New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 295 Oculus Staff
Update 1/6/2020: We've seen some positive results from the latest PTC update we pushed out late last week so we're now starting to roll that out to the live, non-PTC channel as well. As always, if you experience issues, please utilize the Help Center > Provide feedback option within the desktop software or contact customer support. Thanks!

Important notes:

• In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • In an effort to simplify our software update processes, we are aligning the software version numbers across all of our products. You will see this reflected starting in this release (v12). We will continue to post separate release notes for our PC software and the standalone / mobile headset software. For more information on our release processes, please review this FAQ post.

Rift S
  • New social features powered by Facebook – Starting today, when you choose to log into Facebook from Oculus, you’ll be able to access new social features that make it easier for you to connect with other people, including:
    • Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together
    • Join your friends in VR directly from any device with links that open to where your friends are within an app.
    • User-created Events, so you can organize meetups or multiplayer games with friends
    • Share photos, videos, and livestreaming to Facebook, allowing you to share your favorite moments to Facebook Groups from VR
    • Parties that any of your Oculus friends can join (previously parties were only invite-only)
  • We’re updating the Oculus Privacy Policy to clarify that these social features are also provided by Facebook. The updated Privacy Policy clarifies how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.
  • Updated firmware to improve performance
Fixes
  • Various bug fixes and stability improvements
If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!

Comments

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 400
    Trinity
    edited December 2019
    What? How about CV1? Is it's update line killed and buried? Edit: I mean there reads Rift S AND Rift, but no updates for "old" timer?
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 562
    Neo
    Netheri said:
    What? How about CV1? Is it's update line killed and buried? Edit: I mean there reads Rift S AND Rift, but no updates for "old" timer?

All us Rift S users got were fixes, what do you need ? If it ain't broke no reason to try fixin it :)
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • SkateZillaSkateZilla Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    edited December 2019
    Just got done re-freshing (re-installing windows, thanks to AMD's driver problem),

Oculus Setup Crashed the AMD Driver the 1st time, the 2nd-4th time so far, it stops at "installing" and says something went wrong to restart windows and try again.

So:
    Install Try #1, Crashes atikmdag.sys (Blue Screen for Service Ecxeption)
    Install Try #2, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
    Install Try #3, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
    Install Try #4, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
    Cleared the Oculus Download Cache/Temp Folder
    Install Try #5, Crashes atikmdag.sys again.

There's a bunch of users w/ Custom PCB 7970s that are having problems installing any Driver after 18.12.1.1 for AMD, and I think the problem maybe Oculus.

(I had Oculus on my system first during my April Rebuild before I installed AMD's drivers).

So,
    AMD Drivers being installed after Oculus leads to a BSOD Loop for atikmdag.sys Service Exception.
    AMD Drivers being installed before Oculus leads to a BSOD Crash during setup, in the last little bit of the progress bar, just when you hear the sound for a device being taken off.

• SkateZillaSkateZilla Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Unplugging my rift HDMI until after setup stopped the crashes
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,066 Valuable Player
    I wonder why Oculus does not just go ahead and run a PTC for the Quest software also, so uses of Link that are running the latest PTC for Rift S and opt into the PTC for Quest and remain on same version.
    Seems like Quest is getting more meat on the bone so to speak in the updates, and having a PTC for it also might be pretty beneficial. Would help for those running Oculus Link.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,016 Volunteer Moderator
    Agreed, the lack of control over update timing is putting me off switching to Link rather than using my CV1. (That and the ongoing microphone dysfunction with Link, although this one isn't as big an issue for me because I'm not playing a lot of MP games at the moment).

ShowbizDonkey did mention that they are working on improving this situation for future updates,so that's something.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 400
    Trinity
    ShocksVR said:
    Netheri said:

All us Rift S users got were fixes, what do you need ? If it ain't broke no reason to try fixin it :)
    I would need non-lagging Home 2 start in every time i start the VR-system and i would also need working panel pullout also from second monitor instead of exclamation marked panels. There's couple of biggies for starters.
    [email protected] 5/4.9GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1 USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card.
    Natively Homeless (2.0) Dash, it's a working victory!
  • AkmenosAkmenos Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    Hi, i have Oculus Rift, since this release, i have no sound on launched games by Oculus App, on the same game launched by steam vr I have sound. Before this i had sound in game :)

Edit: I have sound on my "VR Home" only
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 295 Oculus Staff
    Quick update: we've added some social bullets to the release notes that reflect the new features outlined in this morning's blog post.
  • AkmenosAkmenos Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Akmenos said:
    Hi, i have Oculus Rift, since this release, i have no sound on launched games by Oculus App, on the same game launched by steam vr I have sound. Before this i had sound in game :)

Edit: I have sound on my "VR Home" only
    If Someone have the same problem, a little workaround: you can just add non-steam game on steam and launch with steam et sound be back :D
  • NeoEdoNeoEdo Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Before today's driver update (12/11) the tracking with my Touch controllers was smooth. After the update, the controllers/virtual hands are "jittery" when moving them around. As if they skip a beat, per se.
    This issue did happen before the update when I had tried the Beta Channel. When I saw this happening, I switched back to non-beta and, again, everything was smooth. But after today, since it was officially released; I can't downgrade the driver to have smooth tracking anymore. None too pleased about that.
    (I tried a repair, but to no avail)

I might post this in the support forum, as well. :s

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,654 Valuable Player
    My beta ptc 12.0 just got an update today.  I presume this is = final.

Oculus app version 12.0.0.191.268 (12.0.0.191.268)

All seems to work fine with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• OrangeWOrangeW Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    NeoEdo said:
    Before today's driver update (12/11) the tracking with my Touch controllers was smooth. After the update, the controllers/virtual hands are "jittery" when moving them around. As if they skip a beat, per se.
    This issue did happen before the update when I had tried the Beta Channel. When I saw this happening, I switched back to non-beta and, again, everything was smooth. But after today, since it was officially released; I can't downgrade the driver to have smooth tracking anymore. None too pleased about that.

Also seeing this in my version.

This is very disappointing considering this was posted about numerous times in the PTC thread.

OrangeW said:
    NeoEdo said:

Also seeing this in my version.

This is very disappointing considering this was posted about numerous times in the PTC thread.

Sorry to hear some are still having problems with 12.0.  Those with problems should contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  This will include sending in log files (very easy to do and this is explained well during the ticket process).  Otherwise, it will be virtually impossible for Oculus to track down and fix these issues imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• maxsvldzmaxsvldz Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    This update fucked up my framerate. Thanks oculus
  • PedroTMPedroTM Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    The 12.0 update caused constant stutter for me as well.  Using Rift CV1 with 1080ti and 9900k.  Everything was working perfectly prior to this update.

Several threads about this on Oculus subreddit as well.  This is not a few isolated cases... hoping for a fix soon as games are essentially unplayable in this state.
    PedroTM said:
    The 12.0 update caused constant stutter for me as well.  Using Rift CV1 with 1080ti and 9900k.  Everything was working perfectly prior to this update.

Several threads about this on Oculus subreddit as well.  This is not a few isolated cases... hoping for a fix soon as games are essentially unplayable in this state.
    I basically have exactly the same setup (see my signature) and I'm not having any problems.  Maybe make sure you are not using Sleep/Hibernate.  I've found that in the past if you do not do a complete shutdown, then restart, updates and drivers do not get installed properly.  Also, when you startup the Oculus app you may try logging out (friends tab) and then loging in again.  This sometimes helps.  

You can also try manually reinstalling Oculus drivers by going into your Oculus dir, find them, then install.  See this link;

https://support.oculus.com/222030444888073/

Of course you should also send your logfiles to oculus support as well.  I hope you guys find a fix for your current 12.0 issues.

• ThomasphoenixThomasphoenix Posts: 15
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2019
    my system crashed with the build 12 ptc, it was on a install oculus firmware loop for my rift S. After restart oculus software would keep asking for firmware update and when I press ok the same message again, I sent the log files to oculus and raised a ticket . After that I restored windows and went back to non ptc build. I haven't even seen a whisper of acknowledgment about this from oculus. Can I keep using the earlier build? I'm scared this will lead me to another restore situation.
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2019
    Rift S
    After headset put down , and after few min later (no touch HMD) , and then if I put on my head - very much time in HMD no picture but hourglass icon only :(
    And if I at that moment playing game,game closed with error window
    It looks like the helmet is falling asleep and cannot get out of sleep
    ...Disabling USB in power settings is prohibited!
    ...All USB in Device Manager - checkbox disabled
  • The_MadhatterThe_Madhatter Posts: 8
    Brain Burst

This update rendered my CV1 completely useless. I have frame drops all the time. Fun fact: If the sensors don't receive signals through motion, the frame rate is fine. A soon as you start moving, the performance is all over the place. Could confirm this behavior with the OculusDebugTool :(

• eahoneneahonen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hello, I have a Rift S and after the update my frame rate has dropped drastically - from mostly solid 80 fps to 40-60 fps - in Assetto Corsa Competizione racing game. My other racing games (Dirt Rally, original Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2) seemed to run normally. ACC is built on Unreal Engine and I wonder if that might have something to do with the problem?
  • BysolonBysolon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    eahonen said:
    Hello, I have a Rift S and after the update my frame rate has dropped drastically - from mostly solid 80 fps to 40-60 fps - in Assetto Corsa Competizione racing game. My other racing games (Dirt Rally, original Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2) seemed to run normally. ACC is built on Unreal Engine and I wonder if that might have something to do with the problem?
    I'm having exactly the same FPS problem dropped from 80 to 40 in Assetto corsa competizione

edited December 2019
    eahonen said:
    How about Robo Recall = same Unreal Engine 4?

Also, what nvidia driver?  I'm using 436.48 because I think it is the most stable right now.  Also, Win10 1909 with latest updates.

Edit; I just tried Robo Recall and it works fine with my Rift CV1.  I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Very sorry to say this, and I hope I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot of one-post wonders (or very low 1-4  post count wonders) polluting/trolling this and other forums right now imho.

I'm not really sure what can be done about this but for now I will not be offering any further  advice to any one-post wonders that have not at least seemed to try to get answers with a little Googling, or who have not started a ticket with Oculus Support.

• LokertrLokertr Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019
    I am having terrible performance as well. I am constantly getting ASW on my Rift S. I have a 1080 and a Ryzen 7 1700. Movement is jittery. I attempted disabling gsync. I also disabled ASW entirely and see frame rates hitting about 50FPS. When my frame rate is down I am seeing App Miss Submit Count climbing into the thousands of frames a minute. While all this is going on my available headroom is usually at 99%+ and looking at task manager I am utilizing 30% or less of my CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Logs were submitted to Oculus, but so far no response or acknowledgement. Probably busy with all the new Quest owners given how they have been selling out everywhere.
  • LokertrLokertr Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited December 2019

• The_MadhatterThe_Madhatter Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    I realized that the framedrops issue is even present in the Oculus Home Menu. It is not specifically tied to any app.

• wheel80iewheel80ie Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Very sorry to say this, and I hope I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot of one-post wonders (or very low 1-4  post count wonders) polluting/trolling this and other forums right now imho.

I'm not really sure what can be done about this but for now I will not be offering any further  advice to any one-post wonders that have not at least seemed to try to get answers with a little Googling, or who have not started a ticket with Oculus Support.

One-post wonder here. Sorry, why should I not openly put pressure on Oculus to fix this problem? They effectively bricked my sim racing setup! Which solution does google come up with, because certainly can't find one? Where is the easy way to roll back to the previous version?
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    eahonen said:
    How about Robo Recall = same Unreal Engine 4?

Also, what nvidia driver?  I'm using 436.48 because I think it is the most stable right now.  Also, Win10 1909 with latest updates.

Edit; I just tried Robo Recall and it works fine with my Rift CV1.  I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Strange logic: "one-post wonders" "polluting" the forums. How about those "1522 post wonders" who comment everything even when the have nothing constructive to say :-) Some of us write only when we haven't found help elsewhere.
    But, anyway, I tested Robo Recall and that was running well so it's not simply Unreal Engine problem.
    And I indeed have checked ACC forums but haven't found anything about this problem yet. If someone finds a solution, I would be grateful to hear about it because ACC is my main game at the moment. Thanks.
    BTW my system is 9700K and RTX 2080.
  • wheel80iewheel80ie Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
     I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Sorry, but no you didn't. 

Forums > Assetto Corsa Competizione - SUPPORT > ACC Virtual Reality

And how's that childish LOLing business supposed to help? How is not warning others going to help? Because apparently, Oculus builds can't be rolled back.
    NerveGear
    wheel80ie said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
     I also looked at the ACC discussion board and I did not see any problems relating to Oculus Software.

Sorry, but no you didn't. 

Forums > Assetto Corsa Competizione - SUPPORT > ACC Virtual Reality

And how's that childish LOLing business supposed to help? How is not warning others going to help? Because apparently, Oculus builds can't be rolled back.

Thank you wheel80ie, now I finally found the right thread. Unfortunately no one seems to know any solution yet but it's useful to know that it is a common problem. I also started a ticket at Oculus support. No answer yet. Let's hope this will be sorted out soon.