New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S or Quest

hferg81hferg81 Posts: 3
NerveGear
I am planning on getting a VR system tomorrow. I had originally planned on getting the Rift S due to it having a MUCH better games library than the Quest, but then tonight I saw something about a Quest Link that would allow me to play Rift games on my Quest. This leaves me with several questions:
If I buy a game (say, Marvel Powers Unite) on the Rift that's not available on Quest, can I then download it to my Quest and play it without the PC?
Can the Quest (or the Rift, for that matter, though I believe it can, at least) play Steam VR games?
What exactly is the "Virtual Desktop" that I've seen mentioned several places anyway?

Comments

• NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    The answer to your question is no. The Quest can only play Quest games when it is not connected to your PC. When it is connected to your PC the "Quest" part is essentially disabled and your headset becomes a display for the PC, just like a Rift S. You can then play Rift games while you are tethered though the Link technology. And yes you can play Steam games on a Quest while it is connected to the PC.

I have both a Rift and a Quest. If I didn't have anything, I would purchase the Quest because it can be used stand alone, or connected to a PC. The Quest's display is superior to the CV1 with the exception that it only runs at 72hz, though I have not noticed a difference in use (while running Link). The Rift S has a faster screen, but is an LCD so the blacks are not as crisp. The future of Oculus is not Rift, it is Quest, or whatever Quest's successor will be.

Virtual Desktop allows you to see your computer's desktop inside of the headset rather than the Oculus Home environment in addition to other things.
  • hferg81hferg81 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the help. After looking at a few of the games I do have one more question: It talks in a few about "Cross Buy" between Rift and Quest versions. Does that mean that if I get one I automatically get them both?
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 375
    Trinity
    hferg81 said:
    Thanks for the help. After looking at a few of the games I do have one more question: It talks in a few about "Cross Buy" between Rift and Quest versions. Does that mean that if I get one I automatically get them both?
    Yeah, as long as the game is cross buy you get it on both.
  • hferg81hferg81 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    All right. Some mention cross buy some don't, but I saw several that said both Rift AND Oculus. How do I know if it is or not?
  • TwrchTrwyddTwrchTrwydd Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    google for "oculus cross buy"