New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sub 40% GPU usage despite low framerate and sub 25% CPU usage in steamVR (2080ti, r5 3600, rift S)

BaekriBaekri Posts: 1
NerveGear
Since i've received my Rift S a few months ago, i've been avoiding steamVR because of really wonky performance.

My specs are:
R5 3600
2080ti (this model has 11gb of vram)
16gb of 3200mhz ram
Rift S

GPU frametimes will spike nonstop while the GPU usage is permanently stuck under 40%. This is while my CPU frametime stays below 5ms consistently. This results in an average framerate of approx 40-45fps in steamVR, occasionally spiking to the high 60's. I'm measuring this through SteamVR's advanced performance graphs, and confirming via MSI afterburner. Ram and Vram usage and are always sub 85%, but amount used depends on the title. At this level of performance, there are constant graphical smeary almost-watery artifacts, which i assume are a result of reprojection to compensate for my subpar performance.

Approximately one out of ten to fifteen launches of SteamVR, performance will be great, GPU usage will hit about 60%. This will continue for about an hour or two, when performance will decide to degrade as my GPU usage over time reduces its usage to under 40% and park itself there.

This doesn't happen in any non-VR applications, and I can't find anyone else with similar symptoms online.

With the release of boneworks, this sort of breaks the physics engine in that game, making it near unplayable compared to two instances in which i've had really good performance for about an hour or two.

I have not noticed any similar symptoms when SteamVR is disabled.

What can I do to kick my GPU's ass into submission? Lazy prick.

Comments

• masterx1234masterx1234 Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Baekri said:
    Since i've received my Rift S a few months ago, i've been avoiding steamVR because of really wonky performance.

My specs are:
    R5 3600
    2080ti (this model has 11gb of vram)
    16gb of 3200mhz ram
    Rift S

GPU frametimes will spike nonstop while the GPU usage is permanently stuck under 40%. This is while my CPU frametime stays below 5ms consistently. This results in an average framerate of approx 40-45fps in steamVR, occasionally spiking to the high 60's. I'm measuring this through SteamVR's advanced performance graphs, and confirming via MSI afterburner. Ram and Vram usage and are always sub 85%, but amount used depends on the title. At this level of performance, there are constant graphical smeary almost-watery artifacts, which i assume are a result of reprojection to compensate for my subpar performance.

Approximately one out of ten to fifteen launches of SteamVR, performance will be great, GPU usage will hit about 60%. This will continue for about an hour or two, when performance will decide to degrade as my GPU usage over time reduces its usage to under 40% and park itself there.

This doesn't happen in any non-VR applications, and I can't find anyone else with similar symptoms online.

With the release of boneworks, this sort of breaks the physics engine in that game, making it near unplayable compared to two instances in which i've had really good performance for about an hour or two.

I have not noticed any similar symptoms when SteamVR is disabled.

What can I do to kick my GPU's ass into submission? Lazy prick.
    There is nothing you can, Ever since Oculus released the 12.0 update it has fundamentally messed up most VR games, In most games I never see the CPU or GPU go above 50%, its as if there is some sort of artificial limit there keeping the hardware capped at 50% and lower, It makes no sense. 
  • NumberXer0NumberXer0 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Yup, its not your PC and don't let anyone tell you it is. Oculus fucked up. Bad. I've posted in a bunch of topics about this, but I'll keep doing it. I don't appreciate having a 500 dollar paperweight because of their refusal to rollback an update that they messed up. Keep bumping this shit to the first page.
  • ASchneiderBRASchneiderBR Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hello everyone! 

Oh man, I have the same problem here. Playing SteamVR with an i7 and a 2080ti, CPU and GPU usage never exceeds 50% and I have a ton of reprojection, studdering and low FPS randomly. 

Anyone managed to fix this?

Thanks.  
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,572 Valuable Player
    Sounds strange - I'm using the Index and a GTX 1080 and I've got great performance in SteamVR, no problems at all (or none that I know of - just ran Boneworks Index res 200% 2xMSAA in solid 90 fps - and same for Alyx' Homes). Have you tried to see here if other users have similar problems and may have found solutions?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/ (check bug report, troubleshooting etc.)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    This is a known issue and has been reported widely in other posts but they just get buried over time. I have a support ticket open since 2.5 months ago and the last response was that they believe they have a fix and are testing it now. He stated that the problem is definitely software related (driver/firmware).
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • CafuddledCafuddled Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have this issue also. I can't play half life alyx because if it, or any steam VR game. A good example is Pavlov VR. It gives you the option of running in oculus vr mode or steam. Select oculus and its buttery smooth, no issues at all. Select steam VR amd it's a vomit inducing mess!

More on this, Steam VR home is also running like complete garbage. It used to be buttery smooth. Something has happened with steam vr and oculus, but it's not everyone. I'm continuing to work on this but so far the best I can do is make Half Life Alyx barely playable by setting the HLA.exe to high priority and vrserver.exe to high. That got rid of the lag but still has terrible stuttering and low framerates.