cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DON'T waste your money on UGREEN cables, they are advertised to work with the Quest Link, they don't

Chaoss
Expert Protege
I've just recieved my supposed USB3 to USB-c cable that is advertised to work with the Oculus Quest Link, all excited to finally get to play it only to be greeted by the dreaded "USB 3 connection required" error and no PC found. DARN IT!!

There seems to be a lot of false advertising going on on Amazon regarding cables that supposedly woork with the Quest so be careful out there
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
7 REPLIES 7

enigma01
Trustee
I have a Ugreen extension cable. Works faultlessly. Bit unfair to blanket say Ugreen cables don’t work with Link, when they actually do.

Chaoss
Expert Protege
It says right there in the title it works, but it clearly does not

"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

enigma01
Trustee
it’s advertised as a fast charge cable, it’s not charging the headset?. Looking at the advertised data transfer speed it can’t be usb 3.0, it must be usb 2.0 and why it won’t run Link. My Ugreen extension lead does work though, with an Anker USB 3.0 cable.

Chaoss
Expert Protege
I did get a UGREEN 1m USB extension cable (came as a set of 2), but using that obviously doesn't work. I'm really annoyed as I cannot keep wasting money on cables hoping they'll work. I should have learned my lesson not to use Amazon as they have gotten really bad in my country lately. I was looking forward to spending time in Oculus Home all day today I',m really annoyed that it doesn't work. My USB-C to USB-C cable works but its only 0.5m and none of the various USB to USB-C phone charging cables (which are all 1m or less) work either. I've ordered a 3m USB-C to USB-C cable from a reputable retailer which will get here tomorrow

enigma01
Trustee
Just because a cable is usb c, doesn’t mean it’s going to be high speed data. Just make sure you check the specifications, link needs at least usb 3.0 and the data transfer should be at least 5Gbps. 

I totally feel your disappointment, but the Ugreen cable you purchased was advertised as a charging cable with only 480Mbps data transfer.

Chaoss
Expert Protege
bx26f5jw3dha.png

Yeah it's a charging cable, so they're advertising it as being able to charge the Quest which is all you could do with any cable when that advert was created (apart from transfer data at USB 2 speeds). Link was only announced as being a thing recently.

The advert needs to be updated but it's inevitable that this is going to cause confusion until cable manufacturers and retailers are aware of the existence of Link and its requirements and update their adverts.

In the mean time we've stuck a thread on Link cable, which ones work and which don't on the top of the forum to help people out until Oculus start selling an official cable.

Edit: If you don't mind, I'll close this thread as it's better to keep all the Link cable posts in one place to help people keep up to date on this.