New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Rift S purchase made pointless by the Quest Link

Am I the only one here who would have preferred a Quest but had to purchase the Rift S for the PC games, only to find a month later that limitation is removed?  Am I the only one here feeling royally ripped off?

Do Oculus have any buy-back against the Quest?

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    You are not the only one.... but no there is no buyback.

On the bright side, the rift S does have the edge over the quest over all for pcvr. I just hope it gets the hand tracking that quest is getting this week
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • reaperukreaperuk Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    From what I can tell the hand tracking isn't coming anytime soon, if at all :(
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    I do not see why this cannot be brought to the Rift S.

Doesn't the Rift S have the same camera technology as the Quest?
    Actually it has 1 more camera than the quest does it not?

Is it a case of the developers not coding for PC, but for mobile chipset only?
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • AlarisAlaris Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    reaperuk said:
    From what I can tell the hand tracking isn't coming anytime soon, if at all :(

There has not been word one way or another for Hand-Tracking for the Rift-S.  They are at he very least doing it first on the Quest, as it is presumably easier to do for a single hardware architecture (IE, the Quest Hardware), rather than any number of different PC setups.

If it's popular, I'm sure they will work to make it available for the Rift S... it just might take time.  They likely don't want to promise that they're working on it if they can't guarantee it.  
  • sfinneysfinney Posts: 4
    NerveGear

I would make the case that one reason why hand tracking has hit the Quest first is that the headset has on-board processing. It's hard to know for sure, but if I had to wager a guess, the hand tracking 'software' is *in the headset* where the Rift S will of course have the hand tracking software on the client PC which is I am sure a whole different can of worms.