New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steamvr Stutter with Link?

Hi! I've been using oculus link since its launch, and oculus store games run completely fine. However, when i launch anything through steamvr, i get an odd stuttering effect. It's almost like i'm running at a lower framerate, which shouldn't be the case since i have plenty GPU and CPU headroom, as well as the fact that it happens while i'm just sitting in the steamvr menu. It makes some games like beat saber unplayable while making most other just incredibly annoying. Does anybody else have this issue? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.

Comments

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    I made the same experience. 

German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    Do you have supersampling enabled in SteamVR? If so, maybe try without it. The pc's compressing the stream before sending to the headset, and the more data it needs to compress 'might' slow things down.
  • giodudegiodude Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Spuzzum said:
    Do you have supersampling enabled in SteamVR? If so, maybe try without it. The pc's compressing the stream before sending to the headset, and the more data it needs to compress 'might' slow things down.
    Happens regardless if it's at 50 percent or 100 percent. 
    3Jane
    Well that sucks.
  • American.DJ1985discoAmerican.DJ1985disco Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    It was caused by having EIST enabled on my motherboard.  Don't overclock any DDR4 memory and disable the eist setting.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,000 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019
    I've had occasional stutter in SteamVR using Link. It happened once when I opened the SteamVR overlay by pressing the left menu button--my frame rate dropped very low. I tried it again later, and it worked without issue. Not sure what the issue was, but it was not consistent, making it harder to troubleshoot.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Brain Burst
    @nalex66 thanks for the information.  By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB of ram and not so many cuda cores.  My motherboard has a z270 chipset and I have 16GB of DDR 4 3000Mhz.   I have 2evo ssd cards as well.  So its likely the cpu because I noticed 100 percent cpu usage by loading oculus home with lots of custom models I imported.  That led me to believe the processor eist was to blame because I have an overclocked i5 cpu.  
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 349
    Trinity
      I've only experienced stuttering once in Fallout 4.out of many hours of playing it with the link cable. If anything I'd have to say the Steam VR games I've been playing run smother than with my CV1 with the same 2.0 SS set in Steam VR.
     I have had a few crashes of the link driver but always when I first start up. A restart of the Quest has resolved each time.Once started, it rarely gives any issues, except "Air Car" , that app crashes every time. 
     The only thing I can think of that I'm doing that others are probably not, is using an older NV driver 425.31 for full 3D vision support.  With Ryzen 2700x and 1080ti
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
    Trinity
      By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB
    3GB is 1GB lower than the Oculus minimum specs. I would say your video card is the bottleneck and if you correct that your oasis awaits. JMO . 
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
    3Jane
    edited December 2019
    ohgrant said:
      By gathering a baseline maybe everyone can pitch in and solve the root issue so Oculus can correct it.  I have a similar build as you but I have a lesser graphics card with 3GB
    3GB is 1GB lower than the Oculus minimum specs. I would say your video card is the bottleneck and if you correct that your oasis awaits. JMO . 

I thought the minimum RAM was 8GB? Windows needs 4GB on it's own.

edit: nevermind...4GB VRAM, not system RAM. My bad. :p
    Trinity
    Spuzzum said:
    ohgrant said:

I think he means 3GB video memory. Oculus requires 8 to even install. 
    3Jane
    ohgrant said:
    Spuzzum said:
    ohgrant said:

I think he means 3GB video memory. Oculus requires 8 to even install. 
    Yeah...that's why I corrected myself. :p
  • giodudegiodude Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    It was caused by having EIST enabled on my motherboard.  Don't overclock any DDR4 memory and disable the eist setting.
    Just to make sure we have the same issue before i try this since it seems the most plausible, both your cpu and GPU are not maxed right? And it happens in the regular steamvr menu?
    Brain Burst
    @giodude Yes, that is correct.
  • udon000udon000 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have same problem only in Steam VR...
  • zhammondzhammond Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 21
    I am having a stutter issue in Steam VR when using the Oculus Link. However, I can wirelessly use Steam VR through virtual desktop with minimal lag. It doesn't really make sense that I am having more trouble with the cable. I have a GTX 970, 24G ram, and an i7-4790K. 

Edit: Turns out I just needed to close everything else running on my computer (Not necessary for me when running Virtual Desktop). I guess with the Oculus Link you have both Oculus and SteamVR running but with Virtual Desktop you only need SteamVR running. I guess this makes a significant enough difference in the load on your computer.
  • Should_be_BlueShould_be_Blue Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    Did you allready tried Opencomposite to bypass SteamVR?

To run Vr games from Steam over Opencomposite instead off SteamVR helps me alot with No Mans Sky VR. Its not perfect at all, but way less shuttering as running over SteamVR.

I am on Ryzen 7 3700x and RTX 2080 Super and Oculus Link. With SteamVR i barely wasnt able to run NMS on "Advanced" Settings without anoying shuttering and freezings. With Opencomposite i am able to run on High Settings with almost no issues. Well, NMS is still a mess with performance, but for example Boneworks works perfect.

• CodyPlayzGamezCodyPlayzGamez Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. Oculus Store games run amazing, but SteamVR games run really stuttery. OpenComposite helped with my SteamVR games, but then when I tried my Oculus Games again the reverse was happening. With OpenComposite, my Oculus Store games were running stuttery, but my SteamVR games weren't.
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same here. My controllers are stuttering in SteamVR home and games. Open Composite can fix it but some games are not compatible (The Lab or Boneworks). I've tested on a Rift S and same issue. W10 fresh install, nothing else running, and again these stuttering. I'm afraid Half Life Alyx won't be compatible with Open Composite so the VD solution is an option but latency holds me back...
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • DantaqDantaq Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hello guys I had a problem with low framerate in Skyrim VR. I get 45 fps by Oculus Link 72 fps by Vrtual Desktop so I knew there is a problem with Oculus software. It even used 80% of my GPU on VD 30%...I have rtx2080 with i75820K so you should see my face. After hours of looking in last option I have changed resolution on desktop from 2560x1080 to 1920x1080 from 144hz to 60hz and that completly resolve the problem. Everything works like it should. I hope that helps.
  • raronraron Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 28
    I've been wondering if running my display at 144Hz would affect VR performance, and also resolution. I'm also using a 2560x1440 monitor, GTX 1080 Ti and currently intel i7-4790. And yes I noticed the stutter in SteamVR (the plain "horizon" VR space, or what it's called. Not even SteamVR Home), particularly stutter when strafing! Some good tips here, thanks!

Nvm, just had a really good VR session, without applying any fixes here. SteamVR didn't even stutter. All I've done is turning off SteamVR Home.