New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Boneworks Released Available Now

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,155 Valuable Player
edited December 2019 in General
Not sure why this game is only discussed in the Index thread but Boneworks releases today via Steam ($29.99). I believe around 7pm this evening GMT.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/823500/BONEWORKS/

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,954 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    So we'll need 2080 (Ti) for the Index - or it's res 60 %  :s  :p 

"Graphics: GTX 1080 / 2060super or greater for Rift CV1+Touch, Original Vive 90hz, and RiftS 80hz"

Really hope the game has native Oculus driver support if my worst fears come true - and they nearly always do  :#

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    Thanks mate!!! I came to these forums today just to find out when this releases!!!!!

Wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!

So so so so so so excited for tonight!!!!!!!  :D
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited December 2019
    And according to the answers I've got there will be no salvation for the weak - no ASW 2.0 - no native Oculus driver support  :'(

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/discussions/0/1754646299858878260/

Man, do I really have to use the Index?  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited December 2019
    Deleted, I should not make fun of anticipated performance problems before I've got solid evidence  o:) And maybe we're in for a surprise - devs have said the current system requirements are estimated and not based on final performance. 

edited December 2019

Really hope there're still shadows like this in the game:

• MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 518
    Neo
    I can’t wait. I’m trying not to get over hyped! 
    Hmmm, today I have some hours of spare time for myself. A perfect time to download Boneworks, but it's still 2 hours away, sigh   

Image result for garfield waiting bored

BTW, seems like there'll be a new trailer soon:

Project 2501
    I just noticed the title of the thread updated to 6pm! I won't be home until about 9pm damn it! Still looking forward to it though.

Let us know how amazing it is guys once you've tried it!  ;)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited December 2019
    Price €25, 13GB, but just 5.2GB download - some videos (the first link is the new trailer, but it may be adults only - I could not post it on Valve Index Reddit, nor does it expand in this post):

https://youtu.be/oP8C2nmv3Ag

Time to put the youngest son to bed and read him a story, still have 1 hour to kill  o:)

For reasons completely unknown, after starting to download Boneworks there's a song I'm starting to hear in my mind  :o

I won't be home until about 9pm damn it! Still looking forward to it though.
    Don't worry - I'll let you know how the game ends! ;)

Project 2501
    RuneSR2 said:
    I won't be home until about 9pm damn it! Still looking forward to it though.
    Don't worry - I'll let you know how the game ends! ;)
    hahahaha

I highly doubt that my friend! - They said 15 hours worth of game-play!!!

Exciting times!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,634 Volunteer Moderator
    Launch trailer looks good. I don't know when I'll get a chance to play it, but I went ahead and bought it.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,155 Valuable Player
    Launch trailer

nalex66 said:
    Launch trailer looks good. I don't know when I'll get a chance to play it, but I went ahead and bought it.
    The 11 year old son is in his bed, the wife is upstairs, time for me to enter the Boneworks Index portal in the basement, Knuckles are fully energized!  o:)

edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    nalex66 said:
    The 11 year old son is in his bed, the boneworks is upstairs, time for me to enter the wife Index portal in the basement, Knuckles are fully energized!  o:)
     :o 

I will accept any warning/ban I just couldn't help myself. :p

edited December 2019
    I can take it ;)

- and I'm back after an interesting journey. In short, Boneworks feels like the very first game to really show off the Index - in almost every way. 

Spoiler-free first impressions
    You start in a large but rather boring room, and I immediately noticed perfect 90 fps. And even though this was just Index res 100%, everything looked amazing - and very sharp. I checked settings, and everything was maxed out (4xMSAA), but shadows were = MED. I changed shadows to MAX, but got same performance, because there weren't any shadows in the room.
    Later on I felt like pushing my luck, I opened SteamVR settings and tried res 150%, but still got perfect 90 fps  :o  Then I took a deep breath and went for the magic res 200% - and amazingly I still got perfect 90 fps! Using 200% I really couldn't tell 2xMSAA from 4XMSAA, but 0xMSAA did cause jaggies - so I went for 2xMSAA + res 200% - and these are my current settings. For now I've got no need for a 3080 Ti in this game, but I've not been into any massive combat situations, might have to lower settings then, but for now I get solid 90 fps. So why did the devs publish such high system requirements? Maybe later levels are more demanding, but the first levels should work fine even using GTX 970 (res 100%). 

The first two levels are tutorial levels where you get exposed to the game mechanics. I was worried about using a 7700K, because devs mentioned that you needed a lot of cpu power - but I'm yet to find a place that really taxes my cpu, at least the first two levels (including the Museum) did not. 

Polygon levels aren't high - probably like something between native Quest games and Asgard's Wrath, but closer to the Quest ;) That said, textures are the best I have ever seen in a VR game - if we consider the best textures in Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath to be of 2K-ish quality, then Boneworks would reach 4K-ish levels (just check the teddy bear in the first level, amazing right?). There're several middel/low-res textures in Boneworks, but seeing the high-res textures is like seeing photorealistic textures for the first time, or close. Like using a microscope - when you get really close you can see tons of details. It looks real - for the first time (yeah, might have said that about Lone Echo two years ago, but this time I mean it - I think :blush: ). 

Sound is again on another level with the Index - I did not feel any lack of bass. Testing guns made me more or less deaf - so beware - it felt as noisy as shooting a real gun. Might have to lower the volume next time - but when you don't shoot the volume is fine (I used the standard volume set in-game (=8) with max vol set in SteamVR Home). 

Physics are nice, but not perfect - Index has the best hands I've ever seen in any VR game (again ultra-res textures show your skin like it's real), and you have full finger tracking, it just feels - real. Some movements feel too slow, and the grip function could be better. Throwing stuff wasn't as intuitive as I'd like. Then again, this game feels more like a physics simulator, and may require some patience.

The tutorial may be too long for impatient persons, but I guess you can run through it quite fast (maybe there was an option to skip it). For now I can't say much about the gameplay, just spent close to 1 hour enjoying the tutorial. 

Lack of shadows and relatively low poly count make the game look more dull, but then again you got the most awesome textures, so I guess I can't complain. I don't get the impression that this is an AAA-ish game like Lone Echo, Stormland or Asgard's Wrath, but Boneworks is very unique and stands tall on its own. Boneworks also has a very strong Half-Life vibe, I've only scratched the surface and I'm looking forward to getting back tomorrow. 

edited December 2019
    PS. I couldn't help thinking that the devs optimized this game for 120 Hz - because I'm sure I could use 120 Hz res 100% with the Index with no trouble. But I like res 200% more than 120 Hz ;)

The current 523 reviews on Steam are "very positive". 

Like I said, works fine with a GTX 970 - maybe  ;)

Boneworks hype is real, anyone worried need not. Half Life Alyx is going to be mindblowing.

I've only put about ten minutes into boneworks, just got up to the part where you did a little jumping puzzle but holy shit everything just WORKS. I'm using an Oculus with Touch and minus the fingers looking funny at times this is just absolutely crazy, the biggest leap in VR tech I've seen since the headsets hit the market. I'm also not running on the best pc, just an i7 with a 970 and it looks and plays amazingly, albiet the loading screens are a bit long.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e8xk1s/boneworks_hype_is_real_anyone_worried_need_not/

edited December 2019
    UploadVR review = 4/5:

https://uploadvr.com/boneworks-review/

I think the say there are 6 hours of story content. 

edited December 2019
    Well a lot of the neg reviews are either motion sickness based, the body model getting in the way or WMR not working yet. That's  a big stinker right there but Stress Level are fixing it sharpish. Interesting you now feel the game OK without dynamic shadows? Maybe they will add them back in the future?

• JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    I'm not leaving a negative review, because it seems like I'm an outlier... but does anyone else have crappy performance?

I have two different computers for VR -- one an i7 4790K with 1080ti and one an i7 8750H Laptop with 2070 (Not MaxQ).  I've tried on both with no super sampling and both medium and low graphics settings, and I can't seem to get consistent framerates without stuttering.  I've had no performance issues with most games -- Stormlands, Asgard's Wrath, Modded Skyrim VR for example.  But this one doesn't seem to play nice with either of my systems.

I've refunded for now -- might try again if they release patches with significant performance improvements.  The game looks like a lot of fun, and it already has over 680 reviews with 83% of them positive so far.

Edit:  I see that their recommended CPU is the i7 7700k, which is about 11% higher effective speed over the 4790k.  I figured my 4.7 GHz stable overclock would mitigate the difference, but it might just be showing its 5-year age.
    Well a lot of the neg reviews are either motion sickness based, the body model getting in the way or WMR not working yet. That's  a big stinker right there but Stress Level are fixing it sharpish. Interesting you now feel the game OK without dynamic shadows? Maybe they will add them back in the future?

Lack of dynamic shadows is a disappointment, but as mentioned in return you do get some of the most awesome textures and the performance is great - at least in the start of the game. Note that you do have dynamic shadows in the game, but restricted to certain locations - which I'm yet to see ;) They show some in the new trailer. 

Maybe I should mention that I've not tested the game with the CV1, but only the Index. Because CV1 will not be able to use ASW 2.0 in the game, maybe minor dips below 90 fps will become very noticable - and not being able to use native Oculus driver support could impact performance.  

• zork2001zork2001 Posts: 563
    Trinity
    edited December 2019
    played for 45 minutes today until I got eye strain motion sick because I cant do free locomotion. I don't know it is definitely an experience all long time VR players should play but at the same time it is really jankey  and really slow in alot of parts which is a shame. I  also noticed a reuse of the same assist to a point of failure, plus a lot of these assists are poor quality models and textures that you can't even use. Take something like vacation simulator where everything in the lobby is not only something you can pick up but can also use. I can turn the radio dial to different station, I can turn on the tv and put a game in the console and play it, I can turn on the computer and use it, I can poor liquid into cups on and on. Nothing works in boneworks it is all just poor texture mapped models you can pick up. You cant even open any of the books, seriously going into 2020 when you put a book into VR I should be able to open it to at least a few pages of information. This sold object book with a cover bull shit is over.

As far as performance with a 1080 ti  I was not getting any judder with my head but I noticed a lot of places my arms would start juddering and missing frames. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Ben's not super impressed with the GAME itself (3/5 score):
    https://www.roadtovr.com/boneworks-review/
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited December 2019
    Wildt said:
    Ben's not super impressed with the GAME itself (3/5 score):
    https://www.roadtovr.com/boneworks-review/
    He's probably spot on - again I've only completed the first 2 tutorial levels, but this game feels like a physics simulator. Also it seems that Boneworks is treated like the second coming of Christ to many Vive/Index users who are mad at Oculus for making exclusive software. It's probably time to face the fact that Boneworks is not even close to giants like Stormland, Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo - thinking back I'm sure even Chronos and Windland 2 impressed me more during the first hour. So Boneworks seems not to be a flagship, but a much smaller boat. I was thinking yesterday that the tutorial levels were way too long, like designed by young game developers with limited experience, which Ben to some degree seems to back up in his conclusion regarding the pacing:

Boneworks offers up a rich sandbox of physics-driven gameplay which can magical when it works right and frustrating (or downright uncomfortable) when it doesn't. Detailed weapon interactions and enjoyable slow-motion shooting aside, combat is largely devoid of challenge and interesting enemies—the player, it seems, is expected to do the heavy lifting of embellishing the combat with their own sense of fun. Puzzles don't establish overarching concepts and instead come off as singular moments despite being part of a linear story mode. The totality of the game lacks effective pacing as it bounces back and forth from puzzle to combat with little sense of synergy and no apparent climax. For those that are compelled by Boneworks' combat, the Arena and Sandbox modes offer up a great opportunity for extended gameplay, though we would have liked to see an emphasis on user-generated levels so that the community might flesh out concepts that didn't hit their stride in the campaign.

Hype will always lead to disappointment and Boneworks has been hyped to the max. The WMR issue still isn't fixed I believe so a lot of the neg reviews are justified in my opinion. As a WMR user I would hate to buy the game and it not work as advertised. A number of developers release games that are in need of further updates but don't mark them as Early Access Espire 1 springs to mind as well.  At least with Oculus games they work out the gate right?

;) 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Yeah, the QA seems awful on a lot of VR titles these days. In fact it's sometimes so poor, that you're tempted to believe it's a conscious decision to release it with a lot of known, but not published issues.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb