cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 12.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 1/6/2020: We've seen some positive results from the latest PTC update we pushed out late last week so we're now starting to roll that out to the live, non-PTC channel as well. As always, if you experience issues, please utilize the Help Center > Provide feedback option within the desktop software or contact customer support. Thanks!

Important notes:

• In order to use Oculus Link, your PC software and Quest software must have matching version numbers. During this rollout, you may receive the v12 update on your Quest before you receive the PC v12 update, or vice versa. If you receive the PC v12 update before the Quest v12 update, you will need to wait until you receive the Quest v12 update before Oculus Link will work again. However, if you receive the Quest update first and are anxious to use Oculus Link again, you are welcome to opt into the PTC on PC to get to v12 more quickly. Please note that when v13 PTC rolls out, you will need to opt back out of the PTC and to stay on v12 and retain compatibility. The team is working hard to improve this experience so that this will not be an issue during future rollouts. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding!
  • In an effort to simplify our software update processes, we are aligning the software version numbers across all of our products. You will see this reflected starting in this release (v12). We will continue to post separate release notes for our PC software and the standalone / mobile headset software. For more information on our release processes, please review this FAQ post.

Rift S

• New social features powered by Facebook – Starting today, when you choose to log into Facebook from Oculus, you’ll be able to access new social features that make it easier for you to connect with other people, including:
    • Chats, so you can message your Oculus friends in or out of the headset with quick responses to hop into games together
    • Join your friends in VR directly from any device with links that open to where your friends are within an app.
    • User-created Events, so you can organize meetups or multiplayer games with friends
    • Share photos, videos, and livestreaming to Facebook, allowing you to share your favorite moments to Facebook Groups from VR
    • Parties that any of your Oculus friends can join (previously parties were only invite-only)
  • We’re updating the Oculus Privacy Policy to clarify that these social features are also provided by Facebook. The updated Privacy Policy clarifies how Oculus data is shared with Facebook to inform ads when you log into Facebook on Oculus.
  • Updated firmware to improve performance

Fixes

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements
If you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
306 REPLIES 306

Netheri
Rising Star
What? How about CV1? Is it's update line killed and buried? Edit: I mean there reads Rift S AND Rift, but no updates for "old" timer?
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

ShocksVR
Superstar

Netheri said:

What? How about CV1? Is it's update line killed and buried? Edit: I mean there reads Rift S AND Rift, but no updates for "old" timer?

All us Rift S users got were fixes, what do you need ? If it ain't broke no reason to try fixin it 🙂
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Just got done re-freshing (re-installing windows, thanks to AMD's driver problem),

Oculus Setup Crashed the AMD Driver the 1st time, the 2nd-4th time so far, it stops at "installing" and says something went wrong to restart windows and try again.

So:
Install Try #1, Crashes atikmdag.sys (Blue Screen for Service Ecxeption)
Install Try #2, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
Install Try #3, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
Install Try #4, Setup Stops and Says there was an error to restart the PC.
Cleared the Oculus Download Cache/Temp Folder
Install Try #5, Crashes atikmdag.sys again.

There's a bunch of users w/ Custom PCB 7970s that are having problems installing any Driver after 18.12.1.1 for AMD, and I think the problem maybe Oculus.

(I had Oculus on my system first during my April Rebuild before I installed AMD's drivers).

So,
AMD Drivers being installed after Oculus leads to a BSOD Loop for atikmdag.sys Service Exception.
AMD Drivers being installed before Oculus leads to a BSOD Crash during setup, in the last little bit of the progress bar, just when you hear the sound for a device being taken off.

SkateZilla
Expert Protege
Unplugging my rift HDMI until after setup stopped the crashes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder why Oculus does not just go ahead and run a PTC for the Quest software also, so uses of Link that are running the latest PTC for Rift S and opt into the PTC for Quest and remain on same version.
Seems like Quest is getting more meat on the bone so to speak in the updates, and having a PTC for it also might be pretty beneficial. Would help for those running Oculus Link.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Agreed, the lack of control over update timing is putting me off switching to Link rather than using my CV1. (That and the ongoing microphone dysfunction with Link, although this one isn't as big an issue for me because I'm not playing a lot of MP games at the moment).

ShowbizDonkey did mention that they are working on improving this situation for future updates,so that's something.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Netheri
Rising Star

ShocksVR said:

Netheri said:

All us Rift S users got were fixes, what do you need ? If it ain't broke no reason to try fixin it 🙂

I would need non-lagging Home 2 start in every time i start the VR-system and i would also need working panel pullout also from second monitor instead of exclamation marked panels. There's couple of biggies for starters.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Akmenos
Honored Guest
Hi, i have Oculus Rift, since this release, i have no sound on launched games by Oculus App, on the same game launched by steam vr I have sound. Before this i had sound in game 🙂

Edit: I have sound on my "VR Home" only

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Quick update: we've added some social bullets to the release notes that reflect the new features outlined in this morning's blog post.