 

I think they might have actually improved the tracking to an almost acceptable level. The other week I thought my Rift S was bricked as it didn't turn on for 4 days but after a couple of patches and some firmware updates it magically started working again.

I was playing Audica and Vadar Immortal Episode 3 last night and I didn't get the usual dreaded teleported hands dangling in front of my face (which used to always happen whenever I played any game where my hands were at my side).

For a long time I was so fed up with my Rift S but I guess after dozens of patches and firmware updates over the past 9 months they have finally fixed most of it's problems. It will still never be as good as normal room tracking from Contellation/Lighthouse but it's not bad for camera tracking from the HMD it's self. I just wish they had released it in proper working order 9 months ago.

Anyways, if anyone is thinking of buying Rift S or Quest, I think the tracking on both should be adequate at this point and I believe the Rift S is currently on sale with £50 discount for Christmas.

So now that the tracking has been improved a lot I really still hope for an offical audio solution from Oculus. I think I will message the CEO again on twitter and see if I can get them to respond.

The built in sound is just not good enough and when I put my headphones over the top it's just an uncomfortable compromised experience.

I like the Halo design and the optics are much better then CV1 so what you see is great but CV1 built in audio was great and convenient. 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Comments

• bocajeffbocajeff Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Question - what version of the firmware did you upgrade to? My tracking is very studdery...
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
    Wintermute
    I'm not sure my friend, but I'll post back when I get home from work tonight and let you know :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,689 Volunteer Moderator
    My Rift-S started working great with runtime 1.42.
    But 1.43 and v12 beta broke it again.

Just for the hell of it I spent the last 2 hours trying to get the Rift-S working to try it in Elite. I did get it working once, I got into Elite and the hanger menu screen looked great (better than the CV1). Then as soon as I selected to join the game the tracking died again.

Actually, Elite with no 6DOF tracking doesn't work that bad, you can still look around. HOWEVER, when Elite detects position tracking is lost it applies a washed out desaturated shader to let you know, which makes the game look crap.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,269
    Wintermute
    It says I'm using 2.2.0 at the moment mate. Everything seems ok for the moment.

The one thing I know for sure though is...soon as a new update comes out I'll be stuck in that god awful update loop again and again and again!!! It's such a nightmare when that happens.