New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift not detected after PC restart

philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 2019 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Well the thread about this issue appears to have been deleted... so here we go again...

Everytime I power on my computer I have to replug my USB cable to make my Rift S work.

Any idea what the problem is?

Comments

• fra700fra700 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    There isn't solution, only a supporter service that makes you waste your time. If you've bought it in the last month then hurry up and send it to assistance. Later will be too late and you'll lose your money like me.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    fra700 said:
    There isn't solution, only a supporter service that makes you waste your time. If you've bought it in the last month then hurry up and send it to assistance. Later will be too late and you'll lose your money like me.
    Should not lose money, Rift S has not been out long enough to exceed the warranty period yet...

Rift S is very picky about USB 3 ports, best to try one that does not share it's hub with other devices if you can.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • fishhuntfishhunt Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2019
    when i boot up my computer it only shows up in device manager 1"rift usb hub" so it wont work
    only thing I get it to work to take out usb and put it back in. then shows up in device manager 2 "rift usb hub 
    I have a desktop and a laptop I have do this on both of them
    on my laptop it says unknown usb device(port reset failed) I think its something with windows 10 not picking up oculus usb drivers ,only had oculus rift s few days still learning never had these issues on my old rift. I have contact oculus support about it.

Update from oculus support

Let's make sure that Windows power management is disabled:

·        Open the

·        Under Related settings, click Additional power settings.

·        Select the High Performance power plan. If this option is not available, select Balanced.

·        Click Change plan settings next to your selected plan.

·        Click Change advanced power settings.

·        Expand USB settings and set USB selective suspend setting to** Disabled**.

While I look into this further for you, I would like to collect some additional information:

·        Full name, shipping address and phone number

·        Oculus username and/or email address associated with your account

·        Headset serial number: which can be found by removing the headset facial interface, and starts with "1WMGH"

·        Unit serial number: which is located on the bottom of the black box and starts with "1WMVR"

·        Retail receipt or invoice including item, retailer, price, and date -OR- Oculus order number

If it's determined that a replacement is required, a payment method will need to be added to your account in order to proceed. We recommend you add one now while we continue to review your case. Please note that this is a system requirement and you will not be charged. Instructions for adding a payment method can be found 

Brain Burst
    Has any one tried it in a usb3.1
  • andrea.davieroandrea.daviero Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    I have the same issues, at the first installation it worked with no issues. When I restarted the PC after shut down, I was no more able to use rift-s. What I did was to completely remove the drivers from the device manager (eliminating also the software). At the next oculus opening, it installed default drivers (generic USB and USB HUB superspeed generic) and it works every time I open close the oculus software or I use steam VR. The issue that remains is at system boot. I need always to unplug/plug the rift. I don't think that the life of the USB will last forever doing Always plug/unplug.

I sent ticket, received answer, with no useful tips (except for switching off power saving, which could help for other devices).

Definetly is a software (drivers) issue. I'll buy a USB hub to be installed on my PC, but I doubt it will help.

• welsolwelsol Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    fishhunt said:
    Has any one tried it in a usb3.1
    I tried it but it was useless
    Brain Burst
    I'm using one of the on board USB3.1 Type2 ports. It appears the only port I use as type2 and for this reason, the other USB ports (I think) use different motherboard controller. However, on my PC I only have 5 ports used: Mouse, keyboard, joystick, throttle, oculus.
    Already tried every port, and already tried to remove most equipment (joy and throttle). No difference.
    I really doubt that is an USB hub related problem as a lot of people is experiencing troubles.
    Also, the oculus, once it is working, it works with no issues. So, the USB is not the problem.
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the same issues, at the first installation it worked with no issues. When I restarted the PC after shut down, I was no more able to use rift-s. What I did was to completely remove the drivers from the device manager (eliminating also the software). At the next oculus opening, it installed default drivers (generic USB and USB HUB superspeed generic) and it works every time I open close the oculus software or I use steam VR. The issue that remains is at system boot. I need always to unplug/plug the rift. I don't think that the life of the USB will last forever doing Always plug/unplug.

I sent ticket, received answer, with no useful tips (except for switching off power saving, which could help for other devices).

Definetly is a software (drivers) issue. I'll buy a USB hub to be installed on my PC, but I doubt it will help.

I tried powered USB hub, it didn't help.
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2019
    when i boot my computer up with my oculus rift s connected, in device manager  "oculus usb hub" and "unknown usb device(port reset failed) " like said before think windows 10 put there usb drivers in when you boot up not oculus usb drivers if you take it out the usb then put it back in all works perfect then you look device manager you will see 2 "oculus usb hub"   Microsoft usb drivers automatically gets put in when you boot up the computer is there any way to get the oculus drivers stay in on boot up
    Brain Burst
    If you have a device called "oculus" it mean that the original oculus rift drivers are still installed. Right click on it and uninstall the drivers. Windows will ask if you want to completely remove the software, click yes.
    It should work.
    Brain Burst
    done that uninstall the drivers keeps putting the Microsoft usb drivers in when booting up
  • HelcionHelcion Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    For me it helped to plug it into the USB3 Gen2 Ports on my motherboard. Those where from ASmedia. But then i had the problem that VR would stutter as soon as i turned my head. What fixed this was to install the drivers from ASmedia and not using the Microsoft drivers.

i cant post links but i googled
    "asmedia usb 3.1 gen 2 driver" and used the link from PCgameshardware.

Maybe you can solve this problems if you find other Drivers for your USB ports or other versions since my intel and my Nvidia USB drivers are from microsoft. And even when i use the USB-C connection on my nvidia card i have this problem.

Edit: It seems the problem is not solved. i dont have the restartbug but the tracking on 3.1 is much worse then on the 3.0. maybe it is possible to find better drivers for the 3.0 intel ports.
  • dougctrdougctr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same problem.  I have a ticked submitted.  I have been going through all of the typical fix steps, uninstall drivers, set USB power to always on, disable sleep on USB ports, etc.  Nothing seems to help.  Power on, reboot, wake from sleep, all create a USB error.  I have to unplug and plug the RIft S USB cable back in.  Tried multiple USB ports with no luck.
  • SuperBigBangSuperBigBang Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    welsol сказал:
    рыбная охота сказала:
    Кто-нибудь пробовал это в usb3.1
    Я попробовал это, но это было бесполезно
    Я тоже пробовал, не работает ни в одном порту.

And if you stick in USB 2.0, you can see the boot image, the sound will work, no problems with the DisplayPort, you can even update the firmware.
  • Ou71and3rOu71and3r Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem with my HP Omen Gaming Notebook. When i unplug and plug Rift S is working fine until the next reboot. Device manager show "port reset failed". So i`m looking for a solution, is there a one or we are stuck in this issue?
  • Ou71and3rOu71and3r Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Guys, i found workaround. If Oculus Rift S refuse to start due to port reset failed, just put the PC into sleep mode and wake him. Oculus will just fine after that.  
  • SirBaconSTSirBaconST Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have been working this issue out for over a week now and I finally got a solution. Though it may be temporary until Oculus can figure out why, but how I got it to stop failing after resetting or booting, is to plug the USB cable to a 3.0/3.1 hub with an external DC plug providing power to it. Those hubs have a dedicated port that will give power directly to it for charging larger tablets, power hungry phones or power hungry accessories while still transmitting data to the USB port on your motherboard without drawing power from the port on your PC itself. The only catch to this is that port is powered constantly whether the PC is on or not. So you're going to have to disconnect the power everytime you're done with the headset, or as I have it set up, plugged into the power strip and flip the switch when my session of the day is done.
  • Rich5201Rich5201 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem here too so looking forward to some input from Oculus. Tried various things as above but still randomly not initilaised on power up. It is listed in device manager OK but oculus app doesnt find it or sometimes finds headset but cant find controllers.
  • Rich5201Rich5201 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    FYI. I think there is a workaround using the system tool devcon.exe to reboot the Oculus from a cmd window. Unfortunately this tool requires an SDK to be installed so is not for the faint hearted! The following dos commands works for me:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64
    devcon restart USB\VID_2833*

Note it will only work if you have the situation I have where the Oculus shows up in USB list but isnt recognised by app.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    Wow this is BS on Oculus part ... why they not talk to us about it ?  I have this problem since only last few months and before Rift S worked fine on same PC since I got the S last year.  Surely someone there has a clue and can fix this or provide some workaround so we do not have to unplug/plug the usb port evertime we reboot or turn on the PC  ?

This crap is really ridiculous at this point as its been going on far too long now. :#
  • TK.PrinceTK.Prince Posts: 63 Oculus Start Member
    very too long now ... 
  • b.timofteb.timofte Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem :( I need to unplug the USB cable every time i power off/on my PC :(
  • jannykjannyk Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem